• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future of English Cricket (God help us...)

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thats very harsh on Rob Key who TBH, was one of the better openers in domestic one day cricket last season, and has been for a couple of seasons.

Liam Dawson is a top shout, the lad is going to be a class act in a few years, but James Tomlinson? Although he had a good season last year, he is too inconsistent and there are too many better bowlers in the country for him to be considered for the test squad.

And Steven Davies has been hailed as the next Alec Stewart, although I've seen little of him myself.

Key only averaged about 30 for Kent last year; no way should he be in the England side.

I was in Australia during the summer so have not seen Dawson yet but as a Hampshire fan was delighted at his emergence in the latter half of last season.

As for Tomlinson, I was delighted for him last season. An awful lot of his previous failures can be put down to injuries but obviously he cannot be considered for England selection after just one season.

Nice to see too many over optimistic people her who still believe that England has any future in cricket. They failed to make any impact in Football and in spite of making so many so called super stars in football failed to qualify for even European cup. English sportsmen deserve much less than what they get both in terms of money as well as the respect. Let them perform and then make them your heroes. They don't work hard and that's why are getting worst and worst with each passing day. Sorry to be blunt but its a fact.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Key only averaged about 30 for Kent last year; no way should he be in the England side.

I was in Australia during the summer so have not seen Dawson yet but as a Hampshire fan was delighted at his emergence in the latter half of last season.

As for Tomlinson, I was delighted for him last season. An awful lot of his previous failures can be put down to injuries but obviously he cannot be considered for England selection after just one season.
Yeah, i believe it was just me who mentioned Tomlinson as a tongue-in-cheek response to Jigga's self-confessed bias :p

Dawson looks a fantastic prospect, but i wouldn't want to see him in the England side for at least four or five years. At 18 it remains to be seen whether he has the desire to work on his game hard enough to get it to international standard. Also he's currently a bits-and-pieces all-rounder, and i think in time he'll concentrate on one or the other. And i have a hunch he'll become a batsman-who-bowls. His left-arm tweaks could come to be very useful in ODIs but if he wants to have test success i reckon it will have to be as an Andrew Symonds type all-rounder.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's been a long time since England have been able to field a full eleven of proven Test Match cricketers, and looking at those Lions it could well be a long time before we do so again.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah he is a great prospect this lad.
My only problem is that he has been around for a few years and on the radar of English cricket followers for even longer and he hasnt played. His reputation was/is of a rare talent but as he is 19 you would think Kent would have given him more than 1 game already.

Either a) he is not progessing as expected b) Kent possess batting talent of supreme depth that he cant find a place c) Kent have progessed him poorly.

I know 19 is no age but it is for County Cricket especially when seen as a special talent.

Its a curious position he is in.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice to see too many over optimistic people her who still believe that England has any future in cricket. They failed to make any impact in Football and in spite of making so many so called super stars in football failed to qualify for even European cup. English sportsmen deserve much less than what they get both in terms of money as well as the respect. Let them perform and then make them your heroes. They don't work hard and that's why are getting worst and worst with each passing day. Sorry to be blunt but its a fact.
So the problem is that the England cricket team doesn't work hard? What a brilliant piece of analysis. And your analogy with football is a complete masterstroke.

In the face of your reasoning and logic I shall abandon any hope that England might have any future in the game of cricket. I only hope that those who run the game in this country have the good sense to read your post and to act on your advice.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Manee said:
Any idea what club he plays for, I seem to recall bowling against someone that or a similar name a little while ago.
Sandwich Town or something like that in the Shepard Neame

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So the problem is that the England cricket team doesn't work hard? What a brilliant piece of analysis. And your analogy with football is a complete masterstroke.

In the face of your reasoning and logic I shall abandon any hope that England might have any future in the game of cricket. I only hope that those who run the game in this country have the good sense to read your post and to act on your advice.
To be fair, he knows better because it's always easiest to tell what the problem is with England from Pakistan.

ozone

First Class Debutant
I don't know his figures, but I watched him bat a few times, live and on TV, and he looked a league above most of the other English county openers in the country.

Spot on.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Nice to see too many over optimistic people her who still believe that England has any future in cricket. They failed to make any impact in Football and in spite of making so many so called super stars in football failed to qualify for even European cup. English sportsmen deserve much less than what they get both in terms of money as well as the respect. Let them perform and then make them your heroes. They don't work hard and that's why are getting worse and worse with each passing day. Sorry to be blunt but its a fact.
Well, England may have gone backwards from where they were 4 years ago, but then so have Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand and arguably Sri Lanka. Its not because these teams haven't worked as hard, but because cricket runs in cycles, and for one team to be more successful, others have to be less so.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dawson looks a fantastic prospect, but i wouldn't want to see him in the England side for at least four or five years. At 18 it remains to be seen whether he has the desire to work on his game hard enough to get it to international standard. Also he's currently a bits-and-pieces all-rounder, and i think in time he'll concentrate on one or the other. And i have a hunch he'll become a batsman-who-bowls. His left-arm tweaks could come to be very useful in ODIs but if he wants to have test success i reckon it will have to be as an Andrew Symonds type all-rounder.
Think that is probably quite likely, It will be easier for him to make himself into a sucesfull batsman, especially considering Tahir will be playing for Hampshire for the next two seasons meaning he will never be leading the spin attack and in the early season especially he will not justify his place in the side unless he can contribute will with the bat. Hampshire also are in desperate need of a decent middle order bat so he might be encouraged to focus on that.

Well, England may have gone backwards from where they were 4 years ago, but then so have Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand and arguably Sri Lanka. Its not because these teams haven't worked as hard, but because cricket runs in cycles, and for one team to be more successful, others have to be less so.
You got what i meant.