• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ugly yet Effective Batsmen...

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Some body said Kallis? Is that a ****-take or what?

Hard to go past Andrew Jones and his odd leaping about mannerisms, how he wasnt worked out is beyond me

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:
So basically we agree its not the shot but the way the batsman executes it that will make it look ugly.

Agreed.
LOL. Exactly. And my point being, the way Marillier executed his lap shots, it didn't look ugly...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Neither are batsmen as such, but of the English test players I've seen the two with the least aesthetically appealing techniques who batted to any serious effect are Jack Russell & John Emburey.

Emburey (ironically quite a classical off-spinner) was hideous on the eye; it seemed every one of his shots was premeditated: 3 or 4 defensive prods followed by an ugly hoik over the infield for two. Scored some useful runs for us down the order tho.

Russell was less awful on the eye, his unorthodox batting probably an extension of his personal idiosyncrasies. He seemed to present his bat at some v peculiar angles. He was arguably the best keeper of his era, but was generally overlooked in favour of Alec Stewart’s superior batting. I personally have a suspicion that Jack’s final test average of 27.10 will compare very favourably with our current incumbent’s (31.94 & falling) who is ostensibly picked ahead of another superior keeper on batting grounds.

bryce

International Regular
never saw him play - but i've often heard kepler wessels spoken of in this breath

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
The Maestro said:
Some body said Kallis? Is that a ****-take or what?

Hard to go past Andrew Jones and his odd leaping about mannerisms, how he wasnt worked out is beyond me
Surely not. He's a very effective batsman who happens to be bloody ugly! :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SJS said:
A lot of keepers would fall into that but I suppose we could excuse them as long as they are not ugly in their main job :)
I've no problem with ugly when it does the job, it's when it doesn't do it that I get annoed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
He was arguably the best keeper of his era, but was generally overlooked in favour of Alec Stewart’s superior batting.
But the stupid thing was that for a long long time, Stewart's batting average when keeping was worse that Jacks.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
And Gillespe is just ugly full stop

His batting

His bowling action

His honker

he looks like a career criminal! :puke:

:whistling