• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 10 players who will "define" cricket in the next decade

Woodster

International Captain
Im really surpirised no-ones mentioned ian bell a class player and will be a better player when he gets older. He will learn how to convert them 50s into 100s. A really bright talent.
I agree but I've already mentioned Cook and Panesar, people will start to think I'm a typical biased Pom!

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Im really surpirised no-ones mentioned ian bell a class player and will be a better player when he gets older. He will learn how to convert them 50s into 100s. A really bright talent.
Fair call :)

For some reason though I can't get myself excited about Bell, I don't know why. Personal preference perhaps.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There hasnt been a more talented batsman that has played for England certainly in my lifetime....the fact that he is averaging 50 in his 2 year test career, and it is quite possible that we havent seen anywhere near all of his potential says a hell of a lot about his talent

Injury permitting, there is no reason why he shouldnt be averaging over 50 (maybe well over 50 in fact) for a good 120 test career.
But there are people who've averaged that and more over lengthy careers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fair call :)

For some reason though I can't get myself excited about Bell, I don't know why. Personal preference perhaps.
He's not really the sort of player to extricate "excitement", really. He's a bit of a Tendulkar (not at the same level, obviously) in that he'll play huge parts in the accumulation of countless big scores (and therefore, when the bowlers are good enough to play their part, victories), but he'll not be the sort to play that innings that innings that gets spotted by those who only scratch the surface in looking for the notable deeds of a batsman.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
He's not really the sort of player to extricate "excitement", really. He's a bit of a Tendulkar (not at the same level, obviously) in that he'll play huge parts in the accumulation of countless big scores (and therefore, when the bowlers are good enough to play their part, victories), but he'll not be the sort to play that innings that innings that gets spotted by those who only scratch the surface in looking for the notable deeds of a batsman.
I dunno... I mean, I can get excited about Cook even though he's more of an accumulator too.

But then again, I'm not exactly the biggest Tendulkar fan. Fantastic player without a doubt, but give me Ponting to watch any day of the week.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
for England?
Kenny Barrington, Len Hutton, Denis Compton, Edward Dexter (nearly).

And it'll take quite something, really, to convince me that Kevin Pietersen is a better batsman than Geoff Boycott. Cook... maybe (and only maybe). But the general standard of bowling will simply have to improve in the next few years, otherwise it'll be impossible to class Pietersen anything other than a magnificent player in an era of weak bowling, just like *ahem* one or two others.

Never before have two players of decent careers with batting-averages over 50 played together for England. If (and I think it very possible) Cook and Pietersen end-up being two such cases (even three - with Bell - isn't at all impossible) it simply cannot fail to be said that batting in England is no longer so difficult as it almost always used to be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I dunno... I mean, I can get excited about Cook even though he's more of an accumulator too.

But then again, I'm not exactly the biggest Tendulkar fan. Fantastic player without a doubt, but give me Ponting to watch any day of the week.
Cook is a player, though, that I can't help but fail to doubt will play one or two of those "Lara" or "Atherton" innings which see him stand in the face of everything thrown at him and achieve the near-impossible (whether that be a draw or a win, and both played many innings to achieve both such results). Tendulkar rarely did the sort, which is why the simplistic dismiss him as "not a match-winner".

And TBH, I'd prefer watch a Tendulkar innings than most others', but that's all about aesthetics. :)

Swervy

International Captain
Kenny Barrington, Len Hutton, Denis Compton, Edward Dexter (nearly).
120 tests??

Times are different now as well. Due to current test cricketers hardly playing any first class cricket outside the test arena, you basically have to find your form whilst playing test cricket. Back then, esp on tour, you had a number of games to find your feet, and bat your way back into form. So I think we can expect KP to have a few slumps, but watching the guy bat there is no doubt he can ride those slumps out

And it'll take quite something, really, to convince me that Kevin Pietersen is a better batsman than Geoff Boycott. Cook... maybe (and only maybe). But the general standard of bowling will simply have to improve in the next few years, otherwise it'll be impossible to class Pietersen anything other than a magnificent player in an era of weak bowling, just like *ahem* one or two others.
Pointless comparing Boycott and Pietersen, if there were ever to completely opposite types of player to have played for England, these two are they. I dare say though that KP may well end his test career (again injury permitting) with a superior record to Boycott, his talent is that great IMO

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
120 tests??
No real extra worth, IMO, in playing 120 Tests compared to, say, 76. Either way, it's a career of extreme longevity.
Times are different now as well. Due to current test cricketers hardly playing any first class cricket outside the test arena, you basically have to find your form whilst playing test cricket. Back then, esp on tour, you had a number of games to find your feet, and bat your way back into form. So I think we can expect KP to have a few slumps, but watching the guy bat there is no doubt he can ride those slumps out
I'm very much hopeful that we will sometime get back to what I'd call a proper tour schedule. In any case, Pietersen's hardly shown he has a problem in the First-Class game, he's scored runs wherever and whatever the occasion.
Pointless comparing Boycott and Pietersen, if there were ever to completely opposite types of player to have played for England, these two are they. I dare say though that KP may well end his test career (again injury permitting) with a superior record to Boycott, his talent is that great IMO
I don't doubt that for a second. But I do have to severely doubt whether Pietersen's record would be as good as Boycott's were he to face the bowling Boycott did. Boycott, right now, is easily the best English batsmen to debut since the 1950s - no-one else comes close. And it'd be a shame if someone did, and didn't get the chance to prove they were more than a weak-team bully. Pietersen I don't doubt could score runs against the attacks of the 1970s, 80s and 90s, but probably not in the quantity Boycott did. And yes, I'm very well aware that Boycott was no slouch when it came to cashing-in against the lesser attacks too.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
And it'll take quite something, really, to convince me that Kevin Pietersen is a better batsman than Geoff Boycott.
Definately, he needs to play out a whole career before he can become a legend. To me though, he is top of that and any list of potential redefiners of cricket.

There hasnt been a more talented batsman that has played for England certainly in my lifetime....the fact that he is averaging 50 in his 2 year test career, and it is quite possible that we havent seen anywhere near all of his potential says a hell of a lot about his talent

Injury permitting, there is no reason why he shouldnt be averaging over 50 (maybe well over 50 in fact) for a good 120 test career.
Big deal. Many of the England batsman have an overinflated average of 45+

Bell's average is a misleading joke, Collingwoods, Cook's etc. Strauss' was sky high for too long as well.

The bowling is about as friendly as the pitches these days. Guys from the previous era such as Ming were better players yet averaged less.

Cook averaging nearly 10 more than someone like The ****roach is also a laughable reflection.

Swervy

International Captain
No real extra worth, IMO, in playing 120 Tests compared to, say, 76. Either way, it's a career of extreme longevity.
76 tests these days isnt extreme longevity, KP will probably reach that in say 2010ish, 5 years after his debut

I don't doubt that for a second. But I do have to severely doubt whether Pietersen's record would be as good as Boycott's were he to face the bowling Boycott did. Boycott, right now, is easily the best English batsmen to debut since the 1950s - no-one else comes close. And it'd be a shame if someone did, and didn't get the chance to prove they were more than a weak-team bully. Pietersen I don't doubt could score runs against the attacks of the 1970s, 80s and 90s, but probably not in the quantity Boycott did. And yes, I'm very well aware that Boycott was no slouch when it came to cashing-in against the lesser attacks too.
You are doing it again, it is pure guess work from you.

The implication is KP is a'weak team bully', which is unbeleivable considering how well he has batted against the best bowling attack in the world, and how well he has played against two of the best spinners the game has ever seen etc

To say Boycott is EASILY the best batsman to debut for England since the 50s is a bit strong. A great batsman, but not the talent of Pietersen I am afraid, KP has the potential to do a lot more

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Bell's average is a misleading joke, Collingwoods, Cook's etc. Strauss' was sky high for too long as well.

The bowling is about as friendly as the pitches these days. Guys from the previous era such as Ming were better players yet averaged less.

Cook averaging nearly 10 more than someone like The ****roach is also a laughable reflection.
Agreeing with Richard, interesting new tactic, will enjoy seeing how that works out:cool:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook is a player, though, that I can't help but fail to doubt will play one or two of those "Lara" or "Atherton" innings which see him stand in the face of everything thrown at him and achieve the near-impossible (whether that be a draw or a win, and both played many innings to achieve both such results). Tendulkar rarely did the sort, which is why the simplistic dismiss him as "not a match-winner".

And TBH, I'd prefer watch a Tendulkar innings than most others', but that's all about aesthetics. :)
Dunno why I prefer Ponting really, cause he's an irritating little ****. There's something about him though.

Swervy

International Captain

I think you have missed the point .

I think it is plainly obvious that the likes of Collingwood, Strauss etc are probably playing at a level which is somewhere near where their talent level is, ie good test batsman, with the ability to hit a purple patch and score heavily.

With pietersen, it looks to me we havent yet seen him really hit his stride, which is scary really considering how much he has acheived already.

there is a hell of a chance that he will take many of the batting records for England, which is something a few people said about him even before he made his test debut

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
76 tests these days isnt extreme longevity, KP will probably reach that in say 2010ish, 5 years after his debut
But there was a time when it was. For different players, longevity will have different meaning. Saying "Pietersen averaged 50 over 120 Tests so he must be better than Compton who averaged 50 over just 70" is wrong. Compton would almost certainly have done likewise given the opportunity to play 120 Tests.
You are doing it again, it is pure guess work from you.

The implication is KP is a'weak team bully', which is unbeleivable considering how well he has batted against the best bowling attack in the world, and how well he has played against two of the best spinners the game has ever seen etc

To say Boycott is EASILY the best batsman to debut for England since the 50s is a bit strong. A great batsman, but not the talent of Pietersen I am afraid, KP has the potential to do a lot more
It depends how you look upon "talent". I've always had a rather broader brush for the word than most. Boycott's ability to play the right shot time after time doesn't just happen with hard work, you need quite some natural ability.

It'd be very interesting indeed to see how the two of them would fare in the 1990s (a time neither played) when a weak bowling-attack was fairly rare. It'd also be interesting to see how Pietersen would have fared against some of the strong attacks Boycott faced. Pietersen has undoubtedly faced, and scored runs against, some excellent bowlers (be they Warne, Clark or Muralitharan) but he's also gorged himself on some nonsense (and some abysmal catching), to a far greater extent than Boycott ever had the chance to. If Boycott played right now, he might well average 60 or even more. Unless, of course, he were to be dropped for slow scoring again. 8-)

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I agree with most of the names on the list, and definitely think Bravo should be on there. I also agree to an extent with Cook - I think he'll go a long way, but he's perhaps not as dashing as some of the other players on there, so may not get the recognition he deserves?

I'm going to stick my hugely biased neck on the line and take a punt with Joe Denly. After his fantastic innings today (115* out of 199) against an attack spearheaded by Warne and Stuart Clark, the guy has huge potential. I could see him opening the England innings with Cook for many a year.