• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 10 players who will "define" cricket in the next decade

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
According to Indian press, Wisden Cricketer has an article on the ten players they thing will define cricket in the next decade. I think it's an interesting list.
http://inhome.rediff.com/cricket/2007/may/23raina.htm

Michael Clarke (Aus)
Shaun Tait (Aus)
Shane Watson (Aus)
Kevin Pietersen (Eng)
Mohammad Asif (Pak)
Lasith Malinga (Sri)
Suresh Raina (Ind)
Dwayne Bravo (WI)
Ross Taylor (NZ)
Mohammad Ashraful (Ban)

Interesting gaps to me are the lack of a South African on the list, as well as the lack of a spin bowler. Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting gaps to me are the lack of a South African on the list, as well as the lack of a spin bowler. Anyone have any thoughts?
Hmm. I was gonna make the same point about Englishmen tbh. :ph34r:

Seriously tho, no Monty is a slight surprise. Regardless of his qualities as a player (and I'm a fan), he is definitely box office.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ashraful is laughable (especially given his inclusion at the expense of South Africans and Englishmen), Raina wholly questionable and Tait decidedly undecided.

That is all. :)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

Seriously tho, no Monty is a slight surprise. Regardless of his qualities as a player (and I'm a fan), he is definitely box office.
Yeah, Monty would be a nice add actually :)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashraful is laughable (especially given his inclusion at the expense of South Africans and Englishmen), Raina wholly questionable and Tait decidedly undecided.

That is all. :)
I'd much rather have Mortaza for Ashraful or Tait for that matter.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Great thread. It's hard to predict who'll be considered world class for the next generation, but one player I think who'll endure in the game for a long time, enjoy great success and one day be rated the best criketer in the world is Kevin Pietersen. There's a touch of genius about him, and I love his confidence. Hard to see him being a failure from my point of view.

Actually I think England might resurface as a fine team again in a few years. Liam Plunkett is only 21 and getting the ball to reverse. I quite like him. I'm not confident he'll be world class one day, but he has the potential to be.

pskov

International 12th Man
Ashraful is not even Bangladesh's most promising batsman so no idea why he is on the list. Also not sure if Raina deserves to be, though he is really young (can't remember quite how young but IIRC he is still a teenager) so he has plent of time to prove his worth yet. Also not sure about Bravo and Taylor, both of whom have absolute bags of talent but I doubt somewhat whether they will ever be able to harness them, Bravo based on results to date and Taytlor purely on a hunch.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashraful is not even Bangladesh's most promising batsman so no idea why he is on the list. Also not sure if Raina deserves to be, though he is really young (can't remember quite how young but IIRC he is still a teenager) so he has plent of time to prove his worth yet. Also not sure about Bravo and Taylor, both of whom have absolute bags of talent but I doubt somewhat whether they will ever be able to harness them, Bravo based on results to date and Taytlor purely on a hunch.
I was really impressed by Bravo in the last test, he had a good attitude to back up the talent.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually I think England might resurface as a fine team again in a few years. Liam Plunkett is only 21 and getting the ball to reverse. I quite like him. I'm not confident he'll be world class one day, but he has the potential to be.
Accuracy is important to being World-class... I'm hardly confident in his ability to attain said trait.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also not sure about Bravo and Taylor, both of whom have absolute bags of talent but I doubt somewhat whether they will ever be able to harness them, Bravo based on results to date and Taytlor purely on a hunch.
If anyone can harness his talent it's Dwayne Bravo. His results to date have not been as I'd like, but there has been more than enough IMO to suggest he has what it takes.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, with the specification of redefining cricket, the list is spot on.

Michael Clarke (Aus) - The most promising Australian batsman, a top fielder and handy bowler. Expected to carry the batting line of the Worlds best team.

Shaun Tait (Aus) - Very quick, could reach new levels of pace.

Shane Watson (Aus) - Good batsman, good bowler, could be the Aussie Flintoff.

Kevin Pietersen (Eng) - England's best ever batting prospect. Redefines the way people bat and does it well.

Mohammad Asif (Pak) - Pakistani pacers don't have to be 90mph. Also, could help bring Pakistan to new levels of greatness.

Lasith Malinga (Sri) - His bowling action and capable of breathtaking spells such as against New Zealand.

Suresh Raina (Ind) - FC Average of 46 and List A Average of 36, fantastic fielder and just 20 years old.

Dwayne Bravo (WI) - Promising batsman, but should not be on the list.

Ross Taylor (NZ) - Fantastic prospect, could bring New Zealand to World domination.

Mohammad Ashraful (Ban) - May lift Bangladesh off the top of the foot of the ODI and Test tables with his match winning innings'.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kevin Pietersen (Eng) - England's best ever batting prospect.
Haha, noooooooooooooooooooo. 'Fraid not. There have been many magnificent players to play for England. That Pietersen should top them all is little short of unthinkable.
Dwayne Bravo (WI) - Promising batsman, but should not be on the list.
Umm, rather promising bowler too, no?
Ross Taylor (NZ) - Fantastic prospect, could bring New Zealand to World domination.
Haha, WTF? One player can do such? :blink:
Mohammad Ashraful (Ban) - May lift Bangladesh off the top of the foot of the ODI and Test tables with his match winning innings'.
Just... no. There are a few who might possibly do that - he is not one of them.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I will take Raina, Watson, Bravo out of that list and instead add Cook, Monty and Tharanga.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook, is the most notable exclusion. The blokes got everything to become top-class for many years to come.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Just occurred to me, actually... Ashraful ahead of Cook? Or de Villiers? Or any multitude of others who don't have lengthy Test careers as failures, really? Including his own team-mate Shahriar Nafees Ahmed.

They're mad.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes, if I am to be fairly biased for a moment, would perhaps add Panesar and Cook to that list. In terms of KP, he has the potential to be Englands finest batsman for a very long time. Admittedly longevity is the key to become a legend, and all the signs are good for him to achieve that. The appetite seems good.