• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Australias most feared batsmen

Australia would most miss which batter at the moment

• Hayden

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Langer

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ponting

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Martyn

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Gilly

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Clarke

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Lehmann

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
The difference being, Symonds is in a team with at least 3 players who are a lot more feared than him - Flintoff isn't (I mean who would you prefer to bowl to, a top 3 of Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting or Treescothick, Solanki, Vaughan?)
So then I find it strange for you to make a comment thatSymonds only has two ODI 100s.

Eclipse

International Debutant
SquidAU said:
Hayden. Whether in ODI's or Tests, he can usually take game away from a team in a few overs. Bashes the ball around and bowlers don't know what to do, so they bowl worse and he bashes them more. Never ending vicious circle after that! :D
In ODI's I rate both Gilly and Ponting much better hitters than Hayden.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I doubt England will bother with that, just let Harmison put him firmly on the back-foot then put in the fuller on and watch him edge it to slip - just like in the Champions Trophy. Easy as shelling peas really...
Pretty confident considering you're talking about a lineup that is, as yet, fairly untested against the best sides in the world facing one of the all time great opening batsmen with a test average of over 55. ;)

Still, it WILL be a battle to watch. There's no doubt in my mind that right now England are the second best team in the world with the recent failings from South Africa and India, and therefore the upcoming Ashes tour promises to be the best (at least in buildup) in 20 years.

twctopcat

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Pretty confident considering you're talking about a lineup that is, as yet, fairly untested against the best sides in the world facing one of the all time great opening batsmen with a test average of over 55. ;)
Bowling is bowling, it isn't that complicated. If we put it in the right places Hayden will get out, 55 average or not.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
what you don't realise is that it does become complicated. the bowlers consistently have to adjust their lines and lengths to hayden and langer, use different movement to both batsman, and still execute plans. and if i were england, i'd be concerned about hayden's poor recent form

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
what you don't realise is that it does become complicated. the bowlers consistently have to adjust their lines and lengths to hayden and langer, use different movement to both batsman, and still execute plans. and if i were england, i'd be concerned about hayden's poor recent form
England should be terrified of South Africa then

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
put it this way, everyone's major problem when playing australia is that you could run this poll on any other country, and would only have 4 (india probs 5) batsman who you would fear - australia have 7 named here, and thats excluding symonds and katich, who both average well in international cricket

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
that was just taking the p*ss out of my own argument...don't we allow self-effacing humour on this site?

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
that was just taking the p*ss out of my own argument...don't we allow self-effacing humour on this site?
Absolutely not. In year 6 in Perth, the teacher told us that self put-downs were strictly forbidden! :p

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I cant belive that no one mentioned Clarke at all, with that youthful, "im awsome" thing hes got going on, espeicially in ODI.
I wouldn't say he is the most feared (Vote 1 Gilly), but maybe worth a mention. Perhaps in 4 or 5 years the pole will change.

LongHopCassidy said:
Opening game of the World Cup.

Australia 4 for 87 after 20 overs.

They end up on 310 after the Symondsinator smashes 143.

Frankly he WOULD be my most feared in ODIs.
When he does it again..and again I will start agreeing with you. He is not the only batsman to single handedly win a match, so to speak.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Joao_Quinto said:
When he does it again..and again I will start agreeing with you. He is not the only batsman to single handedly win a match, so to speak.
He hasn't looked back since then, what with his 91 vs Sri Lanka, 37 vs NZ under pressure (it lasted till the second last ball) and sparkling century against Pakistan.
I don't need to conjure up waves of statistics to tell you he has been a consistent matchwinner for Australia over 2003 and 2004.

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
LongHopCassidy said:
....he has been a consistent matchwinner for Australia over 2003 and 2004.
Consistant matchwinner is a little disrespectful to the rest of the team, dont you think?
Consistant performer, yes, but matchwinner, I would consider Michael Jordan, Diego Maradona and The Don to be consistant match*winners*.

Although, as always, just my humble opinion.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Well I don't think you can comment that Symonds has two ODI 100s because of those in front of him in the order.
That makes no sense to me. Care to explain what you mean so that I can respond appropriately?