• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think of Harbhajan Singh?

What do you think of Harbhajan Singh?

• Total voters

archie mac

International Coach
Very much the exception though, and I think probably Pakistan has been a little different. I always loved how Ganguly got under Waugh's skin - and he was Mr. Unflappable. Man, I miss that guy's captaincy.
Yes Ganga was another one who annoyed the Aussies, I remember Waugh coming back after a tour of India and being asked what he thought of Ganguly and he said "he is a prick!"

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He speaks very good english compared to some past players. I think they (pakistan/Indian) used to talk back to the Aussies in Hindi or urdu (spelling), but Harby gives it back in english, and leaves do doubt to his point of view.

I have to say I quite like him, and would love him in the Aussie team, especially now we don't have a spinner:-O
Its a sea change. One of the criterea used to appoint Indian captains in the past used to be fluency in English, just so there wouldn't be any hassles in interacting with the opposition captain and the media. The rest of the players just didn't need to learn an entirely new language. Its different now. Harbhajan is one who's learnt the language over the course of his career. Brett Lee is similar to a lesser degree, he admittedly knows quite a few expletives in Hindi, although I haven't heard him use those on the field.

There was an interview of Kaluwitharana on cricinfo recently, where he mentioned how he got under Warne's skin in his playing days. When sledged by Warne, Kalu responded with an "I love you" in Sinhalese. Warne obviously couldn't understand him and got all flustered and demanded that he restrict his sledges to the English language. :laugh:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More than just good TBH. I've never seen a better series from a spinner personally.

But yea, it's been pretty downhill from there, on all fronts.
I've got the DVD and watched it live too, was pretty destructive. Don't think Warne ever ran through any side two Tests in a row like Harbhajan.

Burgey

Yeah that was an amazing period of time for him. Quality finger spin. Don't think I've seen better from one spinner in a series than that.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Sorry all, couldn't be bothered reading all the posts (probably do it later).

Harbijan is a great bowler, probably underated by many. Very dangerous if the conditions are right.

I have a slight suspition on his action (always wearing long sleaves is often a giveaway for me with finger spinners) but then again I've got suspitions over the actions of almost all modern off-spinners.

But I guess what this is all about is his personality; which is probably an ordinary one. He has his days when he comes across as likeable and even funny, but usually he just seems a prick. I guess maybe it's that he's just not like most indians (humble, polite, pleasant); instead he comes across like the worst of the Americans. And like most Australians I just can't stand Americans.

Overall he is an individual, and that has to be respected, but he could sure use an attitude adjustment (don't think sooky Sreesanth is the one to give it to him) ..... maybe an old school hard nut cricketer could give him a slapping.

If he got rid of his carrying on (mainly not recognising when he's overstepped the line, he keeps going further) we'd be left with a quality bowler, with a quirky personality and good humour, then I'd be happy.........but thats just dreamin

cheers

Bracken

U19 Debutant
He didn't say '**** you', he was misunderstood. :ph34r:
It's so unfair. People conveniently edit the footage just to make the poor guy look bad.

If you see the tape from the previous over, Harbhajan was enquiring as to where Pietersen got his swanky new shoes. Pietersen informed him that the shoes, while looking like the real thing, were actually crafted out of that artificial leather substitute, Naugahyde.

Harbhajan, of course, couldn't believe that such fine footwear was anything but real cowhide, hence the incredulous, "Fake Moo?!?".

Poor Harbhajan. Always getting the rough end of the stick.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Couldn't care less about what sort of personality he has. Obviously gets fired up in the heat of a contest, difficult to judge a man based on that.

As a cricketer, well a fantastic off-spin bower. Obviously will be remembered as a step below the other great modern day spinners in Shane Warne and Muttiah Muralitharan, which is no disrespect to him.

Can be a wonderfully attacking bowling when conditions suit. Remembering back to that 2001 series, he was simple mesmorising at times. Had that aggressive approach to the wicket with a whirling of the arms, and was making the ball loop and then spit off the pitch. I can't recall a time other than Singh's effort where a spin bowler looked likely to take a wicket with nearly every single delivery. Shame that test series was so short, would have put his performances up there with the greatest efforts of all time.

Nowdays he is a very consistant off-spinner, still capable of taking a bag. Serves more purpose as a stock bowler, sending down 30 overs for the day and not going for too many runs. Still get the feeling that he is always a couple of poor test series away from being dropped.

Evermind

International Debutant
It's so unfair. People conveniently edit the footage just to make the poor guy look bad.

If you see the tape from the previous over, Harbhajan was enquiring as to where Pietersen got his swanky new shoes. Pietersen informed him that the shoes, while looking like the real thing, were actually crafted out of that artificial leather substitute, Naugahyde.

Harbhajan, of course, couldn't believe that such fine footwear was anything but real cowhide, hence the incredulous, "Fake Moo?!?".

Poor Harbhajan. Always getting the rough end of the stick.
I believe you have misinterpreted him.

Harbhajan was actually speaking Hindi, in which he said "Farah Kyun?" roughly translated as "Why the joy?" because he saw Pietersen jumping about. He is a poetic and a humble man, and I can't believe all these vulgarities are being put in his mouth.

Uppercut

What is it about Neville that makes him a ****? I claiming ignorance here, but he doesn't seem like Diouf.
Neville's not a ****, don't listen to this ABU progaganda.

He just hates Liverpool, as do all decent folk. Once he was ranting about how much he hates them and his curiously-named Dad told him to stop because he was going to get himself into trouble. Neville responded, "But i do hate them, Dad!"

When United beat Liverpool undeservedly with an injury-time goal, Neville then did this in front of the Liverpool fans. He truly is a legend.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
I believe you have misinterpreted him.

Harbhajan was actually speaking Hindi, in which he said "Farah Kyun?" roughly translated as "Why the joy?" because he saw Pietersen jumping about. He is a poetic and a humble man, and I can't believe all these vulgarities are being put in his mouth.
Hard to decifer if this is actually sarcasm. I'll just presume it is.

*(note a cheeky, smiling smiley helps with sarcasm interpretations)

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Well, first off, he's always struck me as a wanker, first with the various off-field incidents (i.e - with the slightly less detestable Sreesanth), then what he does on the field. Being hard and competitive is one thing, but you can do it without crossing the line like he does (I think of Sydney and the English Ashes team of 2005 when I say this).

As a Test bowler, he reached his (admittedly incredibly high) peak in 2001, then has been slowly sliding down ever since. In fact, since 2006, he's generally struggled to be penetrative at all, with the odd 5-wicket haul here and a few good home games keeping his figures afloat. Like just about every other Indian spinner, he's very good at home and struggles overseas (I say this with the knowledge that he recently took a 6-fer against New Zealand). He is Test-class, though. He also has more variation and generates more turn than most off-spinners - plus he still gets the odd delivery to climb on the batsman.

He is also ODI-class - he doesn't take that many wickets, but he's generally economical and a very good death bowler.

The fact that he is generally given more leeway than he should received hasn't really helped his temperament or behaviour, but that is the fault of the Indian public as much as it is his. If he was an Australian, he'd be pounded like Andrew Symonds was for his recent indiscretions.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well, first off, he's always struck me as a wanker, first with the various off-field incidents (i.e - with the slightly less detestable Sreesanth), then what he does on the field. Being hard and competitive is one thing, but you can do it without crossing the line like he does (I think of Sydney and the English Ashes team of 2005 when I say this).

As a Test bowler, he reached his (admittedly incredibly high) peak in 2001, then has been slowly sliding down ever since. In fact, since 2006, he's generally struggled to be penetrative at all, with the odd 5-wicket haul here and a few good home games keeping his figures afloat. Like just about every other Indian spinner, he's very good at home and struggles overseas (I say this with the knowledge that he recently took a 6-fer against New Zealand). He is Test-class, though. He also has more variation and generates more turn than most off-spinners - plus he still gets the odd delivery to climb on the batsman.

He is also ODI-class - he doesn't take that many wickets, but he's generally economical and a very good death bowler.

The fact that he is generally given more leeway than he should received hasn't really helped his temperament or behaviour, but that is the fault of the Indian public as much as it is his. If he was an Australian, he'd be pounded like Andrew Symonds was for his recent indiscretions.
I agree, but I also think he's sobered up since slapgate. He was suspended from the IPL and lost around 3 crore Rupees, which is a lot. He did shoot his mouth off in the press around the time the contents of Ponting's diary were being published, but I don't blame him for that. But he's curbed his on field antics and generally concentrated on his cricket. He's got to get some credit for putting an effort into reforming himself.