• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Next Pace Race

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I want to see a bowler actually gain pace as he progresses through his twenties, would be very strange to see.
I'd have thought that as your body developed through the early 20s, you'd be quicker at, say 23-24 than you were at 19-20- not sure though.

Edit: that ball of Tait to Jaques in that clip is an absolute mare for a batsman.

Last edited:

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
On Sunday Anderson bowled a ball at 95.4. It was the only ball that he got over 90 though.

I think there are probably only about 3 bowlers that average 90+ in Test cricket. When it comes to ODIs it is much easier only having 10 overs to bowl at top speed.
I saw that aswell... I think it was a dodgy radar though, speed guns are never 100% accurate

It's highly unlikely that Anderson would bowl one delivery at 95mph and the rest at around 85-86mph

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Brett Lee absolutely did. Before 20, he was in the high 140's/low 150's. From 21 onwards, he just got faster; not just his top speed but his average speed too. Shaun Tait was clocked at 147km/h going absolutely flat-out at 17 so obviously he's just gotten quicker too.
Lee changed his action after his stress fracture though and consequently got faster, Tait got stronger.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Goughy and Manee,Do you guys think Sharma can get faster or is he at his peak(pace) atm?
I mean..based on your assesment of his action/muscle etcc etc..
Lol, I don't know enough to assess his action to the level of Goughy nor do I know anything about muscles, but my guess is that he will not ever get quicker and suggest that after the age of about 22, he may get slower unless he concentrates to maintain the spectacular fitness he has now. I have noticed that he lifts the backfoot at delivery, something which weakens the drive of the hip, but the power with which he drives the back leg through probably accounts for this - I doubt anyone would look to change something so major in his bowling, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
On Sunday Anderson bowled a ball at 95.4. It was the only ball that he got over 90 though.
I saw that aswell... I think it was a dodgy radar though, speed guns are never 100% accurate

It's highly unlikely that Anderson would bowl one delivery at 95mph and the rest at around 85-86mph
Well, mostly they're accurate to 0.1mph, but you get the odd anomalaic result. That would presumably have been one such thing.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:huh: Was he? Thought ball-timing technology only came to Aus in 1999/2000, the season Lee made his Test debut (aged 23).
You're talking about timing on the fly and projected live on TV. Lee was timed many times before that in training and domestic matches, his speeds have been well known for a long time. Besides, timing in real-time was trialled at international matches as early as 1997 when England were here; distinctly remember Darren Gough being clocked at 146km/h in a ODI and a little later, it being mentioned by commentators.

funnygirl

State Regular
Only bowlers with hyper extension and slingy action can come close to 100mph .Atleast in the modern era we have been watching that trend .Akhtar ,Lee ,Tait ....Wait for another hyper extending quickie.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
There is no evidence that Lee or Tait has hyperextention, is there? They both 'chuck a bit*' rather than hyperextend, as far as I'm aware.

*I am aware they have legal actions and am merely referring to the slight flexion and straightening of their bowling arm in the downswing of the arm.

funnygirl

State Regular
There is no evidence that Lee or Tait has hyperextention, is there? They both 'chuck a bit*' rather than hyperextend, as far as I'm aware.

*I am aware they have legal actions and am merely referring to the slight flexion and straightening of their bowling arm in the downswing of the arm.
Lee got hyperextension ,i read some where .Not so sure about Tait . However thats my take ,whoever came close to 100mph ,all of them got a ''chucking ''action .

No bowler with clean action is going to come near 100mph ,as simple as that .:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, think both have some element of hyperextension in their actions.

Maybe it'd simply be logical to think that with arms going as fast as theirs do, to not have any hyperextension would be almost impossible.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're talking about timing on the fly and projected live on TV. Lee was timed many times before that in training and domestic matches, his speeds have been well known for a long time. Besides, timing in real-time was trialled at international matches as early as 1997 when England were here; distinctly remember Darren Gough being clocked at 146km/h in a ODI and a little later, it being mentioned by commentators.
Aha. What was the technique used to make these measurements? Haven't heard about that one before.

funnygirl

State Regular
Dale Steyn has hit 97mph with a visibly fine action.
Dale steyn has a perfect action .He might have touched 95/97 may be for once or twice .But can he consitently clock around that speed .Nope .Most of the times he is in the range of 140-145 . Also talking about that magical 100mph ,not that possible.

Last edited: