• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Phillip Hughes

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Press conference from St Vincent's Hospital now. Clarke read a statement from the family, James Sutherland from CA and Alastair Nicholson from the ACA. I think the medical team will probable answer questions.

Such a terrible thing. Sends you numb.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Win the Cup for Phil! Seriously, go out there and win it.
For the first time in my life I will be 100% with the Aussies in this WC campaign (well, just as soon as England make their inevitable early exit) I just can't think of a more fitting tribute for Phil Hughes than have the Aussies win the world cup at home in his honor.

uvelocity

International Coach
What a terrible shame. such a talent, so young. one of the good guys. only a few days short of his birthday too. rest in peace phillip hughes.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
**** man, I always find the incoming tributes the most devastating part. Properly in tears reading the thread, twitter and watching the press conference.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Unable to process this to be sober enough to be melancholic yet.

Just too freaky, weird and sudden. :(

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Awful news. The worst I've heard in 40+ years of following sports. Naturally my thoughts go out to his family, friends and team-mates who must be inconsolable this morning.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The neuro said the ball hit his neck and compressed his vertebral artery, causing a subarachnoid hemorrhage. Apparently extremely rare injury, only 100 ever recorded and one previous recorded case in history from a cricket ball. It just makes it all the sadder. So random and unlucky. Still can't believe it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Win the Cup for Phil! Seriously, go out there and win it.
not to take anything away from the sentiment because people express grief in different ways but personally I don't find tragedy to be an appropriate motivating factor for a sports tournament. Not trying to high horse or anything, just a different perspective.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I remember that away series vs. India last year, when Hughes looked out-of-sorts, uncomfortable in playing spin and generally like a walking wicket vs. Ashwin and co. But as the series wore on, he worked his arse off to improve and find ways to make runs. And he did towards the back-end of the series, making a 60-odd and a 40-odd in the last two Tests, in spite of being sawn off by two dodgy LBWs and unsettled by a freak delivery from Ishant Sharma.

You simply couldn't question his commitment. Will be missed.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I too readily assumed that he'd be fine again and it was just a matter of time rather than anything else. Not sure how much of that was down to a refusal to acknowledge the true severity of the injury but either way this has properly knocked me and was a literal wake-up when I rolled over to turn off my alarm and saw it on my phone about an hour ago.

It's already been said but no words can truly be enough and my thoughts are with everyone who knew, loved and cared for him.

I don't know who's stood at point up there in the ultimate test but it's not a good day for him either when Phil Hughes joins you on 63*.

You'll be missed.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know what to say. I watched Michael Clarke man up and deliver the hardest speech he has ever delivered at a press conference and then he just left because he was spent at the end of it. We love you were the last words. And **** what else is there to say really - not we loved you in past tense but we love you right now even though you are dead.
Someone at his eulogy is going to point out the fact that he died doing what he loved. He was in the middle making poetry with his bat. He undoubtedly lived for cricket and he died doing what he was put on earth to do. I am so happy Dan and Cabinet you shared that you are a bit misty eyed because I am well past that. This is all too much.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Bloody hell Burgey.........I'd only just stopped my sniveling and now I'm a blubbering mess again. Great piece mate, the warmth and respect you have for Hughes came shinning through in every word.....terrific effort under the circs.

the big bambino

International Captain
not to take anything away from the sentiment because people express grief in different ways but personally I don't find tragedy to be an appropriate motivating factor for a sports tournament. Not trying to high horse or anything, just a different perspective.
Grief is so powerful it is beyond words to alleviate. People feel the need to relieve themselves from the burden somehow and turning it into a motivation to honour someone's memory is both understandable if proof of the inadequacy any one of us to express it any better.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Still so sad at this. :(

Just so sad and freaky. Someone so young and so much potential too.

RIP.