• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sol Bar: New Zealand Cricket Randomness

BeeGee

International Captain
Hamish and Ken Rutherford now both have the exact same test average. 27.08
Spooky.

Cricket Records | Records | New Zealand | Test matches | Highest averages | ESPN Cricinfo

Could well stay that way forever
A real chip off the old block.

JF Reid stands out like dog's balls in that list. I was so pissed when he retired early. What sort of a loony gives up test cricket to teach geography? Six test hundreds in only 19 matches.

Who was that bloke who batted for NZ in dark glasses? It was mid eighties, I think? He had photochromic lenses in his prescription glasses. Looked badass when he batted. Really crap batsman, though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Richard Reid was awesome. Scored 62 iirc in his second International game - only got out when andrew Jones joined him at the other end and the run rate slipped. Then he said he didn't want to play anymore.

Boy Reid was out of shape though - Jesses looks like a real athlete by comparison.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I saw a James Franklin almost-doppelganger today!

I was about to scathingly criticise the decline in his bowling, but then realised he was quite a bit too short and in Point Chev, Auckland.

Cool story.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah he has been a bit short lately. If he bowled a bit fuller he may get a bit more swing and trouble the batsman more often.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Basin switches on for cricket | Stuff.co.nz

Basin looking to install floodlights for day/night tests and night ODIs.

I take exception to this comment from the self-interested Westpac Stadium:

stuff.co.nz said:
"Harmon said he supported the idea of lights being installed at the Basin Reserve, but doubted it would generate the revenue Westpac did.

"We had 13,000 for the ODI [one-day international] against India this year and if you take that game to the Basin you're only going to get half that crowd in there," Harmon said."
The Basin currently has a capacity of 11,000. If you had the ODI at the Basin, it would be a sell-out - especially against India. My expectation would be that 11,000 at the Basin would be vastly more profitable than 13,000 at the Westpac as the Basin running costs are much lower.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Basin switches on for cricket | Stuff.co.nz

Basin looking to install floodlights for day/night tests and night ODIs.

I take exception to this comment from the self-interested Westpac Stadium:

The Basin currently has a capacity of 11,000. If you had the ODI at the Basin, it would be a sell-out - especially against India. My expectation would be that 11,000 at the Basin would be vastly more profitable than 13,000 at the Westpac as the Basin running costs are much lower.
i suppose fewer toilets to clean is lower running costs

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Most importantly though, what beers does Westpac offer?

If they offer more than just Tui, then maybe I'd be convinced to abandon Heef's ship of Westpac hatred (even then, the Basin still wins).

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most importantly though, what beers does Westpac offer?

If they offer more than just Tui, then maybe I'd be convinced to abandon Heef's ship of Westpac hatred (even then, the Basin still wins).
The beer contract is tied to the sport, not the venue. I think Tui (whichever brewery that is) is NZC's beer of choice - as evidenced by the Tui Catch a Six comp. Can't blame the choice of beverage on the venue.

However.... the Basin has had the Sol Bar. At least that's an extra option over and above that offered by the Wetspac.