• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top ten greatest bowlers and batsmen of all time

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Warne and Murali are two of the greatest spinners ever. Now that we've got that out of the way..... And he got clobbered by them as well. 93/94 Sidhu and Tendulkar pummelled him. 97/98 he got punished by those two + Azharuddin the same way Warne was that year. Next we come to 2001. Murali was outstanding, unlike Warne in his series against India that year. But while Warne faced a full strength attack capable of tearing any spinner to pieces, Murali faced the likes of Muhammad Kaif and Hemang Badani. Both Tendulkar and Laxman were missing on that tour. So really, That's all I'm saying, that Murali and Warne both got pummelled repeatedly by India's best batsmen against spin. Don't get me wrong, Murali did pretty well against us in 05/06 and brilliant in 08 as well and overall did better than Warne, but Warne had slightly worse luck in terms of timing whenever he faced us we had a freaking monstrous lineup, and missed that infamous 2004 match at Mumbai where he would have destroyed us... Clarke took 6/9 FFS :laugh:In conclusion, Murali did better against India, but Warne could've done well too, had he had some more luck. So I don't really look at their records against India when I try to separate them
So you are saying that Murali's 6 fivers against India vs Warne's only 1 is due in large part to luck and timing? How do you then explain the difference between their records in shorter format? Again Murali quite comfortably beats Warne.I don't know how some one can seriously argue that the difference between performances of two spinners against India is not considerable.

watson

Banned
So you are saying that Murali's 6 fivers against India vs Warne's only 1 is due in large part to luck and timing? How do you then explain the difference between their records in shorter format? Again Murali quite comfortably beats Warne.I don't know how some one can seriously argue that the difference between performances of two spinners against India is not considerable.

Warne in India: 9 Tests (1998-2004), 34 wickets, Ave = 43, SR = 81
Murali In India: 11 Tests (1994-2009), 40 wickets, Ave = 45, SR = 86

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Warne in India: 9 Tests (1998-2004), 34 wickets, Ave = 43, SR = 81Murali In India: 11 Tests (1994-2009), 40 wickets, Ave = 45, SR = 86
I like how this line of argument ignores completely that Murali took 5 fivers against India in 11 other tests. There's no basis whatsoever to believe that Warne would have had that sort of success against India if he got a chance to play them in Sri Lanka (which seems to be the implication). Just consider the fact that Murali has had multiple good to great performances against India across both formats, Warne has had zilch. Seriously, this is very flimsy argument. One would have better chance with a comparison on outside subcontinent performance probably.

watson

Banned
Pakistan wasn't great, only 3 matches but he didn't go well there
But his SR was on a par even if his average wasn't. A SR of 70ish across the board is pretty remarkable for a spinner.

Don't get me wrong, still prefer Warne and Murali, but I don't think that they're way ahead of the rest of the pack.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Because of Murali's and Warne's relatively poor showing in India, is it time to consider a heresy and suggest a more successful bowler as their superior - after all, the likes of Chandrasekhar failed no where;

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

(Just putting it out there)
Chandrasekhar didn't have to bowl to India in India though so in the end it's a bit rich to mark Murali and Warne down in comparison to him based on their records in that situation alone.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Chandrashaekeeara's name's too hard. Better to go just Warne and Murali.

watson

Banned
Chandrasekhar didn't have to bowl to India in India though so in the end it's a bit rich to mark Murali and Warne down in comparison to him based on their records in that situation alone.
True, Can't argue with that.

But I can't think of another spinner who has maintained his SR and picked-up regular wickets both Home & Away. It's this fact that impresses me the most. Especially as the Aus, England, and WI sides of the early and mid-70s were all reasonably strong.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Come on, so you're seriously going to just ignore the fact that I said Murali did better than Warne against India? Ok.

All i did was attempt to give some context to Warne's performances against India, instead of just saying he bowled badly. And no I didn't say the difference between them was luck, that would imply Murali was lucky. What I said was that Warne was unlucky not to ever face a less than full strength Indian lineup, the odds were always against him, that's all

ball

1.Wasim Akram
2.Marshall
3.Hadlee
4.SFB
5.Lillee
6.Allan Donald
7.Mcgrath
8.Murali
9.Ambrose
10.Steyn
.. Imran, Trueman, Warne , Waquar, Holding , Roberts,,,,,,

Bat
1.Sunil Gavaskar
2.Sobers
3.Sachin
4.Lara
5.Viv
6.Don
7.Pollock
8.WG
9.Hutton
10.Barry
... Hobbs , Headley , Hammond , Ranji , Trumper ....

All Rounders

1.Sobers
2.Mike procter
3.Kapil
4.Botham
5.Miller
6.Imran
7.Hadlee
8.Kallis
9.Goddard

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
From What I Have Seen...(roughly debut in or after, say, 1985)

Top 10 Bowlers

Curtley Ambrose
Glenn Mcgrath
Shane Warne
Muthaiah Muralidharan
Dale Steyn
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Allan Donald
Courtney Walsh
Anil Kumble

Top 10 Batsmen

Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid
Ricky Ponting
Jack Kallis
Steve Waugh
Inzamam Ul Haq
Mohm. Yusuf
Alastair Cook
Andy Flower

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
List for Today

Batsmen

10. Wally Hammond
9. Greg Chappell
8. Len Hutton
7. Vivian Richards
6. Brian Lara
5. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Garfield Sobers
3. Jack Hobbs
2. W G Grace
1. Donald Bradman

Just missed out: Ricky Ponting and George Headley

Bowlers

10. Fred Trueman/ Joel Garner
9. Richard Hadlee
8. Dennis Lillee
7. Curtly Ambrose
6. Shane Warne
5. Wasim Akram
4. Glenn McGrath
3. Sydney Barnes
2. Muttiah Muralitharan
1. Malcolm Marshall

Just missed out: Imran Khan, Waqar Younis, Allan Donald, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Holding and Alan Davidson

Last edited:

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
Batsmen

01> Sir Donald Bradman
02> Sir Garfield Sobers
03> Sir Viv Richards
04> Brian Lara
05> Sachin Tendulkar
06> Graeme Pollock
07> George Headley
08> Ricky Ponting
09> Greg Chappell
10> Adam Gilchrist ( 47 runs @ 82 Strike Rate I like better than say a 55 @ 45/50 Strike Rate - Moreover I've seen him throw his wicket away for quick runs when Aus were at 450/5 or 470/5 so many times .... Had run accumulating been his aim he could have done so on so many occasions but that wasn't the case ..... He was a special destroyer and I would be a sinner if he is not in my top 10)

PS : Lara and Tendulkar could maybe swap places (if u prefer consistency over peak brilliance) but then does it matter as they are both in the top 5 anyways?

Bowlers

01> Glenn McGrath
02> Dennis Lillee
03> Malcolm Marshall
04> Sir Richard Hadlee
05> Wasim Akram
06> Curtly Ambrose
07> Allan Donald
08> Fred Trueman
09> Dale Steyn
10> Waqar Younis

Gob