• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Next Pace Race

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Frightening Maaalinga may be, I've still yet to spot him hitting 150kph never mind getting anywhere near 160.
Malinga bowled consistently over 150kph when Sri Lanka was last in New Zealand, he was seriously rapid in that series.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I do remember that, but bowlers typically tend to bowl quickly in New Zealand, such as Shaun Tait bowling 160kph there a few years back.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Malinga bowled consistently over 150kph when Sri Lanka was last in New Zealand, he was seriously rapid in that series.
He did? I did watch some of that series but I can't say I was taking note of the bowling speeds. That'd possibly be an "only" if so.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Was quick in Aussie as well though.
Australia and South Africa are much the same, to a lesser effect. Ishant has hit 150kph in Australia but not come near in India and Lee and Akhtar both hit 160kph in South Africa.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
I do remember that, but bowlers typically tend to bowl quickly in New Zealand, such as Shaun Tait bowling 160kph there a few years back.
Will shaun tait ever bowl quite that fast again thow... surely with his very unorthodox action he is likely to injure himself or get stress fractures etc. he might fling the ball out at 90mph all the time but i think his action will eventually ruin his body.. just my opinion thow, i'm probably completely wrong??:wacko:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Might, might not. I can't see any reason to expect either way. We've seen cases where such actions have caused problems, and times when they haven't. We've also seen perfectly good actions not save bowlers from horrenous injury problems (Bruce Reid, Andrew Harris, etc.)

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
I suppose you can't really tell.. someone like Brett Lee who has almost the 'Perfect' action from a biomechanical point of view, has had his fair share of injuries in his time, elbow and ankle I think.. but that maybe just down to his aggressive bowling nature aswell... I'ts probably just your genetic make which determines how injury prone you are, but I imagine bowling actions have some effect...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. There's no hard-and-fast rule. Obviously, a good bowling-action improves your chances, but it certainly doesn't coat you in cotton-wool. Likewise, an odd action (see Colin Croft for instance) doesn't neccessarily sentence you to oblivion.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Here is the thing. Some actions help, and some actions hinder but at the end of the day fast bowling is hard physical work and even the perfect action isnt as important in injury avoidance as luck.

A bad action can virtually guarantee injury but its not possible to guarantee avoiding injury.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Australia and South Africa are much the same, to a lesser effect. Ishant has hit 150kph in Australia but not come near in India and Lee and Akhtar both hit 160kph in South Africa.
Ishant hit 150 kph in the IPL actually..150.1 kph to be precise with a couple more at 149+.It was the second match against RCB.

As you would have already guessd, i follow Ishant Sharma's every single delivery(seriously).

Last edited:

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Goughy and Manee,Do you guys think Sharma can get faster or is he at his peak(pace) atm?
I mean..based on your assesment of his action/muscle etcc etc..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy and Manee,Do you guys think Sharma can get faster or is he at his peak(pace) atm?
I mean..based on your assesment of his action/muscle etcc etc..
Maybe a little, but more likely not.

It doesnt happen often.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
You mean,the Taits,Lees and Shoaibs were bowling those sort of speeds when they were in their teens?Are we sure we have absolutely no one in the history of International cricket that has increased their pace by atleast 5kph during their early twenties??

Man, what a turn-off!! He is still better than anything India has produced in the past though(in terms of pace).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We don't know how quick the likes of Shoaib were in their teens, because technology to time bowlers was only brought into the game in 1998 and 1999. And it's only been available at lower levels (those at which MOST teenagers play) for about 3 or 4 years, if even that. The stuff don't come cheap.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I want to see a bowler actually gain pace as he progresses through his twenties, would be very strange to see.
Brett Lee absolutely did. Before 20, he was in the high 140's/low 150's. From 21 onwards, he just got faster; not just his top speed but his average speed too. Shaun Tait was clocked at 147km/h going absolutely flat-out at 17 so obviously he's just gotten quicker too.

FBU

International Debutant
On Sunday Anderson bowled a ball at 95.4. It was the only ball that he got over 90 though.

I think there are probably only about 3 bowlers that average 90+ in Test cricket. When it comes to ODIs it is much easier only having 10 overs to bowl at top speed.