• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trouble in the English camp : Pietersen Vs Moores!?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did you actually read the article or is that just a reflex action?

It's a sensationalist headline that bears no resemblance to what Pietersen actually said.
I read the article and he has actually said those things (or pretty close). Sure, he threw in a lot of fluff about Straussy being a nice guy and all, but it's still self-centred and idiotic to say stuff like...

"You know what - I have never said this before - I lost the captaincy, I got rid of the captaincy for the good of English cricket, and we would not be here today if I had not done what I did then," Pietersen said. "There is no way in this world that we would have succeeded under that regime and would have won the Ashes again in Australia after 24 years."

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Obviously he strokes his own ego in it, but I think what he says is largely true.

First up, that we would not be where we are if Moores was in charge. He feels vindicated. Although there is the counter-argument that he wanted the backroom staff out, which included Flower, I think that just needs to be looked at in context as he obviously saw him as part of the Moores regime (as did some posters at the time). Given that there was a lot of sensationalism at the time, and Pietersen didn't do things quite as publcally as it initially seemed, I think he's right on the money.

Secondly, I take an inference that he admits Strauss is a better captain than he is. Sure, he glosses over how he lost the armband but there are definite overtones that he knows Strauss is the right man for the job.

All IMHO of course.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It could be argued that by doing what he did he knew he was likely to lose the captaincy and thus he did "get rid of it"

Think it's most likely been extremely poorly reported compared to what he actually said, but it wouldn't be the media if they didn't do that.

flibbertyjibber

I think he is trying to say that if he was captain England wouldn't have won the ashes and i think that is right. Whether his words have been twisted to be more controversial only he and the writer of the piece will know.

Whatever is written about KP generally has a negative spin on it anyway so i am sure that he and Strauss and co will take it with a pinch of salt.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be honest with the current set-up I suspect that Flower and Strauss will have been told by KP what he actually said (and probably in advance of the publication as well)

Uppercut

I don't think he says anything that isn't probably true. KP gets so horribly typecast by the media and when you actually see interviews with him he just seems like a very realistic guy. You get comments like "have you not noticed I'm a bit **** at Twenty20?" and the like, but it also means that when he was one of the best batsman around he knew that he was, and that goes down like a lead balloon in this country.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I don't think he says anything that isn't probably true. KP gets so horribly typecast by the media and when you actually see interviews with him he just seems like a very realistic guy. You get comments like "have you not noticed I'm a bit **** at Twenty20?" and the like, but it also means that when he was one of the best batsman around he knew that he was, and that goes down like a lead balloon in this country.
I had noticed that myself, I think the persona and "swagger" he shows with bat in hand makes a lot of people think he's more arrogant than he is.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Strongly AWTA.. He came across as a pretty straight and nice bloke when he was here in Chennai..

vcs

Strongly AWTA.. He came across as a pretty straight and nice bloke when he was here in Chennai..
Huge respect to him and his team for coming back in '08 after the Mumbai blasts. That part cannot be understated. :notworthy

But I don't have a high opinion of him as a team man.

Jacknife

International Captain
Agree, I have never had a problem with KP and I think he speaks a lot of truth, but the media loves casting him some sort of way and they always try to imo misconstrue every interview he does .
When I read the article, I thought he was being truthful and wasn't really saying anything different, to what he said when he he lost the Captaincy, that England wouldn't progress under Moores . He has taken it a step further, by saying England wouldn't have succeeded in Oz if him and Moores were still in charge, which for KP is really quite self-deprecating and giving Strauss & Flower the plaudits they deserve as well as the rest of the team. Nothing wrong with the interview except for the title, which is bull**** and underhand.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Huge respect to him and his team for coming back in '08 after the Mumbai blasts. That part cannot be understated. :notworthy

But I don't have a high opinion of him as a team man.
Interestingly, the first player to come out publicly to declare that the tour should go ahead was Strauss.

Jacknife

International Captain
Agree, I have never had a problem with KP and I think he speaks a lot of truth, but the media loves casting him some sort of way and they always try to imo misconstrue every interview he does .
When I read the article, I thought he was being truthful and wasn't really saying anything different, to what he said when he he lost the Captaincy, that England wouldn't progress under Moores . He has taken it a step further, by saying England wouldn't have succeeded in Oz if him and Moores were still in charge, which for KP is really quite self-deprecating and giving Strauss & Flower the plaudits they deserve as well as the rest of the team. Nothing wrong with the interview except for the title, which is bull**** and underhand.