• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test NZ XI vs India

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nah would imagine that Rutherford, due to his age will get more leniency from the selectors than Fulton, even if he has looked terrible in most of this series.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah would imagine that Rutherford, due to his age will get more leniency from the selectors than Fulton, even if he has looked terrible in most of this series.
Haha, my thinking comes up with the exact opposite outcome for the same reasons.

if there's a tour match then it'd be great to see Bennett, Neesham, Sodhi and Vettori bowling, and Latham and Guptill opening. Unless they want to give more practise to Rutherford, Fulton and Wagner.

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
...team they will select:

Rutherford
Fulton
Williamson
Taylor
Anderson
McCullum
Watling
Vettori/Sodhi
Boult
Southee
Wagner

My team

Guptill
Rutherford
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson
Vettori
Watling
Bracewell
Southee
Boult

Flametree

International 12th Man
By coincidence I have been thinking of a north vs South match minus the black caps.
South despite only having two teams would walk this, North light on middle order batting.
Are there really no Nelson-based players in the CD side? Time was over half of the 11 would come from the perennial Hawke Cup holders (with Taranaki or Manawatu to supply a couple of quick bowlers...)

I may be showing my age a bit here.... {television screen goes all wavy at the edges, and I'm transported back to Fitzherbert Park, Stuart Duff bowling with Tony Blain behind the sticks, and cold Rheinecks in the chilly bin. So ok, it wasn't all better back then!!}

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd bring in Gillespie if he just looked likely near the series. Worst case scenario you get a work horse and best case is he takes wickets after Boult and Southee build.some pressure.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Is this series taking place in an alternate reality?
I came here to say exactly the same thing, so now there's not much point in posting.

Although I will say that saying 'no McCullum' is like desiring world peace. Yeah it'd be nice but let's get realistic - he's going out on his own terms not someone else's. Certainly not Hesson's. The best XI and the side that will face India are not the same. In fact they might be 3-4 players different. I could qualify that by saying:

Likely XI: Fulton Rutherford Williamson Taylor Ryder McCullum Anderson Watling Southee Wagner Boult
My XI: Fulton Papps Williamson Taylor Ryder Guptill Watling Southee Anderson/Sodhi Gillespie Boult

Rutherford could do with going back to PS and crafting a way to play a Test innings, and if you're not going to pick Papps after two years of immaculate form, given Fulton was recalled last year in similar circumstances, it sends a mixed message and makes PS seem a waste of time. Do not want Wagner, do not want McCullum. If it's a green one, pick Anderson, if it's like Hamilton go for Ish. And Gillespie's numbers aren't flash but they weren't flash before the SA tests in 2012 either. A bit of variety with a right-arm bounce bowler would be no bad thing, especially against India.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah McCullum is still easily one of the top 6 batsmen in the country, for me. He absolutely should be in the team. Just that he has to open because other better batsmen have more claim to the middle order slots.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Nah McCullum is still easily one of the top 6 batsmen in the country, for me. He absolutely should be in the team. Just that he has to open because other better batsmen have more claim to the middle order slots.
He may have jumped the shark a year ago.

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
So the middle order is all taken due to Anderson being good, and McCullum being there. Does that mean Ryder will have to do what the other middle order domestic players are doing and start opening the batting for Otago?

Only way to get into the team is to open in domestic now haha

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd probably have him at sixth, behind Taylor Williamson Ryder Guptill (in middle order) and Watling. But of course that doesn't give him a batting spot. We all know he's not interested in opening again so again, it's not particularly worth thinking about. I think we can all agree Jesse is a better option at 5. At 6, not keeping, I can't see how he justifies keeping Anderson, Watling or even Guptill in the sort of form he's in out of the team. He's a decent captain but he doesn't hold his spot over those guys. Gup scored runs at #5 (Bangladesh I know but also 58 v Australia) and deserves another go, for mine. But again, it's all hot air because Brendon is going nowhere.

So Gup stays out, Jesse goes to five and then Ish/Anderson battle for one spot. I'd never wish an injury on anyone but now might be a nice time for Brendon to go the way of Dan and grab a couple of years of Big Bashing over a lesser period in whites.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My test team for NZ vs India in the new year:

Latham
Rutherford
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson
Watling
Southee
Sodhi
Wagner
Boult

No McCullum.
Your rationale for selecting Sodhi ahead of Vettori?

Ultimate Experience team:

Latham (MVP)
McCullum (C)
Williamson (7)
Taylor
Ryder (6)
Anderson (4)
Watling
Vettori (5)
Southee (1)
Bennett (3)
Boult (2)

View attachment 21047
Great side ;)

My team

Guptill
Rutherford
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson
Vettori
Watling
Bracewell
Southee
Boult
No offence, but have actually been watching cricket since Bracewell took his 6-fer in Hobart a couple of years back?

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So Gup stays out, Jesse goes to five and then Ish/Anderson battle for one spot. I'd never wish an injury on anyone but now might be a nice time for Brendon to go the way of Dan and grab a couple of years of Big Bashing over a lesser period in whites.
I suppose with Ryder and Williamson bowling a few overs Anderson could make it as a 4th bowler but it's risky. I think we've already been over this but if we're picking 4 seamers and no spinner I don't think one of them should be Anderson. I know NZ always needs the batting strength, but unless the guy is Imran Khan you don't pick an allrounder for one of the 4 bowler's spots. Especially considering Anderson's injury liability.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Talent wise I agree but he's been performing poorly over the last 3 years. He's scored 1 century in 48 innings and averages 32 over this period.