• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
ajmal is literally and unironically a cheat. bloke shouldn't be near any atg Pakistan xi
In what way?

His arm was bent due to a medical issue (broken bone at one stage). Under the previous ICC rules he would h ave been provided a medical exemption, which in reality should still be a part of the regulations. There was nothing he could physically do about the issue.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In what way?

His arm was bent due to a medical issue (broken bone at one stage). Under the previous ICC rules he would h ave been provided a medical exemption, which in reality should still be a part of the regulations. There was nothing he could physically do about the issue.
my guy, he was throwing them down at beyond 40 degrees at times

1st: Over the wicket: Average elbow extension 39 degrees, 2nd: Over the wicket: 37 degrees, 3rd: Around the wicket: 41 degrees, 4th: Around the wicket (wide of the crease): 41 degrees, 5th: Around the wicket: 42 degrees, 6th: Around the wicket, doosra: 40 degrees, 7th: Around the wicket, quicker balls: 38 degrees, 8th: Over the wicket, quicker balls: 42 degrees

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In what way?

Bull****. His action greatly deteriorated since he was first cleared around 2009. The testing when he was pulled up showed he was straightening by an average of 40°. That has absolutely nothing to do with any medical issues making his arm appear bent, it was actual movement of his elbow joint.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In what way?

is this guy serious?

bagapath

International Captain
I’m afraid to ask whether Jeff Thomson is a genuine all time candidate or a lesser bowler than Bruce Reid.
Beautiful question. Honestly, I don't know. Is he better than Merv Hughes and Billy McDermott and Terry Alderman]? I believe Reid and Johnson and Harris were better than that trio who are also distinguished, for sure. Don't know where to slot Thommo, though. What is your take @Lillian Thomson?

bagapath

International Captain
Hussey makes it to some ATXIs surely. MWaugh definitely does. In fact, he might be CW's favorite Aussie ODI opener.

Gilmour should probably get picked. Hogg for McGill.
this is a test team. I can't imagine either Junior or Hussey making it to any version of the top Aussie test team of the past 50 years...

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
G.Chappell
S Smith
AR Border *
Gilchrist +
Cummins
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

12th man: S Waugh

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with Thommo is that he was really only a truly great bowler for about 25 Tests before World Series Cricket and injuries when he started to lose his pace. During that time he only played in England and Australia (not because he feigned injury or illness to dodge tours). And of course he shares an horrific tour of Pakistan with his uncle Dennis, which will get the stats mongers salivating. A far better bowler than Bruce Reid though.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with Thommo is that he was really only a truly great bowler for about 25 Tests before World Series Cricket and injuries when he started to lose his pace. During that time he only played in England and Australia (not because he feigned injury or illness to dodge tours). And of course he shares an horrific tour of Pakistan with his uncle Dennis, which will get the stats mongers salivating. A far better bowler than Bruce Reid though.
I'm not sure. Thommo needed the pressure to be on from both end, and Lillee provided that pressure. Reid was potentially the best Australian left-arm quick behind Davo but injury plagued him.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure. Thommo needed the pressure to be on from both end, and Lillee provided that pressure. Reid was potentially the best Australian left-arm quick behind Davo but injury plagued him.
Not true at all. Thommo didn't play in the first year of WSC. While the rest were away he lead the attack in two five Test series with a great deal of success. and with no other quality bowler at the other end.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
this is a test team. I can't imagine either Junior or Hussey making it to any version of the top Aussie test team of the past 50 years...

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
G.Chappell
S Smith
AR Border *
Gilchrist +
Cummins
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

12th man: S Waugh
Oh. Obvsly didn't realize it was a test team

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I won’t be baited in to this Symonds stuff again.

Ive proved time and again how good he was as an ODI player and particularly as a 5th bowler.

Bevan was a hack who hit one four at the end of a game that hatched this bull**** “finisher” myth.

Hussey could do everything Bevan could and do it better.