• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Most Selfish Players you've Seen

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, one of Ponting's lowest moments... as well getting his ass kicked in a night club.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Im surprised nobody has mentioned MS Dhoni

Dont get me wrong he's a fantastic player but he hides down the order and picks and chooses when he bats. He either comes in when the going is good or bats low until it gets easier. Man up mate and bat when its tough too otherwise youre the Captain of my selfish X1

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Dont get me wrong he's a fantastic player but he hides down the order and picks and chooses when he bats. He either comes in when the going is good or bats low until it gets easier. Man up mate and bat when its tough too otherwise youre the Captain of my selfish X1
Bollocks. IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Most of this is bollocks tbh, Chanderpaul gets called selfish for putting a price on his wicket, so does Kallis.

Wish NZ was blessed with 'selfish' players like that.

Uppercut

It's not like runs are counted on the scoreboard differently depending on whether you score them for the team or score them for yourself.

Shri

Mr. Glass

His average in matches won by India to disagree.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This was my initial thought. People always name players like Kallis, KP but can never come up with an example, it's just an impression they kinda give off.
Obvious example of Kallis's one-eyed approach was the 5th test during our 2004 tour. SA needed the win to tie the series, time was running out and they had to put runs on the board quickly to make a viable declaration, but Jacques actually slowed down when he passed his 100. 4 or 5 of his teammates fell trying to force the pace, but Kallis was resolute.

With KP his "selfishness", such as it is, manifests itself in his eagerness to get off a blob. He's often called his partner thru for a rather squeaky single.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just been to get Michael vaughan's new book signed by the man himself in Liverpool, old fella in the front of me in the queue went to Adelaide in 02-03 and had a rant to Vaughan about Butcher being selfish and not playing out the last over. made me LOL, Vaughan didn't quite know what to say.

R_D

International Debutant
Obvious example of Kallis's one-eyed approach was the 5th test during our 2004 tour. SA needed the win to tie the series, time was running out and they had to put runs on the board quickly to make a viable declaration, but Jacques actually slowed down when he passed his 100. 4 or 5 of his teammates fell trying to force the pace, but Kallis was resolute.

With KP his "selfishness", such as it is, manifests itself in his eagerness to get off a blob. He's often called his partner thru for a rather squeaky single.
Another Example was the Sydney test match couple of years back.....
Same situation, South Africa needed to win that match to draw the series and Smith was looking for quick runs so they could declare with enough time to get Aus out. While rest of the team was doing there best to accelerate... Kallis was happy to block off over by over... Other players frustration was quite obvious at Kallis in that match.
One of the most self-fish innings i've ever seen.

Uppercut

He's stated he was just acting under the instruction to hold things together while the rest of the side accelerate (at the Sydney test that is. Don't know about the one Brumby mentions). Gets a lot of flak for it though.

Howsie

International Captain

I've sort of always agreed with this tbh. Still remember that 20/20 against the Windies when instead of coming in at three (which he had done all tournament long) he hid.