• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

VMMM, how are batsmen going to survive

Days of Grace

International Captain
I wouldn't say that. Kumar Sangakarra is in the top echelon of batsmen in the world today, while Mahela Jayawardene is a notch below that, and still a very fine player. At home Thilan Samaraweera is very effective, while Tillekeratne Dilshan is definitely a handy player to have in the middle order. Vandort and Warnapura look a little fresh, but both have had some success in the initial stages of their Test career, and both look promising.

Agreed. Sangakkara and Jayawardene are almost the best no.3 and no.4 pairing in the world today. Good to see Jayawardene scoring a ton in Australia last year. Until then, his record overseas was fairly poor (and still is).

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
I wouldn't say that. Kumar Sangakarra is in the top echelon of batsmen in the world today, while Mahela Jayawardene is a notch below that, and still a very fine player. At home Thilan Samaraweera is very effective, while Tillekeratne Dilshan is definitely a handy player to have in the middle order. Vandort and Warnapura look a little fresh, but both have had some success in the initial stages of their Test career, and both look promising.
Maybe I'm a little harsh but I have little faith in our batting line up. Sanga and Mahela are great but our batting line-up relies far too heavily on them. If either of the fail, the odds on us scoring less than 250 in an innings are so good you'd put your house up. I like both Vandort and Warnapura. I don't rate Samaraweera - he's a joke outside the subcontinent. Dilshan brings a lot of enthusiasm and his selection always results in the players around him trying to meet his standards in the field. However, his batting lets him down more times than not. He has no idea how to structure an innings and he's been around for far too long not to know that by now. Silva showed promise early on, but has been a total disappointment since the WC. Kapugedera likewise. The biggest problem I see is the fact we have no middle order batting prospects. There is little pressure on these batsmen I named who keep failing because there is no one kicking the door down.

Also what’s with people making Malinga out to be Shaun Tait? Erratic and inconsistent? Have you lot not seen him bowl in the last 2 years? I’m not trying to make him out to be McGrath-like, but he’s been decent to say the least

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe I'm a little harsh but I have little faith in our batting line up. Sanga and Mahela are great but our batting line-up relies far too heavily on them. If either of the fail, the odds on us scoring less than 250 in an innings are so good you'd put your house up.
  1. 2nd Test vs West Indies 2008, happened twice thanks to a good partnership between Dilshan and Silva in the first innings, then a superb rearguard from Samaraweera (with help from Vaas).
  2. Vandort's 82 at Brisbane, admittedly with some supprt from Jayawardene.
  3. Chamara Silva's debut century against New Zealand.
  4. Handy knocks from Kapugedara, P. Jayawardene and the bowlers

Excluding Bangladesh, I've found twenty examples in the past two years where Sri Lanka have scored 250+, and four of those (the ones listed) have been without their two premier batsmen contributing. Somewhat difficult criteria though, considering over the past two years Sangakarra and Jayawardene have both been averaging over 80. With form like that, if they fail, then most of the batting is likely to falter.

I like both Vandort and Warnapura.
As do I, but it is early days for that partnership and Tharanga Paranavitana has performed well domestically and could challenge for an opening birth if he gets an opportunity with Sri Lanka A.

I don't rate Samaraweera - he's a joke outside the subcontinent.
That he is, but it would be very harsh to replace him when he topped the averages for Sri Lanka's last two series and is a cut above other domestic batsmen in the country. For the moment he deserves his place in the side, but there is pressure on him to perform away from home like he did in the West Indies, or in 2005 tour to New Zealand.

Silva showed promise early on, but has been a total disappointment since the WC.
More than anything I'd say his treatment by selectors since the World Cup has been disappionting, and he can feel quite hard done by. The Sri Lankas were under-done before the Australian series and although he scored a pair of 40's and looked good in Brisbane Silva wasn't able to score many and couldn't convert his starts at home against England. He went to domestic cricket and scored 50, 7, 25 and 49 and also a half-century against the Guyana President's XI, but was overlooked for the 1st Test in the West Indies. Called up for the next Test he responded well, putting together a vital partnership with Dilshan to drag Sri Lanka to 278 in the 1st innings. I think it is fair to say his lack of ODI scores in 2008 led to his exclusion from the recently concluded series, which is a real shame.

Kapugedera likewise.
Kapugedara was never good enough to play Test cricket, not yet. No player should be picked for a tour of England with only three FC matches under their belt, especially whem you have barely turned 19. He was definitely picked purely on potential, something I am a firm opponent of, and his selection didn't pay off. He needs to go back to Colombo and get some experience and runs before the selectors even think about picking him again. At 21 he has plenty of time to develop into a Test class batsman.

The biggest problem I see is the fact we have no middle order batting prospects. There is little pressure on these batsmen I named who keep failing because there is no one kicking the door down.
To me it appears that four players are jostling for the two spots left in the middle order and Samaraweera and Dilshan are the most deserving candidates, though Chamara Silva is desperately unlucky and hot on their heels. There are other candidates, though whether the likes of Lanka de Silva (averaging almost 50 over the past three domestic seasons), Indika de Saram (49) and Avishka Gunawardene (45) are young enough to be given another go at Test level is debateable.

Also what’s with people making Malinga out to be Shaun Tait? Erratic and inconsistent? Have you lot not seen him bowl in the last 2 years? I’m not trying to make him out to be McGrath-like, but he’s been decent to say the least
Considering that the only real impression he's made at Test level was against New Zealand, a team that is regularly shot to pieces by anything other than fast-medium, I wouldn't call him decent at all. Even then he was fairly expensive, as he has been for the duration of his Test career. You can't expect to go at almost 3.8 an over and be a successful Test bowler, it just isn't viablee. FWIW over the last two years Malinga averages almost 45 with an economy rate of 3.7, definitely very poor, especially considering he played in England and New Zealand, conditions that should suit his style of bowling.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think anybody is trying to say that Sri Lanka's current bowling attack is anything better than quite good, but I think it is fair to say that currently, one can assume it to be the best in the world. While there are obviously weak links, such as the ineffective Vaas and erratic Malinga, it is still a strong unit, especially if the two seamers bowl well. Most other countries are fielding bowling attacks with doubt over the quality of one or more of the bowlers, but with Sri Lanka I don't think this is much of an issue..
Exactly the point i was trying to make. What attacks are better? Australia? They have a two-man attack, if a very good one. South Africa? They have no spin whatsoever. India? An aging spin attack and no pace attack. England? Looking strong enough at the moment, but i'd still give SL the edge. So they certainly have a case.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't rate Samaraweera - he's a joke outside the subcontinent.
But was easily the best batsman during last WI tour. Even in Aus tour he was there in teh middle for longer time than most of SL batsman. Samaraweera is a class act. Now he's in the form of his life. I am pretty sure he'll drag his average up to high forties.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Long held-out high hopes for Samaraweera TBH. Far more capable and adept batsman than Silva or Dilshan. Hopefully he's in the prime of his career about now.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He might be swinging the ball plenty, but that is very little use if it's too slow to be effective against good batsmen.
He took wickets in the recent Sri Lanka Vs India series bowling very medium pace on pitches which did not help him. I truly believe that 72mph, with swing and unnerving accuracy can pick up a good few Test wickets until a replacement can be found. It is true though that his days as a bowler who can take a five wicket haul in a Test more often than once in a blue moon are over.

Woodster

International Captain
I am quite excited by this Sri Lankan side, however they do need to prove themselves in all facets of their game away from Sri Lanka.

Mendis and Murali bowling in tandem will cause real trouble, even for the worlds best, depending on the conditions may depend the amount of damage they cause. Vaas for me is currently on borrowed time, and I do not anticipate too many series ahead for the great servant. Which means the likes of Malinga, Fernando, and Maharoof have to stand up and be counted.

The batting can look rather brittle. As said in previous posts a lot of the work has to be done by Sanga and Mahela, and whether Prasanna Jayawardene can forge a career at number 7 remains to be seen. His wicket-keeping however is not in doubt.

Dilshan, Vandort, Warnapura, and Samaraweera must consistently help out the big two if Sri Lanka are to post commanding first innings scores to enable their potentially dangerous attack to go on the offensive.

Precambrian

Banned
Sour grapes?
I wish I could be contradicted by facts. In fact, I'd be first to blow my head off!

Since inception at highest level of Cricket, Sri Lanka has failed to win even a single Test match in Australia, South Africa or India. 'Nuff said. Reason's been simple. Absence of quality backup to one man army Muthiah Muralitharan. And spin backup in form of Mendis alone wont do am afraid.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I wish I could be contradicted by facts. In fact, I'd be first to blow my head off!

Since inception at highest level of Cricket, Sri Lanka has failed to win even a single Test match in Australia, South Africa or India. 'Nuff said. Reason's been simple. Absence of quality backup to one man army Muthiah Muralitharan. And spin backup in form of Mendis alone wont do am afraid.
I didnt know that. Interesting

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The potency of that attack is greatly exaggerated.

Vaas is almost done, and will probably retire at the end of the year. Malinga is over-rated and is too much of a two length bowler. Mendis has shown a lot of promise but it is still early days, and we will know better in his second and third year and especially in his performances overseas. Murali is in decline and has been so for a little while now, although still capable of bowling good and sometimes destructive spells. But he will be less of a threat than he was during his long and magnificent peak, and this will become more and more noticeable this year and the next (after which I think he will retire).
Agree in its entirety

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Hmm, did not know that.

Even so, though, ignoring history and looking plainly at the strength of this attack, and more importantly the weakness of every other attack at this moment in time, they surely have a case to be number 1 in the bowling department. Better than India anyway :p

Precambrian

Banned
Better than India anyway :p
Don't forget both SL and India toured Australia the same season last year, and only one came out winner.

I think the bowling attack of India is being a bit underestimated here just due to a series loss in Sri Lanka. I believe while they they did have a bad outing in one of the innings, ie, the First Test, in the others they did fairly well, barring Anil Kumble. He was below par. And worst thing was he did not recognise that and over bowled himself, denting India's overall bowling figures. Ishant Sharma is only 19 and is looking better every series, and Zaheer Khan is a late bloomer. Harbhjana Singh finally seems to have found his flight back. I'd say India needs to breed another spinner and preferably a left arm spinner, either Ojha or the tried and trusted Murali Kartik.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Slightly off-topic, but why can't India find another geniune leg-spinner?
Amit Mishra seems a geniunly good bowler and should be in the setup within the 1-2 year period providing he has a good domestic season. He had a good FC season this year, with 46 wickets at 18.21.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slightly off-topic, but why can't India find another geniune leg-spinner?
Because it ain't as simple as "ah I want a leg-spinner, let's find one!"

Someone who possesses the skill first has to exist. And not very many do.

Nonetheless, Mishra and Chawla both have their promise.