• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sol Bar: New Zealand Cricket Randomness

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, though I'd much prefer 3 tests against Pakistan and 1 against Bangladesh. I mean, I guess it's a bit two-faced to be constantly whining about how little test cricket we get whilst pointedly ignoring the tangible forward steps that Bangladesh have made since their last visit here, but a 3-match series against Pakistan in early season conditions would be seriously tasty.

As for 2017/18, 3 tests v WI and 2 v England...wtf?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Complete lack of games for Cobham, again, makes me sad. But maybe I'm biased because I'm moving up that way.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
NZC starting to make serious noises about introducing the Duke from 2017/18 onwards

Hard-charging Neil Wagner leads push for Dukes ball to swing into New Zealand | Stuff.co.nz

Not sure if it's a good idea to bring the Duke on board in the same season as England come to tour though. Would also probably prefer a season where it's tested in domestics first before being used for tests. Quite funny to see the stuff poll showing 95% support introducing the Duke.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Our bowlers are already useless when the ball stops moving.

Introducing the Duke is only going to make that worse. They need to learn more skills rather than changing the tools.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Introducing the Duke is only going to make that worse. They need to learn more skills rather than changing the tools.
Similar thought popped up here. They seemingly don't have the tools to consistently follow a strategy of working a good batsman out after the ball has stopped moving.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Having a ball that doesn't need to be changed after 4 overs would be nice though. Also, the introduction of a ball that swings for more than an hour might nudge NZ away from the McHesson strategy of prepping the ridiculous 1 day greentop/4 day roads of the past 3 seasons.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Having a ball that doesn't need to be changed after 4 overs would be nice though. Also, the introduction of a ball that swings for more than an hour might nudge NZ away from the McHesson strategy of prepping the ridiculous 1 day greentop/4 day roads of the past 3 seasons.
true

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hamish Marshall retiring from Gloucestershire and signing with Welly next summer. Excellent, a 37 year old overseas pro, just what Wellington cricket needs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Should Ryder be back in any of the New Zealand sides? Saw him from a T20 game last week and he looked fabulous. Obviously one or two games can't make one decide but boy did he look comfortable out there.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't mind Hamish Marshall going to Wellington, as long as youth is going to be promoted around him. Every noise out of that area suggests Arnel is a fine coach/role model for the seamers, it's just that there's bugger all decent talent down there.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This a random comment that doesnt tie into previous posts.

After much consideration despite how naff guptil is an opener I would keep him due to his fielding.

Every series he will take 2-3 crucial catches that someone else may drop.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This a random comment that doesnt tie into previous posts.

After much consideration despite how naff guptil is an opener I would keep him due to his fielding.

Every series he will take 2-3 crucial catches that someone else may drop.
Based on him averaging how much? Are we talking 20s or 30s, or less? 30s, possibly. 20s or less, nah. We have a world class No.3 who we'd rather not have regularly walking in while everyone's cups of tea are still warm.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Based on him averaging how much? Are we talking 20s or 30s, or less? 30s, possibly. 20s or less, nah. We have a world class No.3 who we'd rather not have regularly walking in while everyone's cups of tea are still warm.
Based on him averaging high 20s and maintaining that average rather than just scoring the odd 180 something against Bangers or Zimbos and then living off that for the next two years.

High 20s is as good as anyone else not named Latham or Brendon in the last 10 years by memory. And I reckon his fielding is a real factor. By high twenties I mean at least 28.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Based on him averaging high 20s and maintaining that average rather than just scoring the odd 180 something against Bangers or Zimbos and then living off that for the next two years.

High 20s is as good as anyone else not named Latham or Brendon in the last 10 years by memory. And I reckon his fielding is a real factor. By high twenties I mean at least 28.
Mmm not sure I'm keen on that. Our cordon is already reasonably solid with Ross at 1st, Tim/Latham at 2nd, Jeet is also a very good slipper, Kane at gully etc. Gup might snaffle one a series that others won't but I dunno if that's the basis for picking him over someone else you might feel has a better chance of averaging 35+. And we'll see exactly where Gup's Test game is come SA. I'm not massively confident.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Should Ryder be back in any of the New Zealand sides? Saw him from a T20 game last week and he looked fabulous. Obviously one or two games can't make one decide but boy did he look comfortable out there.
In terms of talent he obviously should. It's just whether he's matured sufficiently to not derail things. I'd love to see him back across all formats including replacing McCullum at number 5 in the test side.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
One of the things that worries me most about Guptill is just how confused his approach to test cricket was last season. One innings he was trying to do things properly and grind his way to decent totals, the next he was just looking to Warner it and smash his way through. I really don't get any sense from him that he has a strategy regarding how he's going to improve his returns.

Having said that, generally when Guptill goes back to Plunket Shield he bats like the glorious international master-race compared to Raval's dirty domestic peasant, so I'm not holding out hope that Raval represents any kind of step forward.

Last edited: