• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Next Pace Race

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure what the pitches have to do with it. Pretty sure they clock the speed out of the hand.
Well, a fraction of a second after, but it shows an unshakable determination (or ability) to motivate himself to bowl fast.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
That is not exactly true. Steyn is fractionally quicker than when he came on to the scene and his massive drop in pace in the IPL came with a poor performance.
He averaged in the 20s with an economy rate below 7, that's fantastic considering he bowled with the new ball (field restrictions) and at the death (happy hour).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Simon Jones has been bowling at 90mph (+) recently and when in pomp he was deceptively sharp.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He averaged in the 20s with an economy rate below 7, that's fantastic considering he bowled with the new ball (field restrictions) and at the death (happy hour).
Grr! How did I miss that; watching him bowl in the early games, he was positively awful at 130kph, perhaps he picked up his game toward the end of the competition. However, it is unarguable that he has not got quicker since first playing international cricket.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Grr! How did I miss that; watching him bowl in the early games, he was positively awful at 130kph, perhaps he picked up his game toward the end of the competition. However, it is unarguable that he has not got quicker since first playing international cricket.
He said that he had a stomach virus (aka the ****s) at the initial stages of the competition but felt relatively better come the end. His pace seemed to fluctuate throughout the tournament, was very quick in one spell against Haydos in particular but always seemed to lose a lot of speed when Bangalore were on the way to defeat, which is understandable, no point bowling at 150kph when the opposition need less than six an over to win and it’s a road.

On the point of Steyn bowling at 130kph, he recently took a bucket load of wickets albeit against the West Indies bowling of a shortened run up and reduced pace (due to injury).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So much depends on your action though. We can measure actual pace from the hand, but from the batsman's POV, you may have two guys bowling the same pace (say Lee and Thommo or Shoaib), but Lee's action gives the batsman a decent sighter, whereas Thommo's action, and to some extent Shoaib's seemed to make it really difficult for the batsman to pick the ball up.

Top_Cat

Aside from Tait, I'd hate to face Morne Morkel. Tall, super quick and able to run in all day (when he can stay on the park).

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Edwards for the WI. Some youngsters coming through who are apparently express like Kemar Roach.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The Next Pace Race
...is in 10 minutes at the Rangiora Harness Racing Club's meeting at Addington. Oaxaca Lad (off the unruly) has two duck eggs in his last two starts, but has been installed as favourite. Personally I can't go past the claimer, Striking Dash...

Agent TBY

International Captain
...is in 10 minutes at the Rangiora Harness Racing Club's meeting at Addington. Oaxaca Lad (off the unruly) has two duck eggs in his last two starts, but has been installed as favourite. Personally I can't go past the claimer, Striking Dash...
You're likening pacers to horses. Racist!

_Ed_

I'd heard a lot about the pace of Richard Sherlock, Te Ahu Davis and another whose name escapes me at the moment.

Their prospects of even playing a full season of FC cricket look bleak at this stage.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Frightening Maaalinga may be, I've still yet to spot him hitting 150kph never mind getting anywhere near 160.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So did Trescothick at one point.
Don't think Tait and Trescothick really have a great deal in common. Trescothick's always been thought to have had his problems caused by excessive travel, though of course there won't ever be able to be a hard-fast-and-certain answer. Tait has done little of this, and more than anything the problems seemed to have been caused by pressure of expectation.

I'll not be trying to draw any parrallels between their cases. Treat each one as it unfolds.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Frightening Maaalinga may be, I've still yet to spot him hitting 150kph never mind getting anywhere near 160.
And considering that his muscles are on 100% stretch in the action, it is hard to see him bowling any quicker.