• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is first choice India fast bowling attack?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He is good, but in terms of an attack to win in the conditions we had, I feel the line up I posted is better. They may well drop Kuldeep and play all 3 seamers too, tbf.
Yeah fair enough. I'm a massive Shami fan tbh so happy to run with that every time. I just don't know if they'd do it to Ishant though, which is I suppose I should have asked. He was picked for nearly a decade when he was trash, I can't see them binning him now he's good.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** i hate this meme
Hey look, guys, Shri doesn't like something. Best we all stop crank it up to 11.

Seriously though Shri, you could lobby hard for a subforum for posts which contain the dropped meme.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah fair enough. I'm a massive Shami fan tbh so happy to run with that every time. I just don't know if they'd do it to Ishant though, which is I suppose I should have asked. He was picked for nearly a decade when he was trash, I can't see them binning him now he's good.
Yeah and I can actually see them play all 3 even in pitches like Ahmedabad for the D/N test or Kolkata etc.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
We’d play all 3 pacers, and Jadeja and Ashwin. Missing one of the latter 2 is huge. And if both the latter two are fit, I’d rather play with 3 seamers regardless of pitch — seeing as the seamers are great/world class etc, certainly as a combined unit.

We’ve played 3 seamers (Umesh instead of Bumrah) in the not too distant past - they actually took more wickets than AshJad.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming everyone is fit, which three would you pick for bowling?

1. Bumrah
  2. Shami
  3. Sharma
  4. Yadav
  5. Siraj
  6. Saini
  7. Shardul
  8. Kumar

I think I would have to go with the first three in my list?
Got to be Bumrah, Shami and Ishant. Ishant has been pure class for the last few years, Bumrah is the best performer and Shami is a superstar wicket taker. It is great to have Siraj around for rotation purposes also - he has shown that he bowls accurately and has a knack for wickets.

Niall

International Coach
Looking at the India tour of England this summer the 6 batting spots bar injuries are locked down whether people like it or not

Gill- Ro- Che- Kohli-Rahane- Pant

So that leaves the bowling and all rounders!

Shami, Bumrah and Ishant likely to the front line quicks so 2 spots left then, so comes down to Ashwin, Ravi and Pandya.

I don't think Pandya is bowling these days so makes the decision easy, but 2 spinning all rounders in England? Not sure if that will be needed.

Is Bhuvi a total goner when it comes to tests? It would benefit India if they had a number nine who could bat to a moderate standard.

Those 3 rabbits will cost India this summer .

Teja.

Global Moderator
Looking at the India tour of England this summer the 6 batting spots bar injuries are locked down whether people like it or not

Gill- Ro- Che- Kohli-Rahane- Pant

So that leaves the bowling and all rounders!

Shami, Bumrah and Ishant likely to the front line quicks so 2 spots left then, so comes down to Ashwin, Ravi and Pandya.

I don't think Pandya is bowling these days so makes the decision easy, but 2 spinning all rounders in England? Not sure if that will be needed.

Is Bhuvi a total goner when it comes to tests? It would benefit India if they had a number nine who could bat to a moderate standard.

Those 3 rabbits will cost India this summer .
Ashwin has been in great form with the ball in the last 2 series and was the best bowler for the first 2 tests in Australia, taking Smith’s wicket for cheap. He will backed to the moon and rightly so.

Jadeja has been averaging 50+ with the bat over the last few years in the no.7 role so his batting alone almost justifies his pick. He is also obviously a gun bowler and fielder. He played for only 7 days in Australia but lit up proceedings with a crucial 50 to support Rahane at the MCG and a few wickets along with a super creative 4-fer and an epic run out of Steve Smith in the first innings at the SCG before injuring himself while adding 30 from a 10th wicket partnership.

I think for the first 2 tests at least the team management should ideally pick both Ashwin and Jadeja. If it doesn’t work out, they can switch with Hardik or Thakur.

I think ideally Bhuvi should play in rotation with the three main pacers. However, the team management have indicated that they only consider him an LO option moving forward which is sad.

Niall

International Coach
Yeah best not to consider Bhuvi as they don't want him playing tests which is crazy when you consider how useful he could be especially in England.

Would Thakur be good enough in English conditions to displace one of the rabbits?

Would fix the Indian tail having a number 9 who wasn't a disgrace with the bat.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ishant is not as bad as you guys make him out to be, especially if he has a batsman at the other end and all he needs to do is just to survive. The short ball is far less of a problem in England than it is in rest of the SENA nations.

It is kinda nice that our best XI is so obvious though. Its a best of both worlds situation where we know our backups are very good too but we also know who the best XI is. :)

Rohit
Gill
Puji
Virat
Jinx
Pant
Jaddu
Ash
Ishant
Shami
Bumrah

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
It is kinda nice that our best XI is so obvious though. Its a best of both worlds situation where we know our backups are very good too but we also know who the best XI is.
Yeah this is the dream situation (and I agree with your XI).

Michael Vaughan recently said that England have an 'embaressment of riches' for Tests due to all of the options available. But really we have a number of batting and bowling options who have a case for being in the side but aren't proven Test quality. What you want is a settled XI of experienced, successful players with a pool of talented reserves who can fill in when needed. India have exactly this at the moment, New Zealand too. Australia are like that with their bowling but have batting slots up for grabs. England only have 4 or 5 players who are really established in Tests and a big group of fringe players who may or may not make it. 'Rotation' is a current buzzword, but having a first choice XI who have won a lot of cricket matches together is a big deal.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah this is the dream situation (and I agree with your XI).

Michael Vaughan recently said that England have an 'embaressment of riches' for Tests due to all of the options available. But really we have a number of batting and bowling options who have a case for being in the side but aren't proven Test quality. What you want is a settled XI of experienced, successful players with a pool of talented reserves who can fill in when needed. India have exactly this at the moment, New Zealand too. Australia are like that with their bowling but have batting slots up for grabs. England only have 4 or 5 players who are really established in Tests and a big group of fringe players who may or may not make it. 'Rotation' is a current buzzword, but having a first choice XI who have won a lot of cricket matches together is a big deal.
Also having too many keepers can actually be a bad thing. We had it during the time between 2002-2005 till MSD settled in.

Niall

International Coach
Not much for India to grumble about after winning three series, but I wonder will those in charge look to ease the workload of Bumrah and Shami in tests? Watching Krishna , its obvious why both are so essential to the limited overs team.