• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I do think the English MO is below the others, just thought what could be best for England in recent times.

England across the last 50 years could probably be better:

Gower
Root
KP
Gooch

That's pretty strong.

Little compares to WI and AUS in that same time period.
What is Gooch doing at number 6?
Change Gooch to Thorpe.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
So Pakistan past 50 years:

YK
Miandad
Inzy
Yousuf

Below YK can be in any order. That's actually damn strong and filled with 2 absolute genius match winners/savers.

India:
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli
Laxman

3 of those guys played with each other and did well but never won away as much as they should have done, shows they lacked something. Maybe they just didn't gel enough?

ataraxia

International Coach
SA
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Cullinan*

* If playing against Shane Warne, change to Ashwell Prince.
Warne and Prince played together in 9 matches, and Warne got him out 11 times. The best percentage of any bowler/batter combination with over ten dismissals.

FYI

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Only Inzy, Yousuf and Younis would know. ?‍♂
Interesting point...I always had a feeling that Inzy, Yousuf and YK never played together as much as they could have done. YK was often too volatile and poorly treated by selectors, Yousuf may have been dropped at odd occasions.

So I did a quick search and from 2000-2007 Pakistan played 74 tests, yet YK/Inzy/MoYo only represented Pakistan in 42 of these, yet they helped win 18 of the 29 tests Pak won in this period. You would think they would play more.

I then combined Dravid, Tendulkar and VVS...they played in a whopping 118 tests but only won 40, with a decent W/L ratio of 1.025...but YK/Inzy/MoYo combined for a W/L ratio of 1.285. If you only look at away wins, Pak once again come out on top with a W/L of about 0.9, compared to 0.5...consider India would have had an ATG opener in Sehwag in this period and a lower order that could include Yuvy, it's pretty poor returns.

Pak on the other hand went through a record number of openers in their period, barely any of them would average 40+ in tests and a chop and change approach, yet achieved more.

So my suspicions that India underachieved with a greatest of all time batting line up based on individual stats seem to be founded.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
A decent seam attack perhaps?
Maybe...it's not as if their batting was astounding in difficult conditions either. One of the best series wins of that gen was in England in 2007 and that was actually thanks to a brilliant run by seam bowler Zaheer Khan. In fact, none of the Indian batsmen scored as well as either KP or Vaughn (who was at the tail end of his career).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Why are you laughing?

Williamson is slightly better than Root
KP is better than Taylor
Nicholls = Bell
Watling is better than Stokes

Pretty equal overall, and obviously CDG is better than any of Bairstow/Butler/Moeen/Foakes at 7.