• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you have pegged for your 4 semi finalists?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Of course number of overs will play a big role - both NZ's big wins came when they were chasing and Pakistan's big loss came against WI who were also chasing. So it's not going to impact the absolute run differential in a big way.
You were right. NZ down to 0.175

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
NZ very lucky their washout came against India. Have looked like club cricketers against non minnows

I feel bad for Pakistan

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India
England
Aust
SA or WI (for the 4th spot).

India to win, mainly due to England wading to the pressure of being home favourites. Also I'm not sure England have a plan B with the bat, if they do lose a few early on.

Surprised so many picking NZ in their top 4, they just don't have enough quality players for me. Since they decided to pick Southee (who we all know has been garbage in ODIs for nearly 5 years) & Henry (who's good for 3-4 overs with the new nut if it swings, only to then become the most hittable 135km straight dart bowler you could imagine with no decent variations), the writing is on the wall .. They have only two good bowlers in Boult (who's a little inconsistent) and Santner. I'd have been much happier with Milne and Kuggeleijn, than Southee and Henry., but hey what can you do Gavin.
Well I got 3 out of 4 right (dated 09 April)

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
In hindsight the NZ/Bangladesh thriller at the start of the tournament was the most important match in deciding the semi-finalists. As others have said even though they haven't qualified for the knockouts this has been the most impressive Bangladesh have been at a World Cup.

What a missed opportunity by Sri Lanka with their South Africa. They could've been playing for a spot in the semis if they'd won that.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ very lucky their washout came against India. Have looked like club cricketers against non minnows

I feel bad for Pakistan
Yeah even as a NZ fan I concede we are lucky to make the semis, along with being sour as hell given how poorly we've been playing.

That said, Pakistan would have been lucky to make the semis as well. For a side that was annihilated by the West Indies, and almost got pipped by the Afghans, there was every chance SL would have beaten them in their washout.

And yes, NZ were lucky to get the point against India, who would probably beat NZ 8 out of 10 times, but we shouldn't ignore that particular washed out game was on a damn and greenish track (remember the covers were off but it was the wet outfield that was the problem), similar to the seaming conditions NZ destroyed India on in the warm-up a week or so earlier, the type of venue that would very much even up the odds between NZ & India.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Yeah even as a NZ fan I concede we are lucky to make the semis, along with being sour as hell given how poorly we've been playing.

That said, Pakistan would have been lucky to make the semis as well. For a side that was annihilated by the West Indies, and almost got pipped by the Afghans, there was every chance SL would have beaten them in their washout.

And yes, NZ were lucky to get the point against India, who would probably beat NZ 8 out of 10 times, but we shouldn't ignore that particular washed out game was on a damn and greenish track (remember the covers were off but it was the wet outfield that was the problem), similar to the seaming conditions NZ destroyed India on in the warm-up a week or so earlier, the type of venue that would very much even up the odds between NZ & India.
Pak have beaten two out of the four semi finalists and I'd probably favor them to beat Bangladesh also, the only real other contender outside the top 4, if it wasn't a dead rubber. I'm happy to see them out but their absence robs the knockouts of a great deal of intrigue.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would have been more afraid of playing Pakistan in the semis - over NZ or England. I think India could lose to both NZ and England for sure, but a resurgent Pakistan would have been the most difficult to handle.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Well I got 3 out of 4 right (dated 09 April)
The three you did get right were no-brainers. My mother got those ones right, and she died in 2010.

The 4th spot was the money spot. That's where the real coin was going to be earned.

Flem274*

123/5
all this whining about pakistan is very reminiscent of the crying that south africa couldn't defend 300 in 40 overs 4 years ago. boo ****ing hoo, if you can't finish ahead of this half arsed nz side because you can't beat the windies or whoever and limp over the line against afghanistan then you suck, and anyone who dare mentions net run rate and rain can hand the 1992 world cup back to nz thanks.

nz fans doing this is especially bad. do you think anyone from australia cares about their jammy jailbreaks this world cup? do you think the english will care about losing to sri lanka now they're in the semis? no, they don't, so stop sulking that we were slightly better than south africa, west indies and bangladesh on the day. that's why we are 4th and they are going home.