• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Teams at their Peak' XI

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So peak is 1 match, 1 series, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 5 years, 10 years or 23 years?

Note: Bradman is the only name whom I'll pick in all the above scenarios.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
In at their peaks xi at least, Warne has no case over Murali, I'd have thought.
Just look at his figures post 2000; for instance. An easy case. Warne was a freak, especially away. Striking as fast as the best ATG fast bowlers. He was striking as fast as McGrath :cool:

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, so I was going through 'Barry Norman's Book of Cricket' and he was talking about (in his opinion) the best teams in the World at their Peak were:

The 'Warwick Wonders' 1920-21

The Warwick Wonders was England at the time of Hobbs, Jack Fearne, Frank Wolley and Wilfred Rhodes. This was probably their best ever XI. They were almost unbeatable.
That had me confused for a minute. I think we're talking about the Aussie team who beat the English 5-0, rather than the English themselves. I wouldn't say that was England's best ever team, btw, although there were certainly some great names in it. Frank Woolley is a player I'd just have loved to have seen.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Difficult selections. Ithink I would go with

Jack Hobbs
Gordon Greenidge
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Graeme Pollock
Adam Gilchrist
Keith Miller
Wilfred Rhodes
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Glenn Mcgrath

Reserves
Barry Richards, Clive Lloyd, Ricky Ponting, Ray Lindwall, Mike Procter, Michael Holding

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That had me confused for a minute. I think we're talking about the Aussie team who beat the English 5-0, rather than the English themselves. I wouldn't say that was England's best ever team, btw, although there were certainly some great names in it. Frank Woolley is a player I'd just have loved to have seen.
Yeah would have to incline towards the 50s. Not all of them were at their peak but the side that played in that ashes winning test in 53 is pretty damn impressive. Australia had some ok players as well I guess.

Slifer

International Captain
Difficult selections. Ithink I would go with

Jack Hobbs
Gordon Greenidge
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Graeme Pollock
Adam Gilchrist
Keith Miller
Wilfred Rhodes
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Glenn Mcgrath

Reserves
Barry Richards, Clive Lloyd, Ricky Ponting, Ray Lindwall, Mike Procter, Michael Holding
Pretty outstanding team that

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hobbs does qualify IIRC.
How? He didn't play for any of the five "contender" teams in your original post.

Oh, I've just realised you think the "Warwick Wonders" were the England team of 1920 and 1921. No, Warwick Armstrong led the Australian team to eight wins and two draws against England in those two series. You've got the country dominance the wrong way around. ;)

Last edited:

slowfinger

International Debutant
How? He didn't play for any of the five "contender" teams in your original post.

Oh, I've just realised you think the "Warwick Wonders" were the England team of 1920 and 1921. No, Warwick Armstrong led the Australian team to eight wins and two draws against England in those two series. You've got the country dominance the wrong way around. ;)
Oh shhhhp, yeah, sorry!