• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes Commentary Thread

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah good call. That's exactly the sort of thing that I'm interested in, detailed techincal analysis. Also, just stuff like the ins and outs of the professional game that 99% of the viewers won't have a clue about, stuff like anecdotes that are interesting rather than repeating the same of cliches when they have nothing other to say.
This.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
These guys were athletes, not analysts. That's why it's rare to find someone who has leanings towards both. Athletes generally know their own game far, far better than the game itself a lot of the time.
This is a really good point. Very often the best commentators are not those with supreme natural talent (Botham, Gower) but those who've had to struggle to learn to play the game at a reasonably high level with much less talent.

The reason is twofold.

First, (and I realise this is a whopping generalisation) they've reached professional level partly through careful analysis of the game which enables them more easily to communicate the theory to us mere mortals.

Second, and more importantly, they have become professional commentators on merit rather than on their reputations as players.

JonnyB

Cricket Spectator
Botham is really good and i like Knight too not too sure on David Lloyd though, My fav is Micheal Holding, he is excellent

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Botham is really good and i like Knight too not too sure on David Lloyd though, My fav is Micheal Holding, he is excellent
Calling Botham good is the equivelant of gang raping children and then calling it a "bit of fun."

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne is apparently not going to join the commentary until he gets knocked out of his poker tournament. How rubbish is that? I hope they have another Aussie in to cover for him.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne is apparently not going to join the commentary until he gets knocked out of his poker tournament. How rubbish is that? I hope they have another Aussie in to cover for him.
Good to see he's showing the same level of commitment to his new employers as he did to Hampshire in his last year as captain.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty weak, but judging by the Loins game they won't be arsed.

Would like to see Stuie Law get the nod if they do, talks a lot of sense (moreso than Warne IMHO) and has little truck with the cheerleading certain comms get dragged into.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Would like to see Stuie Law get the nod if they do, talks a lot of sense (moreso than Warne IMHO) and has little truck with the cheerleading certain comms get dragged into.
Good point, this. The prospect of Warne and "Sir Ian" getting into patriotic drum-beating arguments is almost too bleak to contemplate.

Anyone know how you can synchronise TMS commentary on digital radio with pictures on Sky TV?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good point, this. The prospect of Warne and "Sir Ian" getting into patriotic drum-beating arguments is almost too bleak to contemplate.

Anyone know how you can synchronise TMS commentary on digital radio with pictures on Sky TV?
If you have Sky+ it's merely a case of getting the timing right.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If you have Sky+ it's merely a case of getting the timing right.
The problem is that the digital radio is a couple of seconds ahead of Sky (and even more so on Sky HD). So it's the radio that you need to delay. I have considered buying one of those digital radios that you can pause specifically for this purpose. The thought of Warne v Botham in the commentary box may just convince me that the outlay is justifiable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dunno, I quite enjoy the hearing-what's-happened-then-watching-it-a-second-later routine from time to time. Has good novelty value.

Either way I surely can't be alone in not giving a stuff about who commentates? I'm used to most, and as long as we don't have to endure rank terrible commentators (which, contrary to some assertions, none of Charles Colville, Bob Willis, Paul Allott, David Gower, Ian Botham, David Lloyd, Nasser Hussain nor Michael Atherton are - though each have their demerits and some are indeed terrible in certain other areas) it doesn't bother me in the slightest. If something happens to be informative I listen with great interest; if it doesn't I've forgotten it 2 minutes later.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Just driving home and thought i would put talk sport on to see if they were talking about the ashes. Listened for 5 minutes and lost half my brain cells...Ian Wright was on ffs.

Cricket is truly blessed.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Glad to see Sky Sports News actually had some Ashes coverage tonight.

I switched on last night for 15 minutes or so, and the whole time was completely taken up with Christian Ronaldo's arrival at Real Madrid. :blink:

I seem to be out on a limb here, but I'm a big Bumble fan. Yes he's irreverent at times, but I can forgive him that for the genuine enthusiasm he shows...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Indeed, hated him even more when SSN felt his move to Real deserved top billing ahead of the Ashes yesterday though