• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The better batsman the bettter #3 Ponting vs Dravid

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
dravid (has played heck of a lot of match changing innings in difficult conditions)
= kallis in my books now (kallis hasn't been all that great against the best sides)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
dravid (has played heck of a lot of match changing innings in difficult conditions)
= kallis in my books now (kallis hasn't been all that great against the best sides)
Wait, what?

Are you suggesting that there was a period when you considered Dravid a lesser batsman than Kallis?

Dravid's always been ahead of Kallis for me for precisely the same reason you mention in favour of the former in your post.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Wait, what?

Are you suggesting that there was a period when you considered Dravid a lesser batsman than Kallis?

Dravid's always been ahead of Kallis for me for precisely the same reason you mention in favour of the former in your post.
had been rating kallis higher for 1 year.

smash84

The Tiger King
because he is an incredibly good batsman. i am not sure that kallis is not in front of ponting too.
He misses out on being able to play the big knocks and I can't remember too many crucial knocks from him either for some reason at least not as many as Dravid

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
if i consider tests (and that is what i want to consider when it comes to cricket)
i think dravid better than ponting, because 1. dravid never had the luxury of having slater-taylor or hayden-langer as openers, all his career, dravid had almost no settled openers in the side, mainly in tests overseas he always came to bat at 3 for 1, 5 for 1 or at the most 10 for 1. on the other hand, ponting had a lot of padding before him...2. ponting didnt face the best bowling line up of his time...3. dravid delivered more when the going was really really hard, more times than ponting, yes...though i think the best no. 3 is neither ponting nor dravid, it's jack kallis

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Actually, he technically averages less than 50. In fact, take out Zimbabwe and he averages 43 @ 3. I think you were caught out there, unlikely you were referring to Kallis' relatively short time at #3 and rating it ahead of Ponting - who has ~10000 runs @ 57.

Last edited:

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
i am pretty much aware of the fact that kallis mostly batted at no. 4, for me, he is the most ideal no. 3, and it's not that he never batted there...if i am to make a team from the players i have seen, and if that no. 4 position goes to sachin, then the no. 3 is for me a choice between 3...dravid, kallis and ponting...i can keep only one of them at that position, i will pick kallis... for me kallis is the best no. 3, followed by dravid (very closely)...

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
think dravid is the only player to have scored more than 10000 runs in that position so far, not ponting...well, would have added few more to that tally, more than 250, if he wasn't forced to open in england this time around...that's the classic saga of dravid, always shifted and snatched...scored runs in more challenging and demanding situations than ponting, and thus always should be rated higher than ponting...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
i am pretty much aware of the fact that kallis mostly batted at no. 4, for me, he is the most ideal no. 3, and it's not that he never batted there...if i am to make a team from the players i have seen, and if that no. 4 position goes to sachin, then the no. 3 is for me a choice between 3...dravid, kallis and ponting...i can keep only one of them at that position, i will pick kallis... for me kallis is the best no. 3, followed by dravid (very closely)...
Just out of curiosity, have you watched Brian Lara bat?

Edit: And Viv Richards?

Last edited:

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
yes i have, fortunate enough to actually, but in my team, sachin holds no. 4 position, kallis 3 (dravid is very close, it would depend on the situation a little, in a seaming wicket i would probably have dravid bat at 3, one can check out dravid's and kallis' performance in english wickets...that would tell a thing or two about what i am saying)...i can actually tell you a great batsman at that no. 3 position, that is mohinder amarnath, if u have any doubts u can check his performance in the best era of fast bowling, in the 70's and early 80's...west indies in west indies, australia in australia and pakistan in pakistan...have u seen mohinder? u can also check comments of thompson, holding, marshall, lilee and imran

smash84

The Tiger King
would be grateful if you could post the comments of those bowlers regarding Amarnath.

Btw according to Imran (and Lillee too I reckon but not sure) Viv Richards is THE GREATEST batsman he ever saw or played against.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
you can go through two books, one is idols by sunil gavaskar, another all round view by imran khan, in which both of them said that mohinder is the best batsman that they have seen, Lilee considered him the toughest batsman to bowl to, and holding said that a fast bowler knows when a batsman is in pain, but with mohinder there was no clue, he would just stand up and continue...malcom said that he was the bravest batsman that he has ever encountered and Gideon Haigh writing in The Age says: "In an era replete with fast bowling and unrestricted in use of the bouncer, he never stopped hooking - despite many incentives to do so. He received a hairline fracture of the skull from Richard Hadlee, was knocked unconscious by Imran Khan, had teeth knocked out by Malcolm Marshall and was hit in the jaw so painfully by Jeff Thomson in Perth that he could eat only ice cream for lunch"
Rob Bagchi writes. for guardian, "Being hit while batting, though, remains the most conventional way to suffer injury in the game and those who withstood West Indies' attack, and Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson during the 70s and 80s, deserve most praise. Chief among them was India's happy hooker Mohinder Amarnath, recalled after a long exile in the Lancashire leagues with Lowerhouse and Crompton, who took them on with, initially, only a solar topee to protect himself. Richard Hadlee fractured his skull, Imran Khan knocked him unconscious, Malcolm Marshall dislodged his teeth, Thomson cracked his jaw and Michael Holding sent him to hospital to have stitches put in his head.
Yet he still managed to score three centuries against Pakistan during the 1982-83 series and warmed up for his starring role in India's 1983 World Cup victory by hitting two more and four fifties in a brutal five-Test tour of the Caribbean. At Old Trafford in 1976 Brian Close and John Edrich, as the wonderful new film Fire in Babylon evocatively shows, were subjected to an 80-minute laceration on the Saturday evening by Holding, Andy Roberts and Wayne Daniel, and most batsmen of the era faced similar tribulations. No one, though, prospered through reckless courage and obduracy quite like Amarnath."