• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where Next For Kevin Pietersen?

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Well in no specific order since 2000:

1-3: Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, Brian Lara
4-7: Steve Waugh, Matthew Hayden, Rahul Dravid, Jacques Kallis
8-12: Kumar Sangakkara, Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Smith, Mike Hussey, Andy Flower
13-23: Inzamam-ul-Haq, VVS Laxman, Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Justin Langer, Adam Gilchrist, Gary Kirsten, Graham Thorpe, Mark Waugh, Shivnarine Chanderpaul
24-25: AB de Villiers, Mahela Jayawardene

Spark

Global Moderator
I would have Clarke over kp easily given their present form. In tests of course. In limited overs cricket clarke doesn't stand a chance.
I would remind you that ben thinks Clarke isn't even in the same league as Hussey...

In fact just see the last post. Hussey over Gilchrist, Laxman, Chanderpaul over the entire 2000's? Not to mention Jayawardene

---

However. On overall career Pietersen > Clarke for now simply because he's been performing longer (I realise they have played about the same number of tests but I put the first and second versions of Clarke in different categories. One is a proper test player, the other was a not current but a future test player) On form, though? No contest.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Mark Waugh better than Jayawardene? Wow, have you seen their records?
Now you know how I felt when cricinfo selected Vic Trumper over Hayden for Australia's alltime XI. ****ing bull****.

Seriously anyone who played outside of 2000 is a protected species when it comes to cricketing comparisons and anyone's success during the 2000's is easily forgotten.

AB de Villiers is a better batsman then Jayawardene and he'd be averaging 55+ in Test Cricket if he played the majority of his cricket in the subcontient and not on dicey South African tracks. Same goes for M Waugh in the 90s. What I meant by 2000, was any player who played post 2000, ie not taking their performances of the decade into account but there overall career.

Hussey > Gilly, Chanderpaul, Laxman & Jayawardene. Huss' success earlier in his International career has easily been forgotten, sadly.

Spark

Global Moderator
Now you know how I felt when cricinfo selected Vic Trumper over Hayden for Australia's alltime XI. ****ing bull****.

Seriously anyone who played outside of 2000 is a protected species when it comes to cricketing comparisons and anyone's success during the 2000's is easily forgotten.

AB de Villiers is a better batsman then Jayawardene and he'd be averaging 55+ in Test Cricket if he played the majority of his cricket in the subcontient and not on dicey South African tracks. Same goes for M Waugh in the 90s. What I meant by 2000, was any player who played post 2000, ie not taking their performances of the decade into account but there overall career.

Hussey > Gilly, Chanderpaul, Laxman & Jayawardene. Huss' success earlier in his International career has easily been forgotten, sadly.
Forgetting where your stumps are does that. For all of (the three years of) Hussey's success, for the entirety of last year he was a walking wicket - none of the above ever were.

EDIT: And I'm still not convinced he's entirely back to it. Look at his last four test dismissals - all caught at the wicket, so all bowled out rather than him giving his wicket away (which is what Watson, Ponting and Clarke have done). Keep in the ODI team - best ODI player in the world IMO - but his test days are numbered.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aravinda de SIlva easily etter than Mark Waugh in tests
Would agree with this so much it's ridiculous tbh.
Clarke > Hussey quite comfortably these days
and this too. TBF, Clarke in tests these days is better than virtually anyone except Sehwag and Tendulkar atm. I'm sure I've left others out, but imo he's right up there.
Clarke > Hussey AND Pietersen
Can't argue with that either atm. I think that Pietersen and Hussey in their pomp were better than Clarke, though I don't really think we've seen Clarke's pomp yet. I'm sure we've seen Hussey's (and it was wonderful) and we may have seen Pietersen's, but I suspect he'll be back.

Spark

Global Moderator
Would agree with this so much it's ridiculous tbh.

and this too. TBF, Clarke in tests these days is better than virtually anyone except Sehwag and Tendulkar atm. I'm sure I've left others out, but imo he's right up there.

Can't argue with that either atm. I think that Pietersen and Hussey in their pomp were better than Clarke, though I don't really think we've seen Clarke's pomp yet. I'm sure we've seen Hussey's (and it was wonderful) and we may have seen Pietersen's, but I suspect he'll be back.
He'll be back.

Both players ought to show their best over the next few years, as Hussey did when he was about this age.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Certainly agree with GIMH that we haven't really seen a purple patch from him yet, and I suspect that we will do at some stage in the next 2/3 years. In saying that though, can't see him finishing with a career average over 52/53 though.

Pothas

Agree on Clarke, he is pure class and I am guessing that he will score more runs thant anyone else in the next 5 years.

As for dear old KP just let him be KP, people will always say that he has not fullfilled his potential but I frankly do not care, has provided such enterntainment (both good and bad) and I am perfectly happy for that to continue.

Spark

Global Moderator
Agree on Clarke, he is pure class and I am guessing that he will score more runs thant anyone else in the next 5 years.

As for dear old KP just let him be KP, people will always say that he has not fullfilled his potential but I frankly do not care, has provided such enterntainment (both good and bad) and I am perfectly happy for that to continue.
If and when he does play his peak then that'll be something to see.

Pothas

Yeah but he would not be as fun then, I personally do not think he will ever have one of those amazing purple patches just don't think he is that sort of player but am very confident of him returning to the sort of form we saw before the captaincy debacle.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but he would not be as fun then, I personally do not think he will ever have one of those amazing purple patches just don't think he is that sort of player but am very confident of him returning to the sort of form we saw before the captaincy debacle.
True. He doesn't really want to change his approach to batting, so I don't see him ever "breaking above" - he'll just get out in silly fashions too many times. That might be what separates him and Clarke, as I'm hoping that Clarke finally fixes his really really annoying tendency to flash with no footwork and/or chip weakly down the ground.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I also think Clarke will end up with better career records than Pietersen... I have followed his career since he made his debut against India in 2004. His footwork is the best in the game ATM, IMO.

Sir Alex

Banned

I hate such shallow blanket accusations like 'oh he scores only on subcontinent must be flat bully' regardless of him averaging in the 60s or even 70s or that few non subcontinent batsmen have done similar. I would gladly take a batsman who averages 60 at home, flat tracks or not above another who averages 45 at home, but can probably do better on sticky wickets because as a whole my team benefits from the former than latter. Simple.

Huss was phenomenal in his early career, if you notice he hardly played anything outside australia in that period. On wickets he's played for more than a decade against attacks inferior to shield teams. Once australia started to tour frequently, huss's decline started.

Not that it discounts anything that he did in his first two years. But right now his career average reflects his overall ability more.

Spark

Global Moderator
I hate such shallow blanket accusations like 'oh he scores only on subcontinent must be flat bully' regardless of him averaging in the 60s or even 70s or that few non subcontinent batsmen have done similar. I would gladly take a batsman who averages 60 at home, flat tracks or not above another who averages 45 at home, but can probably do better on sticky wickets because as a whole my team benefits from the former than latter. Simple.

Huss was phenomenal in his early career, if you notice he hardly played anything outside australia in that period. On wickets he's played for more than a decade against attacks inferior to shield teams. Once australia started to tour frequently, huss's decline started.

Not that it discounts anything that he did in his first two years. But right now his career average reflects his overall ability more.
Not noticed that before but it's an interesting point. Did well in India though... then his form fell off the edge of a cliff. A very high cliff.