• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best bowler to tour AUS since Ambrose ?

Best bowler to tour AUS since Ambrose

• Steyn

• Kyle Abbott

• Bumrah

• Tremlett

• Any other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mudassar played that series iirc. ****ing loved that guy. Good opener and a handy medium pacer as well.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Imran actually had two really great series vs very strong Aus batting lineups in 1976(great WPM despite more ordinary average), and 1982/83. And he was magnificent in WSC as well. He wasn’t maybe Ambrose/Hadlee level great in Aus, but he was a great bowler in Aus, especially at his peak. His last series messed up his record a little, in addition to the fact that he has a great series in 76, but his average is somewhat misleading for that series.

subshakerz

International Coach
Imran actually had two really great series vs very strong Aus batting lineups in 1976(great WPM despite more ordinary average), and 1982/83. And he was magnificent in WSC as well. He wasn’t maybe Ambrose/Hadlee level great in Aus, but he was a great bowler in Aus, especially at his peak. His last series messed up his record a little, in addition to the fact that he has a great series in 76, but his average is somewhat misleading for that series.
The 76 series, especially the Sydney spell, was the making of Imran the fast bowler.

And he was man of the series against a strong side in 81.

Unfortunately injuries stopped him from bowling there at his peak in 84. And I don't really count the 90 series since he was playing as a bat mainly.

So his record as a proper bowler in Australia from 76 to 81 would be 41 wickets in 8 tests @27, which is terrific.

subshakerz

International Coach
After the 1st test of the series last year, I thought Rabada would take the mantle of best to tour since Ambrose but he followed that up with crap bowling in the next two tests.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Fun fact: Imran doesn’t count as since Ambrose

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Steyngun ..That 10for at the MCG 08 is iconic ..
That outswinger to Michael Clarke in 12 when he was literally Bradman for a year , one of the best deliveries ever bowled.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
I chose Bumrah for this, but I’d say Imran> Steyn for me in Aus clearly, cause he played similarly great batting lineups and took 40+ wickets in 8 games, in his first two tours. Even did damn well in WSC. If he’d not played the last tour, which he did primarily as a bat, he’d be seen as one of the greatest visiting bowlers to Aus, just one step below Ambrose/Hadlee.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Also I’d rate Imran>Wasim, cause Wasim’s best series in Aus was not against not that great a lineup in 89/90, although he had a great series in 95/96 as well. Imran’s WSC bowling clinches it for me