• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ten players you wished you could have seen live in their prime?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I think of Viv Richards and Dale Steyn, in similar terms, with respect to them being clutch champion match winners. Both are unparalleled in their ability to turn a match on its head in the matter of a session(batting and bowling SR), and both were such key components of their teams winning key tests and series away from home. Steyn in Ind, Aus(2008) and Eng(2012), and Viv in 76 Eng, 80 Pak, 79 Aus(another reason why I think it is the greatest peak bar Bradman).
Using the qualifier "won them a series" is a bit pedantic, innit? If you use thst qualifier you have to rate smith's peak, which included big series against India in 2016 with ashwin and jadeja, and the 2021 ashes, lower because his team won neither of those series despite no real fault of his own.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Bradperson and Thomson to see how fast he really was up close. Also I always wanted to see what Bill O'Reilly"s bowling looked like after reading descriptions. Barnes as well for similar reasons.

And Grace obviously. Trumper to see how cavalier he really was and what he looked like compared to today's white ball bats.

And finally, Ranjitsinhji. He was all supple wrists and whips and flicks they say. And that's just in the bedroom!
If it's Bradperson shouldn't it be Thomchild? Keeping this place a safe space, I don't think we're should refer to the 45th president of the USA by name, so *****er would be preferred. Ranjitsinjhi is also ableist (not everyone can run) and offensive to non-theists who don't believe in sin.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Using the qualifier "won them a series" is a bit pedantic, innit? If you use thst qualifier you have to rate smith's peak, which included big series against India in 2016 with ashwin and jadeja, and the 2021 ashes, lower because his team won neither of those series despite no real fault of his own.
You’re right. I should have said given important performances in overseas tours. That’s more clear

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Btw I said match winners cause Viv was unparalleled in his ability to turn over the tide of a match within a session due to quick run scoring, and Steyn could run through sides regardless of the pitch.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Bit Aussie heavy for a Kiwi but probably due to the books I've read. Also a bit bowler heavy too.

Tiger O'Reilly
Don Bradman
Clarrie Grimmett
Jack Cowie
Eddie Gilbert
Stan McCabe
Bert Sutcliffe
Harold Larwood
Viv Richards
Jack Hobbs

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Bit Aussie heavy for a Kiwi but probably due to the books I've read. Also a bit bowler heavy too.

Tiger O'Reilly
Don Bradman
Clarrie Grimmett
Jack Cowie
Eddie Gilbert
Stan McCabe
Bert Sutcliffe
Harold Larwood
Viv Richards
Jack Hobbs
Only four Aussies there tbf.