• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waqar|Saqlain|Wasim|Akhtar played twenty one ODI's together, Analysis.

Your favourite from the four?

• Shoaib Akhtar

• Wasim Akram

• Saqlain Mushtaq

• Waqar Younis

Results are only viewable after voting.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The only people who call him chucker are usually the indians who put pakistani's in a bad light every way possible by dragging a sentence about how camera angles weren't hd enough/wore full sleeves even though Saqlain at a hundred occasions has worn half sleeves while doing doosras. Saqlain and murali always did it with the same fluid action of their other deliveries.
You just can't help yourself, can you?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
The only people who call him chucker are usually the indians who put pakistani's in a bad light every way possible by dragging a sentence about how camera angles weren't hd enough/wore full sleeves even though Saqlain at a hundred occasions has worn half sleeves while doing doosras.
Please refrain from this type of posting. You'll usually see more Indian posters defend Pak players here while Pak posters simply cbf.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
@Ymaxxx, dude, who are you? Showing up in an Imran avatar? There is supposed to be only one guy in the Imran avatar on this forum, and that is not supposed to be you.

And honestly, your posting is so cringeworthy :sick:. Stop with the India Pakistan wars. You can't win, they're 1 billion+ of them out there :p

But seriously, why are you posting this kind of inflammatory stuff on here? seems like a youtube comments section
Smalishah/entire CW? to Ymaxxx.

Was a lurker here when you posted earlier, good to see you back!

Last edited:

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Since Ajantha Mendis' name came up, I'd say more than the deception, it was his accuracy that made him so hard to play. I just don't know what went wrong, he became a superstar in no time, may be there wasn't enough motivation there once he became so popular(happens with some people). Also, I wouldn't really call him a spinner, he was bowling these dead accurate slow-medium deliveries with minimal turn when he started off, much like Axar Patel, but with a better range and at a quicker pace.

If you look at any of his performances before he retired(videos are still there on YT I guess), he was bowling all over the place.

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
Since Ajantha Mendis' name came up, I'd say more than the deception, it was his accuracy that made him so hard to play. I just don't know what went wrong, he became a superstar in no time, may be there wasn't enough motivation there once he became so popular(happens with some people). Also, I wouldn't really call him a spinner, he was bowling these dead accurate slow-medium deliveries with minimal turn when he started off, much like Axar Patel, but with a better range and at a quicker pace.

If you look at any of his performances before he retired(videos are still there on YT I guess), he was bowling all over the place.
being a spinner isnt always about turning the ball left or right. Top spin is thing and he has different finger grips for them.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
being a spinner isnt always about turning the ball left or right. Top spin is thing and he has different finger grips for them.
I get it, but there is a difference between someone like Kumble/Axar and Mendis. Kumble could get the ball to dip and deceive the batsmen, Axar can beat the batsmen in flight(he does that a lot in domestic games depending on the pitch) although his main weapon is his accuracy and a mean arm ball that skids and stays low.

With Mendis, the ball more or less didn't dip, and the turn was also minimal(except when he played on turners) coz he didn't impart enough revs on the ball. I wouldn't really categorise him as a spinner, he was a slow-medium bowler with plenty of variations. Again, this in no way is a criticism and I find these kind of players a little more exciting to watch. It's just that I find it tough to call him a spinner.

There is a very similar bowler in the SL domestic scene at the moment - Maheesh Theekshana. Although he is still very raw, I am hoping to see him at the international stage some day. He bowls like Mendis, but also has a traditional off-spinner as his stock delivery.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Has anyone tried bowling the carrom bowl by flicking the index finger instead of the middle finger. I suppose it will turn the ball in the opposite direction with very little change in the action.

As for mendis, he needed a stock ball which did something other than going straight. IIRC Mendis bowled the carrom ball, back of the hand googly and a off break. I thought the off break had potential but it was the one he bowled the least.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Has anyone tried bowling the carrom bowl by flicking the index finger instead of the middle finger. I suppose it will turn the ball in the opposite direction with very little change in the action.
It's just psychologically superior to sway your middle finger instead of the index one.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasim definitely my favourite to watch. The one exception is whenever Shoaib was consistently over 150kph (or that one spell against NZ where he was consistently over 155kph) - that is just magic lightening. Waqar I think I never really saw near the height of his powers which seemed to be early to mid-1990s.

EDIT: Also lots of appreciation for when Saqlain bowled out England in darkness with doosras from 19 yards without the umpires noticing. Conscious that this was a Test match rather than the ODIs in discussion here.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Not actually. He put lot of backspin on the ball due to reverse magnus effect they pitched fuller than batsmen expected. That is why many batsmen got bowled or lbw off the back foot, beaten for pace against him.

However his style cannot be sustained for long. He was asked to get fitter and ad another stock ball rather than the finger flick. He had a good off break and a slider by then. But he was an idiot, and once injuries came he could not put the same finger flick any more.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Not actually. He put lot of backspin on the ball due to reverse magnus effect they pitched fuller than batsmen expected. That is why many batsmen got bowled or lbw off the back foot, beaten for pace against him.

However his style cannot be sustained for long. He was asked to get fitter and ad another stock ball rather than the finger flick. He had a good off break and a slider by then. But he was an idiot, and once injuries came he could not put the same finger flick any more.
I wonder whether this was possible with the less amount of revs he imparted on his deliveries. May be what you are saying is true, but I feel you really need to give it a rip get some dip or the reverse magnus effect that you are talking about.

Last edited:

karan_fromthestands

State Captain

As for mendis, he needed a stock ball which did something other than going straight. IIRC Mendis bowled the carrom ball, back of the hand googly and a off break. I thought the off break had potential but it was the one he bowled the least.
Extremely difficult to bowl, unless your fingers are really strong, you'll end up hurting yourself in the long run.

According to John Gleeson, he had the finger strength required to bowl it coz he spent his childhood milking cows.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Extremely difficult to bowl, unless your fingers are really strong, you'll end up hurting yourself in the long run.

According to John Gleeson, he had the finger strength required to bowl it coz he spent his childhood milking cows.
Easiest is to use the leg spinners grip and flick the ring finger. This gives a lot of control in amount of turn you can generate. The amount of spin can be varied between a front of the hand leg spinner to a pure backspinner using the grip. Even some contrast swing is possible on the ball.