• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is first choice India fast bowling attack?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You can see him get a bit of swing and seam movement here

He doesn't get mad h00p, but he moves it enough to be a threat at his pace. Can get some reverse too. Not sure if this is something he does regularly or if it happens occasionally. I'm sure I've seen him move some in his early India LO appearances as well. This Aus tour is the first time I've seen him be gun barrel straight, but it's also the first time I've seen a significant amount of him bowling in red ball cricket.

Not sure if he's worth persisting with. He's 28 now and pretty low down in the pecking order. Red ball is his strongest format, but there is no Ranji cricket for him to go back and play in till covid is sorted either.
Nah, disagree. I think Thakur and Siraj are the ones whose strongest format is the red ball or even the pink ball. Think Saini is still a better white ball bowler than red ball.

cnerd123

likes this
Navdeep's FC stats (avg 28.9, SR 60) are better than his List A (avg 30.24 econ 5.28) and T20 (avg 31.36 econ 7.35) stats tho.

Indian selectors always take top Ranji performers and put them into the limited overs teams first, especially when it comes to fast bowlers. Just because his best performances for India so far have come in T20Is doesn't mean that he's better suited to white-ball cricket.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Navdeep's FC stats (avg 28.9, SR 60) are better than his List A (avg 30.24 econ 5.28) and T20 (avg 31.36 econ 7.35) stats tho.

Indian selectors always take top Ranji performers and put them into the limited overs teams first, especially when it comes to fast bowlers. Just because his best performances for India so far have come in T20Is doesn't mean that he's better suited to white-ball cricket.
His list A stats look pretty decent when you take out his horror ODI stats

I think his best format is probably T20s. Don’t think he’s quite cut out for international cricket in the other formats at this stage.

Would make a reasonable Sri Lankan bowler though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Siraj has a superb first class record (better than Saini). No wonder he took no time in finding his feet in test cricket.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Thakur bowled absolutely terribly on the first day of the fourth test, like genuine gutter standard. He was then suddenly world class on the morning of day 2 and got more movement than any other fast bowler in the test match.

He sure is mercurial but looks like he can really turn it on on his day and be destructive even at test match level. Looked heaps better than Saini IMO who seems more disciplined but even at his best doesn't seem to have close to the same upside/match winning potential as Thakur.

Anyway, it's early doors. I just hope a few more opportunities are given to Shardul in the 14 or so tests we play in the nest 12 months and he remains as possessed and hungry to prove himself as he was as the Gabba.

Shri

Mr. Glass
yeah cool

just bin saini and make sure that porel is part of our squads

thakur should know that there's someone waiting for his spot if he ****s up

Burgey

I think that's pretty fair tbh. So two of the three played last week, and tbh aren't they likely to only pick two of them at home? I wonder who they would run with if all three were fit but only two could play.

Who would they drop?

Drop.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think that's pretty fair tbh. So two of the three played last week, and tbh aren't they likely to only pick two of them at home? I wonder who they would run with if all three were fit but only two could play.

Who would they drop?

Drop.
Ishant, unfortunately. But they will also rotate the three to get them to play 3 tests each. :p

ROTATED
O
T
A
T
E
D

Burgey

Think you should go and rotate tbh.

So the only member of their first choice attack not available for the first test was Jadeja?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
While @Burgey really kicked off this off when Anderson was dropped for the first Test in Sri Lanka, I'd like to bring up my amazing bit of foreshadowing a couple of weeks earlier, even though I made a typo in it:

1613036754867.png

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think you should go and rotate tbh.

So the only member of their first choice attack not available for the first test was Jadeja?
And Shami... I still think at full strength, we play Bumrah, Shami, Ashwin, Jadeja and Kuldeep at home. So you can work out how many were missing. :p

Burgey

Nah, no way does Kohli drop Ishant. Especially not now he's actually good. Mayne Shami ahead of Bumrah given the latter has never played in India before, and let's be honest it didn't do his stats much good last week when he did so.

As for Kuldeep, they literally dropped him. He was available and not selected. That's dropped.

Dropped.

Daemon

Ishant, unfortunately. But they will also rotate the three to get them to play 3 tests each. :p

ROTATED
O
T
A
T
E
D

Did you mean
.................D
.................E
.................T
.................A
.................T
.................O
DETATOROTATED
.................O
.................T
.................A
.................T
.................E
.................D

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah, no way does Kohli drop Ishant. Especially not now he's actually good. Mayne Shami ahead of Bumrah given the latter has never played in India before, and let's be honest it didn't do his stats much good last week when he did so.

As for Kuldeep, they literally dropped him. He was available and not selected. That's dropped.

Dropped.
He is good, but in terms of an attack to win in the conditions we had, I feel the line up I posted is better. They may well drop Kuldeep and play all 3 seamers too, tbf.