• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ugly yet Effective Batsmen...

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ponting's quite attractive once he gets settled but he does have that ordinary lunge he does the beginning of his innings. Never understood why opposition teams don't straight away put in a bat pad on the off side or a silly-mid-off to him (regardless of whether there is a quickie or a spinner bowling).

Gilchrist chops down on the ball quite a bit but when you hit the ball that hard, have such a good eye and can pick gaps in the field that well you can bat anyway you want too......

At the end of the day a technique is a technique, and all batsmen should be encouraged to bat the way they feel most comfortable. Obviousbly this does have limits, but in general if they hit through the ball, hit straight as often as possible, time the ball well and get their head still and in line with the ball then those are the basics right there and the rest just happens. But all the great batsmen (with nearly no exceptions) do the above four.

dinu23

International Debutant
a massive zebra said:
Atherton, Boycott, Barrington, Kallis, Adams, Atapattu, Lawry .
I don't know how u can say atapattu is an ugly batter. u can't be refering to the attapatu of the SL team.he's one of the most stylish batsmen in the world.
And Kallis. i don't think u have watched him bat.

dinu23

International Debutant
nookie_lk said:
i would say

Aravinda De silva
Nasser Hussain
Ricky Ponting
hey nookie, tell me you're joking, mate! Aravinda an ugly batter. u must be joking!!

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
zinzan12 said:
strange choices, particularly Avavinda and Ponting

i donno man...but i think the way Aravinda played was not the best looking. and Ponting is not even close to good looking. But two great batsman...thats for sure. Aravinda is a hero in sri lanka.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nookie_lk said:
i donno man...but i think the way Aravinda played was not the best looking. and Ponting is not even close to good looking. But two great batsman...thats for sure. Aravinda is a hero in sri lanka.
Arvinda and Ponting are two of the most attractive batsmen to watch. I am surprised you think their batting to be ugly ! Very surprised indeed.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
SJS said:
Arvinda and Ponting are two of the most attractive batsmen to watch. I am surprised you think their batting to be ugly ! Very surprised indeed.

ok maybe Ponting....is OK...but i never saw Aravinda as a stylish batsman... :wacko:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nookie_lk said:
ok maybe Ponting....is OK...but i never saw Aravinda as a stylish batsman... :wacko:
I suggest you somehow find some old footage of Aravinda. He was a great to watch. Great eye, fast hands!!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12 said:
I suggest you somehow find some old footage of Aravinda. He was a great to watch. Great eye, fast hands!!
Very much a Mark Waugh type player from what I saw of him. Such a deft touch.

bryce

International Regular
found a list of some more ugly but effective bastman - people who actually saw them play may be able to comment,
Peter Willey, John Carr, Chris Tavare, Clive Radley and Jack Russell

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
bryce said:
found a list of some more ugly but effective bastman - people who actually saw them play may be able to comment,
Peter Willey, John Carr, Chris Tavare, Clive Radley and Jack Russell
Nice selections...

From memory.....

Chris Tavare made Geoff boycott look like Viv Richards....and

Peter Willey was forever asking the square leg umpire to start bowling....

and

Poor old Jack Russell batting was about attractive as he was

dinu23

International Debutant
zinzan12 said:
what about his hooks and pulls! man, I miss his shots!

dinu23

International Debutant
SpeedKing said:
As an English supporter i find that Chanderpaul has apretty ugly technique but is so damn effective.
totally agree. he has such a strange technique.the way he shuffles before the bowl is bowled, u get the feeling he'll fall down any second.