• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Fast Bowlers With Long Run-Ups

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I recall watching Wes Hall bowling and someone made the comment, 'he pushes off from the sight-screen'. He certainly had a long run-up as did Michael Holding and Dennis Lillee. From memory, Shoaib Akhtar had something like 23 paces and must be a contender. Has anyone ever studied run-ups and found who has the longest in Test cricket history? I'm sure there are others worthy of mention.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fidel Edwards had a pretty long run up. Holding did too early in his career.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Naturally I've observed this a lot. It's a bit hard defining how long one is - do you count the walking steps if there's any? I always count the delivery stride.

IIRC the longest I've seen in terms of steps was David Lawrence, which I think was about 28. McDermott's was 26 in the late eighties, and boy did he look like he was going to keel over at the end of it, like he was running on sand. As for actual length, could be seventies Holding - 22-24 steps I think, but very long strides.

Thankfully the day of the super sized run is gone and over 20 steps seems to be unusual now.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I have seen, Akhtar has the longest run-up and Archer has the shortest run-up among pacers who generate decent pace.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't believe we've got to 8 replies and no-one has mentioned RGD Willis yet.

Big, bad Bob had an insanely long (and very idiosyncratic) run up.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't believe we've got to 8 replies and no-one has mentioned RGD Willis yet.

Big, bad Bob had an insanely long (and very idiosyncratic) run up.
Stole my thunder, reading half way down the page before seeing Willis mentioned surprised me. On those smaller NZ grounds I swear he almost started his run in from 5 meters inside the boundary

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
From what I have seen, Akhtar has the longest run-up and Archer has the shortest run-up among pacers who generate decent pace.
Craig White bowled very sharply from a short run-up. And although he never played international cricket again after his injuries, Simon Jones returned to T20 cricket in his later years and still bowled 90 mph without a run-up at all.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Dilley?

If it is, I thought about him as well. Very long and an angle that was ridiculous even for someone like angled runups.
Yes indeed. Crazy long for someone who wasn't really all that fast as far as I recall. A bit like Murtagh and Hannon-Dalby in domestic cricket.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A bit like Murtagh and Hannon-Dalby in domestic cricket.
That's a bit mean. Dilley was way swifter than them, one of the sharper Pommy bowlers at the time. Not all that accurate though and had a lot of trouble with his action (not helped by coaches attempting to 'fix' it - where have we heard that one before?)

If you want a Murtagh with an absurd run, Martin Snedden's your man.