• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ten players you wished you could have seen live in their prime?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nothing more exciting/ thrilling in cricket really.
It's definitely why, to me, I can appreciate the skill and aptitude of a Glenn McGrath immensely - but I'd really always be wanting watch peak Waqar ahead of him. I did get to watch a number of the West Indian greats of the 80s, but how can one really compare to a Lillee, Tyson, Adcock, Trueman without having really seen them. Anecdote and stats only get you so far.

Plus, as you say, watching these guys at their peak would be bliss.

Ideally, pit them against some of those batsmen who have been assessed as FTBs to definitively prove whether they're as good as their stats really say. Adcock to Kallis?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Apart from the obvious top two cricketers in history (Sobers, Bradman),

Viv and Marshall dominate this thread. Who is the closest to them in current era? Sehwag/Ponting and Steyn?

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
I think of Viv Richards and Dale Steyn, in similar terms, with respect to them being clutch champion match winners. Both are unparalleled in their ability to turn a match on its head in the matter of a session(batting and bowling SR), and both were such key components of their teams winning key tests and series away from home. Steyn in Ind, Aus(2008) and Eng(2012), and Viv in 76 Eng, 80 Pak, 79 Aus(another reason why I think it is the greatest peak bar Bradman).

I believe Tyson to be quicker - an opinion shared by Richie Benaud.
@JBMAC - you saw both. What's your take?
Lack of footage definitely hinders Tyson. There is lot more of Larwood despite arriving earlier than that of Tyson. Tyson ofc quicker than anyone Pre-Thommo but I find it very hard to believe any human has ever bowled quicker or around Peak Thommo’s speed.

JBMAC

State Captain
I believe Tyson to be quicker - an opinion shared by Richie Benaud.
@JBMAC - you saw both. What's your take?
Benaud faced Tyson at his peak but not Thommo, Tysons nickname was "Typhoon" so no doubt he was quick. Having said that having played with Thommo and against him I would venture the opinion that he was quicker BUT did not have the control or direction Tyson had. So it was really six of one or half a dozen of the other

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Lack of footage definitely hinders Tyson. There is lot more of Larwood despite arriving earlier than that of Tyson. Tyson ofc quicker than anyone Pre-Thommo but I find it very hard to believe any human has ever bowled quicker or around Peak Thommo’s speed.
In David Frith’s ‘Bodyline Autopsy’ he refers to significant parts of the 32/33 series being recorded on film (over and above) the clips seen in newsreels. Has anyone ever seen this?

Aritro

International Regular
Bradperson and Thomson to see how fast he really was up close. Also I always wanted to see what Bill O'Reilly"s bowling looked like after reading descriptions. Barnes as well for similar reasons.

And Grace obviously. Trumper to see how cavalier he really was and what he looked like compared to today's white ball bats.

And finally, Ranjitsinhji. He was all supple wrists and whips and flicks they say. And that's just in the bedroom!

tony p

First Class Debutant
Tom Richardson
Tich Freeman
Walcott
Weekes
Worrell
Denis Compton
Neil Harvey
Keith Miller
Mike Procter
Barry Richards

bagapath

International Captain
just for sheer entertainment I would love to see this team play... and all of them played, and many of them died, more than 100 years ago!

Victor Trumper
Dr. WG Grace *
Clem Hill
Kumar Ranjintsinhji
GA Faulkner (5)
Hon. FS Jackson (6)
Jack Gregory (3)
Monty Noble (4)
Jack Blackham +
Fred Spofforth (1)
Syd Barnes (2)

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
just for sheer entertainment I would love to see this team play... and all of them played, and many of them died, more than 100 years ago!

Victor Trumper
Dr. WG Grace *
Clem Hill
Kumar Ranjintsinhji
GA Faulkner (5)
Hon. FS Jackson (6)
Jack Gregory (3)
Monty Noble (4)
Jack Blackham +
Fred Spofforth (1)
Sid Barnes (2)
Sid Barnes was the opener; Syd Barnes the bowler.