• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waqar|Saqlain|Wasim|Akhtar played twenty one ODI's together, Analysis.

Your favourite from the four?

• Shoaib Akhtar

• Wasim Akram

• Saqlain Mushtaq

• Waqar Younis

Results are only viewable after voting.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
yeh ik chill and im not. i dont hate india, infact my gf is indian too. Fk it most of my friends are indians anyways. i really dont give af abt either country's politics to discuss that. but like srsly 4 days in and im saudi, a beggar, getting condolences about jadeja being better then imran, ct was a time waste, getting narrated abt fixing stories of my team players im aware off, wheres my gabba win.

like ik youre all joking arnd (its obv lol), but you cant just be like that and go "chIll" & "desis together strong" after welcoming like this and not expect me to flame/troll back lol
Most of this forum rates Imran very highly. I had him in every AT XI I created here iirc.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks Jadeja is better than Imran. Jaddu though is a mighty fine cricketer and unfairly ridiculed by many, which is unfortunate.

I would say any new poster should read a lot of stuff here before posting. I myself did so for a long time. Gives an idea of what the forum is all about.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Saqlain was magical to start with, but I feel the novelty wore off once batsmen started figuring out doosra. Sri Lankan batsmen in particular figured it out because Kumar Dhamasena was able to decipher it (but could not bowl without throwing it). We didn't have the time to see how he would have adjusted, because his career came to an end in a hurry. The same happened much quicker with Ajantha Mendis, who was even more prolific than Saqlain during the time he lasted.

This is the biggest difference I see between Saqlain / Mendis and Murali. Murali's bowling was never worked out because he was improving it in every way he could. So was Kumble as an ODI spinner. Warne to some extent, but his exploits were more in test cricket.

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is the biggest difference I see between Saqlain / Mendis and Murali. Murali's bowling was never worked out because he was improving it in every way he could.

idk about saqlain being a mystery spinner like Ajantha. He was half of it and half proper good skills and had great ways of setting up batsmen like warne-murali.

I must admit tho, Ajantha's peak was mind boggling and better then saqlain's but it didnt last long as saqlains. So if we breakdown the years for analysis it'll be like this.

Mendis if you check by yearly performance had only one freak year of 2008 and remaining 6 years were like really really bad in tests, but in odis he should've been given a longer rope.

Mendis20082009-2015
Test average18.444.45
ODI average10.127.3

Saqlain1995-19981999-2004
Test average32.428.6
ODI average18.726.5

So conclusion, Mendis was figured out and regressing, extremely in tests, but in ODIs he was still great enough as a spinner for a longer rope. Unfortunately Sri Lanka's amazing Murali and Herath might've have nulled his position.

As for Saqlain, this is just tragic. His first four years were magic, following for the next five years he was going at 28.6 in tests and 26.5 in odis.
These are amazing numbers for a spinner who played so many away games. Matter fact in tests he was slowly improving his average as well. But one inning and Amir sohail put an end to his career.

Mendis was a mystery spinner, who had one of the greatest peaks for his magic. Saqlain despite innovating things like doosra, jalebi etc in the art of spin wasnt exactly a mystery bowler despite his purple patch. His stats regressed from unreal to still world class, of murali and warne's numbers.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
idk about saqlain being a mystery spinner like Ajantha. He was half of it and half proper good skills and had great ways of setting up batsmen like warne-murali.
And that is why it is bad of Saqlain to do down like he did, and zillion times worse for Mendis, after having the knowledge of how Saqlain regressed, not to develop his off break, that actually spun.

Mendis was a mystery spinner, who had one of the greatest peaks for his magic. Saqlain despite innovating things like doosra, jalebi etc in the art of spin wasnt exactly a mystery bowler despite his purple patch. His stats regressed from unreal to still world class, of murali and warne's numbers.
Most of Mendis' crap bowling comes down to that one monster series on roads in Pakistan, othwerwise he was serviceable. But then came injuries and being worked out and there was no future for him.

Saqlains numbers came down from World class to very good, Murali had an amazingly long peak in ODIs and as a result clearly #1 in ODIs, and Saqlain has no business being compared to an inferior ODI spinner as Warne.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Did a simple search and never been reported. Probably the only bowler to bowl the doosra with out any accusation.

interesting
Saqi had the cleanest action for a doosra. I mean it's relative because its the doosra, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a bowler that was effective with his doosra and had a cleaner action.

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
Saqi had the cleanest action for a doosra. I mean it's relative because its the doosra, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a bowler that was effective with his doosra and had a cleaner action.
he did a youtube video in urdu too explaining the anomaly why his and murali's arm/bones wouldnt bend over the stated degree while going for a doosra while others would. While explaining the entire physics and gripping behind the doosra delivery as well. The only people who call him chucker are usually the indians who put pakistani's in a bad light every way possible by dragging a sentence about how camera angles weren't hd enough/wore full sleeves even though Saqlain at a hundred occasions has worn half sleeves while doing doosras. Saqlain and murali always did it with the same fluid action of their other deliveries.