• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Battle of the Commentators

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Another toughie that just makes the previous battle even more laughable.

CMJ by a whisker - though I rate the other two highly enough that I'm happy for any of them to go through.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Against: Chappell

If I hear another story about his captaincy, and what he said and how he was right, I'll break down and cry.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
For Chappell here. He's the most insightful of the Nine bunch these days, with Richie not quite his former self. He's a bit of a dick and has a lot of grudges he can't get over, but he's got a good understanding of the game and an interest in a lot of the things that appeal to cricket tragics rather than casual fans, IMO. Pretty much everyone else on Nine is a cheerleader, and Chappelli stands out well actually talking about the game.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, Bill Lawry definately wins... I'm not too sure whether it was 4 - 0 - 0 (as I counted) or 6 - 0 - 0. I reckon I may have 'against-ed' a 'for' vote.

Lawry wins the battle either way though.
Not that it matters (well, it obviously does to me as I was arsed to count :ph34r:) but this is how I saw the Lawry voting:

For: Somerset, cameeel, archie mac, biased Indian, SJS, The Sean, R_D, Perm, Athlai, Dydl, sportychic33, pasag (12)
Against: Mr Wright, BoyBrumby, howardj, honestbharani, The_Bunny, Jamee999 (6)

Any road, it's quite a toughie is this. Chappell does know his onions, but can be ever-so-annoying too; the Aussie Ray Illingworth, a comparison that would doubtless annoy both. CMJ is the ultimate safe pair of hands, commentary wise; thoughtful and posh in an inoffensive way (unlike, say, Nicholas or Blowers), perhaps because he hasn't had the playing career of some of his peers and hence no axes to grind, he always comes across as calm and, above all, someone who loves and appreciates the game. He also writes on the sport with authority too, but that's obviously beside the point here.

Can't say as I've ever really formed an opinion on Crowe's commentary & must've heard it at some point, which in itself is quite damning.

For CMJ I think.