• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Phillip Hughes

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Something in this vein has been mentioned in the thread already, but I think the ICC's Tweet on the matter was really poignant and touching:

he will forever be #63NotOut
Gone but not forgotten, forever in our hearts.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Simply horrible news and I’m struggling to articulate how I feel about it other than sick and in bits. For some reason – possibly convenience – I had managed to convince myself that he was going to pull through and that by the weekend we’d all be breathing great sighs of relief. A fine young player and, by all accounts, an even finer young man. He would have turned 26 on Sunday. Absolutely tragic.

The tributes to Hughes have been wonderful, and it’s pleasing to see the cricketing world also rallying around Sean Abbott, who must currently be going through the kind of hell none of us can contemplate, exacerbated in no small part because he’s done nothing wrong. Thoughts very much with him as well.

RIP Prince.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Vale Phillip!

Woke up to find out about this and am totally devastated. Haven't felt this low for a long time. Thoughts with his family and also Sean Abbott. Can't even fathom what he must be groing through now.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was listening to the radio on the way home, and the guys were talking about "what we can take out of this", the "lessons we can learn". Found it really frustrating, because I think there are no lessons to be taken from it. It's a freak accident; I've seen as more batsmen hit in the neck from throws at the stumps than from a short ball.

I loved watching him bat because he didn't do what everyone else was told that you had to do. PEWS once wrote a great paragraph on him about how he eventually adjusts, batting was like a puzzle to him and he'd eventually figure out what he had to do to score runs. He didn't have to change to bat like everyone else, but sometimes it felt like too many people were telling him that he did.

Training tonight was such a soulless affair. RIP.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I loved watching him bat because he didn't do what everyone else was told that you had to do. PEWS once wrote a great paragraph on him about how he eventually adjusts, batting was like a puzzle to him and he'd eventually figure out what he had to do to score runs. He didn't have to change to bat like everyone else, but sometimes it felt like too many people were telling him that he did.
It was during the Indian series and it came to mind today for me as well

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I just can't get my head round it. Saw the BBC link that sledger had posted on Facebook and ever since I've just felt like I'm in some weird dream. Keep clicking on his cricinfo profile and the fact that he's talked about in the past tense just doesn't register.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Also, well done to the Cricket Australia hierarchy on the press conference today. Very well managed, and put to bed some of that hysteria about ambulances.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well I almost went to shield game on tuesday. spare a thought for me thanks. and spare a thought for shuan abbott too

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rushed downstairs this morning to check the news as I had a feeling we were all in for bad news today, but yeah lost for words. I raged at the runs he scored against South Africa and this brings everything into perspective, a mighty fine player whose life was cut short just when we were all looking forward to seeing him in the baggy green again. The fact that he was again selectable after having that horror show against New Zealand a few years back shows what a fighter he must have been.

I guess we will all think of him when we put on our helmets and go out to bat, whatever level we play at. I don't think any cricketer would want any knee jerk reactions about our sport and the short ball. I doubt Hughes would have either. I hope Shaun Abbott comes back strong and one day wins matches that Hughes could have won, but right now I hope he has all the support he needs to feel and do whatever he needs to.

A classy gesture to suspend cricket for today. I remember watching a test match in New Zealand when Ben Hollioake died. Graham Thorpe was batting in tears and you just wondered what they were doing out there at all.

Thoughts with people on here who knew him better than myself. I'm not sure if closing the forum would be a good idea. I'm personally gutted at the news, but nobody I know here knows about cricket or about what happened, and I quite like just being able to read about the guy, what he did, and share some thoughts with people in our great game.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I am not saying people should agree with me and I would never want to get in the way of tributes and people expressing their feelings at a difficult time but it doesn't feel like a great time to be discussing this game which we all love. It feels appropriate to me if the forum closed for 24 hours and there was a place holder at cricketweb.net in memory of Phillip Hughes.
Great idea.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I just can't get my head round it. Saw the BBC link that sledger had posted on Facebook and ever since I've just felt like I'm in some weird dream. Keep clicking on his cricinfo profile and the fact that he's talked about in the past tense just doesn't register.

I'm much the same, it still doesn't feel real. I keep thinking that I'll check Cricinfo next week and he'll be 80* in a Shield game again. I mean, he was 25 ffs. 25.

uvelocity

International Coach
a good one from one of my mates:

Such a tragedy!!!!!! RIP Phil Hughes. I pray all the pitches are flat and hard and all the out fields are fast in heaven. Thoughts are with your family

howardj

International Coach
His uncrushable spirit...

Slog sweeping to bring up your maiden ton

Being dropped four times...then still fighting back to the cusp of another recall

#foreveryoung

Marius

International Debutant
Terrible news. Thoughts with his family, friends, and teammates, as well as Sean Abbott.