• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tests: Best ever Opening batsman

Who was the best opening batsman ever in tests?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't consider Gooch for the opening spot IMO. Made his debut at 5 and didn't start opening the batting for England until 3 years later. Clearly not an opener.
He however had been an opening batsman all his life, at every level he played at, and only made his Test debut as a number-five because the side was stacked with openers at the time. Langer on the other hand had always been a middle-order batsman at every level he'd played at until the 2001 Fifth Test.

archie mac

International Coach
I had the pleasure of watching a lot of Gooch and Langer, and personally I thought Googh the better batsman, although Langer was a class act. I would in fact have Slater in front of Langer:)

Langer had problems with his technique, why else would he get hit in the head so many times in Tests? :unsure:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He however had been an opening batsman all his life, at every level he played at, and only made his Test debut as a number-five because the side was stacked with openers at the time. Langer on the other hand had always been a middle-order batsman at every level he'd played at until the 2001 Fifth Test.
Completely wrong. Gooch was not an opening batsman at all at First Class level. He batted at 4 or 5 for Essex and only started opening in 1978 shortly before his England recall.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langer had problems with his technique, why else would he get hit in the head so many times in Tests? :unsure:
Except batting in Test cricket isn't about how many times you get hit in the head, but about how many runs you score.

andyc

Either way... Langer certainly did notplay the majority of his Test career as an opening batsman.
Uh oh...

At number 3: 61 innings
At number 4: 5 innings
At number 7: 1 innings
As opener: 115 innings

Would probably put that somewhere in the vicinity of 'the majority' of his Test career, just personally.

Uh oh...

At number 3: 61 innings
At number 4: 5 innings
At number 7: 1 innings
As opener: 115 innings

Would probably put that somewhere in the vicinity of 'the majority' of his Test career, just personally.
There is not one English batsman who played in the same era as Langer who had half the success as him. I think it is just sour grapes from Richard.

archie mac

International Coach
Except batting in Test cricket isn't about how many times you get hit in the head, but about how many runs you score.
If it was just about how many runs you scored no one would watch, I think it is about how as well (for me anyway). Being hit in the head as much as Langer shows poor technique, he is just luck he played Test cricket when he did:-O

Days of Grace

International Captain
There is not one English batsman who played in the same era as Langer who had half the success as him. I think it is just sour grapes from Richard.
If Richard is consistent, he would say that Gilchrist is not Australia's best ever ODI opener, since he was not an opener by trade.

social

has to be hobbs. scored tons of runs either side of the big war on different surfaces facing different bowlers playing completely different games (front foot and attacking/ backfoot and pragmatic). went on and on for three decades in both FC and tests as the no.1 batsman in the world. would have maintained a 50+ avg against the windies pace battery of the 70s. and that is the highest praise i could think of.
Cant be certain of that as he never faced an attack with remotely their class, depth or pace

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry but you're wide of the mark.

First, Richard may have some odd theories (Gooch had always been an opener before he played for England; Langer didn't play the majority of his Tests as opener) but he's not got a particularly pro-English bias. If it's national bias you're after, there are one or two contributors to this thread that spring immediately to mind but Richard isn't among them.

Second, even if he did have a pro-English bias, why would there be any sour grapes from him in relation to a poll in which 3 of the 5 top openers are English, including the runaway leader?

Third, I'd suggest four batsmen in the Langer era who had at least "half the success" that he did: Trescothick, Vaughan, Strauss, Pietersen.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Prompted by LT's post I had a quick look at Gooch's early playing days on cricket archive.

Apart from a couple of Sunday League games I can't find any instances on cricket archive of him opening in any form of cricket prior to his England debut. What's more he often batted as low as 8 or 9 in the order, even in 2nd XI cricket, and occasionally even played as a wicketkeeper.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry but you're wide of the mark.

First, Richard may have some odd theories (Gooch had always been an opener before he played for England; Langer didn't play the majority of his Tests as opener) but he's not got a particularly pro-English bias. If it's national bias you're after, there are one or two contributors to this thread that spring immediately to mind but Richard isn't among them.

Second, even if he did have a pro-English bias, why would there be any sour grapes from him in relation to a poll in which 3 of the 5 top openers are English, including the runaway leader?

Third, I'd suggest four batsmen in the Langer era who had at least "half the success" that he did: Trescothick, Vaughan, Strauss, Pietersen.
I can understand national bias' when we talk about Tendulkar v Ponting or Murali v Warne; but Richard's opinions are so wayward for some of his countrymen that he has to concoct ****amamy theories to appear he has reasoning; see Hayden and now Langer. As for your second question; it's Richard, he doesn't need a sane reason.

And of the batsmen you named only Pietersen gets close (in fact would/could surpass) but he isn't an opener. Vaughan isn't either but he is behind Langer by a distance. Same goes for Strauss and Trescothick.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
of the batsmen you named only Pietersen gets close (in fact I think surpasses) but he isn't an opener. Vaughan isn't either but he is behind Langer by a distance. Same goes for Strauss and Trescothick.
The post to which I was responding wasn't limited to openers.

Vaughan's best series were played as an opener, including his wonderful Ashes series in 02/03. However Richard has always taken the view that Vaughan has never been a good Test opener, as to which (a) he's wrong and (b) it does rather support the view that he's not a one-eyed English fanboy.

Have Strauss and Trescothick they had "half the success" that Langer has had? If you think they haven't, I think that with respect you're kidding yourself.