• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Australias most feared batsmen

Australia would most miss which batter at the moment

• Hayden

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Langer

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ponting

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Martyn

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Gilly

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Clarke

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Lehmann

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
gilly is one of thooose batsman... he can have scores like :

20,10,7,15,7,251,6,9,34 etc. He can come up with a gem when he's not in form
If I had to choose one not to play against us next summer it would be Gilchrist. Not that he's necessarily better than Hayden & Ponting, but having someone that good coming in at 7 really isn't fair. At least you can have a crack at Hayden and, hopefully, Ponting with the new ball.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
twctopcat said:
Definitely Ponting and Martyn in tests. Hayden will be bounced out and Langer is still susceptible to the swinging ball. With Ponting and Martyn though it isn't so easy.
I think that England tried bouncing Hayden last they were out here at the Gabba. If I remember rightly he got something like 190 on the first day of the series.

Slow Love™

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Hayden is the most consistently destructive batsman without a doubt, although Ponting is all class and on recent form so is Martyn. I can't believe Gilchrist is the second most popular vote - on recent form he wouldn't come close to making the Australian side as a batsman.
I can understand Gilly being rated so highly in the poll - the subject is "most feared" rather than most accomplished, best form or most classy.

I don't think these things are always decided on averages or form, necessarily. Gilchrist's capacity to wreak massive damage over a comparitively short time (often regardless of conditions or circumstances), as well as his ability to bat very well with the tail, has to threaten anybody. Kinda like Flintoff - even if his performances hadn't been nearly as spectacular over the last year, he'd still make the grade as a batsman that opponents would fear disproportionately to others. I guess it's the ability to dominate and humiliate the bowlers and captains.

For me, it's always those kind of players, or the immovable ones (like Waugh through the middle of his career).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
mavric41 said:
I think that England tried bouncing Hayden last they were out here at the Gabba. If I remember rightly he got something like 190 on the first day of the series.
I wonder who was bowling that day. Jones didn't last long, of course, so I guess that leaves Hoggard & Caddick, neither of whom has the pace to bounce anyone on an easy track. I'm not saying Hayden wouldn't cope, but short stuff from Harmy & Flintoff would at least be a more even contest.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hayden and Ponting, i fear those two when they play India. Martyn may be in form but he's not the type that instills fear in you. He may be classy but not scary.

Rich2001

International Captain
The most feared batsman for me would be Gilchrist...

Simply because of his aggression and the unexpected.

We all know Hayden, Langer, Ponting etc could score big runs all day long but at the end of the day you know what you are getting with them, they will do roughly the same each inngs etc whereas with Gilchrist has the unexpected part and has free role to do as he pleases down the order, he can turn a match in a hour with some big hitting and it's quite a demotivator when you get the top order out and you think your through the hard part when a guy with a 200 to his name walks in at number 7!

If however you said which batsman would you most like to get out then I would say Ponting, he is the Australians Mr Consistant.

twctopcat

International Regular
vic_orthdox said:
i can't wait to see england bounce out matthew hayden...no wonder you've struggled for the last 15 years.
Thought that would get you aussies going. :p
However Harmison bouncing and Caddick bouncing are very different things. And Hayden does like going after them.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
why not Australia's two best batsman ?
hayden had significant problems in england last time so i wouldnt guarantee that he will score this time, while ponting while hes been pretty good hasnt exactly scored prolifically against them. regardless he isnt in any sort of form at the moment so i wouldnt put money on him being the best batsman in that series.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
2 tons in his ODI career - nowhere near as worrying as the top 3.
yes and he does bat at 5 and 6 not at 3. id say anyone with an average of 38 at a SR of 90 is definetly someone who should be feared.
incidentally klusener only has 2 centuries in his entire career, so unless you wanna come up with a reasonable explanation as to why klusener shouldnt be feared(at least in his prime) i think symonds should be considered a serious threat.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Looking at it this way - if I could choose one Australian batsman to average below ten in the Ashes, I'd pick Ponting.

Second choice would be Gilchrist, then Hayden.

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Looking at it this way - if I could choose one Australian batsman to average below ten in the Ashes, I'd pick Ponting.

precisely......

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
yes and he does bat at 5 and 6 not at 3. id say anyone with an average of 38 at a SR of 90 is definetly someone who should be feared.
I refer you to the thread title.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:

I can't pick between them - can we opt for all 3 to?

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
I refer you to the thread title.
and i refer you to your post which says why should he be on the list itself. theres plenty of reason why symonds can be considered to be their most feared player in ODIs. just like someone like flintoff is englands most feared player in ODIs ahead of tresco.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
2 tons in his ODI career - nowhere near as worrying as the top 3.
Granted - but be fair to the guy on what position he bats in.

Your comment there is like me saying something along the lines of Flintoff only having two ODI hundreds.

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
hayden had significant problems in england last time so i wouldnt guarantee that he will score this time, while ponting while hes been pretty good hasnt exactly scored prolifically against them. regardless he isnt in any sort of form at the moment so i wouldnt put money on him being the best batsman in that series.
If they keep producing wickets in England like they did this year, last year and in 2002, Hayden will score plenty.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
twctopcat said:
Thought that would get you aussies going. :p
However Harmison bouncing and Caddick bouncing are very different things. And Hayden does like going after them.
shoaib trying to bounce and blast out hayden (and the whole aussie attack) and harmison are different thigns too, and shoaib was hardly successful

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
LongHopCassidy said:
Opening game of the World Cup.

Australia 4 for 87 after 20 overs.

They end up on 310 after the Symondsinator smashes 143.

Frankly he WOULD be my most feared in ODIs.
Symondsinator? hahahahaha

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
if you have a look at the title of the poll, it states "Australia would most miss which batter at the moment?". instantly you have to rule out the batsman who don't play in both forms of the game - clearly they are not as valued or important as those who play in tests and ODIs. therefore symonds should not be considered as a batsman who australia would most miss, neither langer