• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Building Blocks Draft

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
1687688144875.jpeg

I am opening this thread as I have few spare time to write this up. Ideally we should start at the end of running draft. Its the Building Blocks Draft.

Block I

In this block, each manager will nominate 1 player that they want above all. If two managers nominate same player then that player becomes ineligible for the rest of the draft.

Block II

In this block, each manager will nominate 20 players that they want to bin. Those players will be ineligible for the rest of the draft unless they are revived in Block III.

Block III

In this block, each manager will nominate 4 players that will go into a pool. From the pool these players will go to other manager (including you) unless that player was nominated in Block II by the same manager (including you).

Block IV

In this block, there will be six rounds of normal draft order to revive your team.

Block V

In this block, those of you failed to pick players in other blocks will get their chance to pick by normal draft order.

Strategy Notes:

For Block I, its pretty simple that you would want to take a good player up front for your team. So you have to choose carefully and not get cancelled out by other managers. Then both of you miss out and go empty handed in Block I. For Block II and III, its a bit tricky. You would want to cancel good players for Block IV and so others cannot pick them but at the same time if you cancel a good player then from block III, you will not be eligible to get that player as you have moved him into the bin. Whereas if lucky, another manager will be eligible to get that player even from the bin if anyone nominates that player in Block III. Also you would want to nominate bad players in Block II so if that player is nominated in Block III then you are immune from getting that player. The strategy goes vice versa.

Rules:

1. Nominations will be via PM. First nominations for Block I will be received and revealed then Block II and Block III together.
2. When Block IV starts, I will randomise the six rounds and post all at once. 24 hours standard time between picking each player.
3. Everyone is eligible who played at least one first class match. Cut off date is the end day of 1st Ashes test ‘23.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sorry gonna be a busy week at work and this sounds like it involves more research than just picking the next best available player. So i will have to sit this one out

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
To simplify further:

Block I : pick 1 player and you have that player unless someone else picks that player

Block II and III : Pick 20 players that you want to discard for the rest of the draft and pick 4 players that goes into mix pool with other managers’ 4 players each and total distributed to all by Random number generator. The catch is below.

Suppose you picked “X” player for block II and someone else picked that ‘X’ player for block III then that X player will not be revived to you but others. It means since you discarded that X player in block II, you don’t get that player but others will be able to get him if not discarded also by them.

Block IV and V: Normal draft order of six rounds to finish the team and additional orders if someone missed players in other blocks.

Its a bit complicated I know. Hope everything gets sorted out once we start.

e.g.

Manager Pep

Block I : A
He gets A if no one else picks A.

Block II: B,C, D…..20 players
Block III: F, G…. 4 players

Manager Klopp

Block I: Z

Block II: N, H, I… 20 players
Block III: B, M… 4 players

Now that “B” player is revived and goes into mix pool to be distributed to others except Manager Pep since he discarded “B”.

Himannv

International Coach
Looks like I'd mostly be blocking myself in Block 2 by that logic. Chances to block someone else is lesser than the chance to block myself AFAIU.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
In so far:

1. kingkallis
2. weeman27bob
3. bitmap
4. trundler
5. Krypto
6. Himannv
7. Line and Length
8. ataraxia
9. Teuton
10. Pothas
11. ankitj

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like I'd mostly be blocking myself in Block 2 by that logic. Chances to block someone else is lesser than the chance to block myself AFAIU.
Discarding is for Block IV and V also. If the player is not revived by Block III then that player is eliminated for block IV and V too.
Or yeah you can choose 20 bad players to immune yourself from getting.
Either way its upto individuals what strategy they will take that is to either mix match between good and bad, a total of good or a total of bad players.

Last edited:

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Look this is a very complicated draft for me as I'm still reletively new to all this however I think I grasp most of it. Just want to confirm in block 3 what happens with the 4 pick in case of duplications. If there is do they get elimanted as in block 1 or does it mean there is just less players going into distribution from block 3.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Look this is a very complicated draft for me as I'm still reletively new to all this however I think I grasp most of it. Just want to confirm in block 3 what happens with the 4 pick in case of duplications. If there is do they get elimanted as in block 1 or does it mean there is just less players going into distribution from block 3.
If there is duplication in block III, then the player duplicated goes into the bin and both the manager get to pick again one each for the pool. Once the pool is full of “4x no of managers” then only they will be distributed. I found out its the best solution otherwise if they receive each less then will be unfair to others who got bad players from the pool. So block V is only applicable if someone misses in block I.