• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
(I’m taking the piss with my Symonds stuff. A bit. I do genuinely believe he’s a more than adequate 5th bowler, even in an ATG discussion. But I enjoy the meme. And I do genuinely believe Bevan wasn’t as good as he’s made out to be. Nor was Hayden)

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
My favourite memory of Bruce Reid was Chris Pringle bowling a maiden over to him in the final over as a rebuilding NZ team (branded the "Young Guns") had a rare win over Oz.
Yeah I have a vague recollection of that over. First Reid tried to knock a single to rotate the strike, then he decided to try and hit 4s to win the game, or something like that. Embarrassing.

bagapath

International Captain
Oh. Obvsly didn't realize it was a test team
From all over the world in the last 50 years, one can choose from Viv Richards, Lara, Chanders, Tendulkar, Dravid, Kohli, Miandad, Younis, Inzy, MoYo, Azam, Kallis, ABDV, Amla, KP, Root, Gower, Mahela, Sangakara, Aravinda, Williamson, Crowe, Andy Flower, Clarke, S Waugh, Hussey etc to play for the middle order. But no combination of that could be decisively better than

Ponting
G.Chappell
S Smith
AR Border *

No wonder Australia was the best team for about 20 years and the second best for 20 more years out of the last half a century of test cricket history.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
From all over the world in the last 50 years, one can choose from Viv Richards, Lara, Chanders, Tendulkar, Dravid, Kohli, Miandad, Younis, Inzy, MoYo, Azam, Kallis, ABDV, Amla, KP, Root, Gower, Mahela, Sangakara, Aravinda, Williamson, Crowe, Andy Flower, Clarke, S Waugh, Hussey etc to play for the middle order. But no combination of that could be decisively better than

Ponting
G.Chappell
S Smith
AR Border *
No wonder Australia was the best team for about 20 years and the second best for 20 more years out of the last half a century of test cricket history.
A gun middle order .... as is:

Richards
Kohli
Tendulkar
Lara

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
A gun middle order .... as is:

Richards
Kohli
Tendulkar
Lara
Just curious, his point was that all those players played for Australia over that time and could be argued as at least equal to any combo from all the other nations combined, unsure what point you’re trying to make in return?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Just curious, his point was that all those players played for Australia over that time and could be argued as at least equal to any combo from all the other nations combined, unsure what point you’re trying to make in return?
I'm fully aware that all 4 played for Australia but Bagpath's post read "From all over the world in the last 50 years, one can choose from (27 names) etc" and finished with "But no combination of that could be decisively better than Ponting, G.Chappell, S Smith, AR Border".
You ask, "..what point you’re trying to make in return?"
Surely it should be patently clear that the challenge was to match the "gun middle order" (my words) and I was endeavouring to do so.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli
Laxman

is comparably good too. Viv > Ponting > Dravid, Tendulkar > Lara > Chappell, Smith > Kohli > Chanderpaul. Border >> Laxman ≈ Lloyd though.
Bell
Root
KP
Stokes

Could be a very handy middle order.
Distinctly a level below imo. YK, Inzi, Babar, Yousuf is comparable.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli
Laxman

is comparably good too. Viv > Ponting > Dravid, Tendulkar > Lara > Chappell, Smith > Kohli > Chanderpaul. Border >> Laxman ≈ Lloyd though.

Distinctly a level below imo. YK, Inzi, Babar, Yousuf is comparable.
I do think the English MO is below the others, just thought what could be best for England in recent times.

England across the last 50 years could probably be better:

Gower
Root
KP
Gooch

That's pretty strong.

Little compares to WI and AUS in that same time period.