• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Worst Batsman You've Seen

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thats not relevant :@

Are you not familiar with THIS
Hey GuyFromLanks,

That was a mock 'smiley' and I genuinely wanted you to read THIS. It is one of the most fun threads we have had here or rather the thread i have had most fun writing in. Whenever you find the time, go through it. Its irreverent and funny.... at least it tries to be :)

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I like it SJS :laugh:, it seems to have wound a few people up as well.

Inspired by your machine and Richard's keen memory I have come to the conclusion that Chris Martin is grossly overrated as a batsman. That's right, overrated.

Richard pointed out that Martin's highest score, 12no, was scored against Balgladesh. It is now the done thing among pro observers (see Boycott) and amatuers (see Cricketweb) to exclude scores against this team when looking at test performances.

As of now, Martin's test average is a muscular 2.24. Without his massive score against Bangladesh this drops to 1.92.

Martin, you are busted.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I like it SJS :laugh:, it seems to have wound a few people up as well.

Inspired by your machine and Richard's keen memory I have come to the conclusion that Chris Martin is grossly overrated as a batsman. That's right, overrated.

Richard pointed out that Martin's highest score, 12no, was scored against Balgladesh. It is now the done thing among pro observers (see Boycott) and amatuers (see Cricketweb) to exclude scores against this team when looking at test performances.

As of now, Martin's test average is a muscular 2.24. Without his massive score against Bangladesh this drops to 1.92.

Martin, you are busted.
:laugh:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
What's your average in tests ?:huh:
The title of the thread is "The Worst Batsman You've Seen"

I fail to see any clause like "Test", "ODI", "FC", "ListA", "International", "Kings country", "Beef eating" etc.:ph34r:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Perhaps you are. I certainly know local club players who would at least average 10 in test cricket.
I highly doubt any local English club cricketer would average anywhere close to 10. It's one thing to average 50 in social park cricket but I doubt any of them would survive against International 140kph+ quality bowling, let alone average 10. I reckon 5 would be a more accurate assumption at best.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I highly doubt any local English club cricketer would average anywhere close to 10. It's one thing to average 50 in social park cricket but I doubt any of them would survive against International 140kph+ quality bowling, let alone average 10. I reckon 5 would be a more accurate assumption at best.
Nah, the best English club batsmen are a lot better than the worst Test batsmen who can scrape an average of 10. Club cricket can be pretty competitive, and quite a few Test players play the odd game in league, just like they do in grade cricket in Oz.

The pace of the bowling at Test level might take a bit of getting used to, but there are some quick bowlers (including Test bowlers) who play league cricket. If Jimmy Anderson can average 14 in Tests then the best batsmen at his club (Burnley) must surely be able to average a fair bit more than that.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, the best English club batsmen are a lot better than the worst Test batsmen who can scrape an average of 10. Club cricket can be pretty competitive, and quite a few Test players play the odd game in league, just like they do in grade cricket in Oz.

The pace of the bowling at Test level might take a bit of getting used to, but there are some quick bowlers (including Test bowlers) who play league cricket. If Jimmy Anderson can average 14 in Tests then the best batsmen at his club (Burnley) must surely be able to average a fair bit more than that.
AWTZaremba.

Should also say Jim Higgs was terrible. Chris Martin-like tbh.

Debris

International 12th Man
Didn't Bruce Reid once face out the last over of an ODI as a maiden with 2 to win? Toss-up between him and Chris Martin.

Wasn't there a SL bowler who only had one hand? Can't imagine he was too handy with the bat.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah mate, we had a chat re the Reid over earlier - turned out was vs Chris Pringle in an ODI here in Australia.

The batsman I remember with one hand was a Pakistani left arm seamer - iirc was Azeem Hafiz (sp?). I remember him dropping a catch at fine leg in 83-84 and Richie Benaud saying what a terrible effort it was. In fairness, I don't believe Richie thought it was him fielding there.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain

Correct. Some of out tracks up here are minefields, and that's before you get to the crosswind. In poor conditions our local club team sets 100 as the target for a 50 over match. The most common kind of bowling is medium-fast off-cutters that can be unplayable on poor surfaces and there are still a few batsman who average 40ish.

I firmly believe that once accustomed to the pace they would easily average 10 in test cricket.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The batsman I remember with one hand was a Pakistani left arm seamer - iirc was Azeem Hafiz (sp?). I remember him dropping a catch at fine leg in 83-84 and Richie Benaud saying what a terrible effort it was. In fairness, I don't believe Richie thought it was him fielding there.
Ha ha there's a blast from the past. As a budding young left-armer of six years old in the 83/84 summer I remember seeing Azeem Hafeez and thinking he could end up being quite a hero for me. Turns out Pakistan had another left-arm quick of slighty higher calibre about to make his mark.

Sir Alex

Banned
Ok. Here goes...

He is the only batsman in the entire history of the game who, even after having played fifty (or more tests) has never ever been dismissed once he gets into double figures !!

Just imagine. The guy just needs to settle down which means nothing, just getting those first ten runs, and then, no force in the world can remove him from the crease !!!
:dry::dry:
:lol: Awesome SJS!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The worst ever to bat in Test cricket is Les Taylor of Leicestershire who played a couple of Tests for England in 1985 and was allegedly on the 1986 tour to the West Indies.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha ha there's a blast from the past. As a budding young left-armer of six years old in the 83/84 summer I remember seeing Azeem Hafeez and thinking he could end up being quite a hero for me. Turns out Pakistan had another left-arm quick of slighty higher calibre about to make his mark.
Quick OT quiz question: give me two facts about 1970s Pakistan left armer Liaqat Ali