• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Australias most feared batsmen

Australia would most miss which batter at the moment

• Hayden

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Langer

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ponting

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Martyn

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Gilly

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Clarke

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Lehmann

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ponting. He's annoying when he gets set, because he'll punish you.

Hayden and Gilchrist are obviously very dangerous as well, but you're more likely to get a gifted wicket from them, rather than from Ponting when he gets past 50.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Since you werent specific i guess you asking who is overall the most feared player,tests/odi's.
I would have to say ponting.When he gets in hes very tough to dislodge and he can take attacks apart as good as anyone.
Hayden is dangerous in tests but hes not that special in one dayers.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Jono said:
Ponting. He's annoying when he gets set, because he'll punish you.

Hayden and Gilchrist are obviously very dangerous as well, but you're more likely to get a gifted wicket from them, rather than from Ponting when he gets past 50.
He has always been a bit like that..

he can be dislodgable once he get's going.. and be free stroking to.

Craig

World Traveller
twctopcat said:
Definitely Ponting and Martyn in tests. Hayden will be bounced out and Langer is still susceptible to the swinging ball. With Ponting and Martyn though it isn't so easy.
Hayden bounced out?

When was the last time that's happened (and I have more or less seen every single Test Hayden has played since he came back in 2000 bar one)? :blink:

And saying stuff that it happened when he had a big score on the board doesn't count.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
I remember Hayden getting out from the hook a couple of times in the last Ashes series.

Of course, he'd already scored 100...:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Granted - but be fair to the guy on what position he bats in.

Your comment there is like me saying something along the lines of Flintoff only having two ODI hundreds.
The difference being, Symonds is in a team with at least 3 players who are a lot more feared than him - Flintoff isn't (I mean who would you prefer to bowl to, a top 3 of Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting or Treescothick, Solanki, Vaughan?)

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Not excatly being 'bounced out'.
I think you're right there. Hayden has never been bounced out, although he has been tempted into hitting the ball down the throat of the deep square leg fielder on more than one occasion.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Casson said:
I think you're right there. Hayden has never been bounced out, although he has been tempted into hitting the ball down the throat of the deep square leg fielder on more than one occasion.
Exactly my point, he has been tempted. My point was that he hasn't faced Harmison on form and has never faced Flintoff in tests. They did fairly well to ruffle the feathers of a mr lara this summer and he's not known to be bad at the short ball. And let's not get into the lara va hayden debate. I was just trying to point out that his eagerness to dominate bowlers can be his downfall.

twctopcat

International Regular
Oh yeah 4th test 2002 ashes at MCG hayden hooked caddick to fine leg alex tudor for 1, was almost out the same way in the 5th test as well if i remember correctly. Just thought i'd give some examples.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Exactly my point, he has been tempted. My point was that he hasn't faced Harmison on form and has never faced Flintoff in tests. They did fairly well to ruffle the feathers of a mr lara this summer and he's not known to be bad at the short ball. And let's not get into the lara va hayden debate. I was just trying to point out that his eagerness to dominate bowlers can be his downfall.
Thats an interesting point. It will be good to see this battle. But there is no merit , before that, to suggest that Hayden has a chink in his armour as far as quick short pitched bowling is concerned.

twctopcat

International Regular
SJS said:
Thats an interesting point. It will be good to see this battle. But there is no merit , before that, to suggest that Hayden has a chink in his armour as far as quick short pitched bowling is concerned.
I just thought back to the end of the last ashes series where i remember that was the impression i got. To be honest i haven't seen evidence recently but then again there isn't that much good short pitch bowlers in the world, or should i say there weren't.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
I remember Hayden hooking during the 1st Ashes Test down the throat of Simon Jones on the boundary. He caught it as he traveled over the boundary rope, and threw the ball back into the field. Hayden was reprieved (I don't think he had passed 50 yet). I think he ended up making nearly 200 and IIRC his dismissal was from gloving a short ball.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
twctopcat said:
I just thought back to the end of the last ashes series where i remember that was the impression i got. To be honest i haven't seen evidence recently but then again there isn't that much good short pitch bowlers in the world, or should i say there weren't.
seems to me that your version of bouncing out is the defensive and typically english version, with two men out on the fence and hoping that the batsman will hit one down ur throat. the australian people in this thread would probably recognise it as having a leg gully in, and a short leg , and trying to attack the batsman (which wouldn't work with a proficient player off the back foot like hayden), instead of waiting for a mistake. if england take these sort of tactics into the test (softcore bodyline :P) then they can have fun taking catches ten rows back

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
ok, the original post i made said "Symonds should be on that list", i didnt say he IS the most dangerour/feard or whatever... he should be on the list,and that's all i said

if langer is on it, and lehmann is on it, so should symonds...

if the list were merely "gilly, punter, and haydos" i wldn't have said symonds shld b there

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
seems to me that your version of bouncing out is the defensive and typically english version, with two men out on the fence and hoping that the batsman will hit one down ur throat. the australian people in this thread would probably recognise it as having a leg gully in, and a short leg , and trying to attack the batsman (which wouldn't work with a proficient player off the back foot like hayden), instead of waiting for a mistake. if england take these sort of tactics into the test (softcore bodyline :P) then they can have fun taking catches ten rows back
I doubt England will bother with that, just let Harmison put him firmly on the back-foot then put in the fuller on and watch him edge it to slip - just like in the Champions Trophy. Easy as shelling peas really...

twctopcat

International Regular
vic_orthdox said:
Scaly piscine summed it up perfectly, but you can say whatever you want. But if we get him out by him hitting it 3 miles in the air then it doesn't matter where the field placings are. :D

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
His physical strength is his mental strength, yes I'm talking about him.

My vote goes to Matty Hayden....so damn virile he is.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Hayden. Whether in ODI's or Tests, he can usually take game away from a team in a few overs. Bashes the ball around and bowlers don't know what to do, so they bowl worse and he bashes them more. Never ending vicious circle after that! :D