• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes Commentary Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think you're right about swing. There's been a love affair with it since 05. It's great to get it, but the ball doesn't swing much in a lot of places around the world.
It hasn't been since '05 (not in this country anyway) - swing has always, rightly, been seen as incredibly important over here, all the time I've been watching cricket.

In my experience also swing has become harder to get in places like South Africa and New Zealand in recent times - maybe to do with them using Kookaburra rather than Duke balls. And also in Australia, though no-one seems able to explain that. It was certainly incredibly difficult to get in England between 2001 and 2006, though in the last 3 seasons it's been back to normal. When, of course, the bowlers bowl properly.

And for the enfatuation with swing of which you talk, England's bowlers evidently did a pretty poor in-love impression with their constant whacking it in halfway down with the first new-ball.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sky is soooooooo much better than C9 that it makes me cry thinking about having to listen to Bill, Tony and Healy.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
"Eventful seven overs for Australia, not so for England," says Bumble

Hmm, I'd say seeing two of our batsmen back in the pavillion when we're trying to save an Ashes Test is pretty eventful tbh

[/grim pedant]

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The last two swung juuuuuuuust fine - whether the first didn't much because it was a bad ball or because they bowled in the worst way possible to engender swing I don't know, but it certainly didn't swing that much.

However, the notion that it's not possible to get a ball that, for no apparent reason, doesn't swing, is plain wrong and to support it suggests one isn't a bowler. I've had it several times and I've not played that many games compared to those in the Sky box. It may or may not have happened with the first new-ball England used, but it certainly can happen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Eventful seven overs for Australia, not so for England," says Bumble

Hmm, I'd say seeing two of our batsmen back in the pavillion when we're trying to save an Ashes Test is pretty eventful tbh

[/grim pedant]
Funnily enough, it's not unusual for commentators to use the "such-and-such [one team]... not so [other team]" when something's gone right for one team and obviously by implication wrong for the other - whether it's appropriate or not.

Redbacks

International Captain
Stuart McGill has progress from awkward to just slightly awkward on the SBS coverage. I thought Simon Hill did a top job last time round, even if he did support the wrong team!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The last two swung juuuuuuuust fine - whether the first didn't much because it was a bad ball or because they bowled in the worst way possible to engender swing I don't know, but it certainly didn't swing that much.

However, the notion that it's not possible to get a ball that, for no apparent reason, doesn't swing, is plain wrong and to support it suggests one isn't a bowler. I've had it several times and I've not played that many games compared to those in the Sky box. It may or may not have happened with the first new-ball England used, but it certainly can happen.
I think Swann was whinging about it at the preser as wel, FWIW.

Anyway, loving Boycs on TMS pre-lunch absolutely launching into the England batting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Preser?
Anyway, loving Boycs on TMS pre-lunch absolutely launching into the England batting.
I suppose, monotonous as it is, if you're going to have commentators at all then you've got to expect criticism for abysmal performances such as England's this Test, never mind second-innings.

Burgey

Preser?

I suppose, monotonous as it is, if you're going to have commentators at all then you've got to expect criticism for abysmal performances such as England's this Test, never mind second-innings.
Presser, sorry

Uppercut

Boycs has a point in a situation like this, but in general I think he just damages English cricket from the roots up with his insistence that it's somehow better to get out playing a defensive shot than an attacking one.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I take it you're not a bowler then?
I take it you're not serious.

They should get some tips off Australia if that's the case, they seem to have chosen a 'good ball' twice. If they were using Gabba balls they'd have some reason to complain.

I've personally never been involved in a game where a ball did nothing at all for the whole innings. Although it would be strange if bowlers of that caliber got nothing out of it.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sky is soooooooo much better than C9 that it makes me cry thinking about having to listen to Bill, Tony and Healy.
God, yeah. I hate David Lloyd, but overall the Sky team is really pretty solid, while the Nine team is dismal and getting worse each year.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bit of a faux pas from Nasser just then, "you've got to believe that someone has to stay with Collingwood."

Well yes Nasser, I don't think the rules allow him to bat on his own :p

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Boycs has a point in a situation like this, but in general I think he just damages English cricket from the roots up with his insistence that it's somehow better to get out playing a defensive shot than an attacking one.
Boycs makes the ocasssional good point but he has the soul destroying habit of repeating it about 100 times in the space of 5 minutes, sometimes he makes the same point twice in the same sentance,

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Any idea why Bob Willis seems to have been demoted from his commentary position with Sky? I always liked listening to him more than most of the others

As for the Sky Commentators, I think they are all for the most part pretty good, Channel 5 on the other hand is a different matter entirely, I can't stand Mark Nicholas, Simon Hughes is awful as well, and Boycott is indeed very irritating.

Best commentary however in my opinion is on the radio, wish we got Jonathan Agnew on TV.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Willis hasn't commentated on home internationals since Sky got Tests. Much better suited to the highlight rants IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My favourite ever Willis moment was during the MCG Test in 06-07. He was asked on the day 2 or 3 (I can't remember which) highlights whether England could win. He glared right into the camera and very firmly went, "no!" It was awesome.