• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

PY

International Coach
Typical example of Aussie not able to take it back when responded in kind. You thing the stuff Ponting said was very respectful ?

Ponting has had a fight in the Bar and so did Hookes. And no Hookes was not murdered as you trying to portray here. He acted like a hoodlum,got into a fight.." former cricketer Wayne Phillips did corroborate that Hookes had been aggressive, and that when he was hit, he was in a compressed group that were still pushing and shoving, not standing alone and defenceless."..

As tasteless as Gavaskar's comments are I completely agree with his assessment that If they tried similar aggression in a bar they would be rewarded with equal aggression and I think Ponting has experienced that.
Didn't Gavaskar start this flipping sponge-bat duel?

To bring Hookes into it was pointless, he wasn't doing anything but stirring the pot with that example. Oh, and whatever way you look at it, Hookes was killed. Period. You can't argue that Ponting's scuffle and Hookes are remotely similar in terms of outcome.

What Ponting did wasn't an escalation of the argument, Gavaskar's second response was. I actually agreed with Sunil with some of his comments and thought Ponting's efforts were a pretty poor reposte but the Hookes thing is gutter trash from someone who should've grown up a little.

Oh and chuckled at:
Slow Love said:
Sunil Gavaskar, 57 (going on 90) vs Ricky Ponting 32 (going on 16).

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting has had a fight in the Bar and so did Hookes. And no Hookes was not murdered as you trying to portray here. He acted like a hoodlum,got into a fight.." former cricketer Wayne Phillips did corroborate that Hookes had been aggressive, and that when he was hit, he was in a compressed group that were still pushing and shoving, not standing alone and defenceless."..
What's that got to do with anything? It's entirely possible that Hookes provoked what happened, but he was still violently killed (if you prefer that to murder), and he was dear to Australian cricket. Making light of his death and implying that it's related to Australia's on-field behaviour is utterly indefensible.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's that got to do with anything? It's entirely possible that Hookes provoked what happened, but he was still violently killed (if you prefer that to murder), and he was dear to Australian cricket. Making light of his death and implying that it's related to Australia's on-field behaviour is utterly indefensible.
Gives a pretty sad insight into his character really

Cops a bad decision and a mouthful in Melbourne and totally loses the plot

Ponting has the audacity to speak back here and same result

It's just a shame that he's not employed by the Packers - Sunny would be filing for unemployment benefits as we speak

telsor

U19 12th Man
( stuff deleted )
Unfortunately, the roots behind the behaviour of the Nixons, etc of this world can be directly traced to 2 sources:

2. weak umpires and other figures of authority.

And yet people keep wanting to diminish their authority with 101 replays and handing over their powers to computers/3rd umpires. Case by case, those moves might make sense, but it can't be denied that it diminishes the umpires authority and it would be better for the game if players AND SUPPORTERS just accepted the umpires decision as final.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Regarding Hookes...

He played in (roughly) the same era gavaskar did, so either he sledged then ( and thus, sunil was wrong ), or it's a meaningless and mean example. Sad fact is, it's probably both.

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sunil is a jealous, bitter, pathetic excuse for an ICC Official. What'll happen if people other than Ponting start saying (effectively) that he's full of crap? Will he walk out of the West Indies like he walked off the MCG? The woman needs to grow up. He's talking absolute crap.

C_C

International Captain
Sunil is a jealous, bitter, pathetic excuse for an ICC Official
Sunil has nothing to be jealous about towards Ponting- he was a far greater batsman than Punter. His points are valid.

The woman needs to grow up
Can you keep the ***ism confined inside your own home please ??

C_C

International Captain
Cops a bad decision and a mouthful in Melbourne and totally loses the plot
Its called 'straw that broke the camel's back'. The kind of abuse Aussies throw in the middle, the other sides show remarkable restraint as it is. If it were me, i'd have physically injured some of the Aussies if they dared to speak to me in such fashion.

Scmods

Sunil has nothing to be jealous about towards Ponting- he was a far greater batsman than Punter. His points are valid.
He's jealous of the Australians success. And his points are about as valid as a soccer ball on a cricket pitch.

C_C

International Captain
And his points are about as valid as a soccer ball on a cricket pitch.
You can repeat that as many times as you want but it still wont become true.

Scmods

You can repeat that as many times as you want but it still wont become true.
Let me put it this way. Our players are accused of sledging and playing tough cricket on the field, and we are called bad sports, bad winners etc. Yet when the English did THE EXACT SAME THING that we did during the 2005 Ashes, they were applauded for their tough, no holds barred style of play. When Paul Collingwood stood up to Hayden, he was praised for not backing down. Duncan Fletcher baiting Ponting in the media, as Ponting is doing presently to Sunil, he was praised for being a master tactician.

Sunil, and the bulk of the entire cricketing world, can be accused of blatant hypocritscy and double standards. Fact is most people are sick of us winning all the time and are whinging about the fact that our fall is going much slower than the rest of the world anticipated.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its called 'straw that broke the camel's back'. The kind of abuse Aussies throw in the middle, the other sides show remarkable restraint as it is. If it were me, i'd have physically injured some of the Aussies if they dared to speak to me in such fashion.
In which case, the Australians would probably win the game of cricket because you'd be hell-bent on revenge whilst they'd still be concentrating on the task at hand.

Ask yourself why sledging is an integral part of the game (and it is, whether you like to believe it or not).

1. Intimidation/desire to throw your opponent off their game - the vast majority of cricketers, especially test players, fall into this category

2. Retaliation - in which case, 1 has probably worked

3. Inferiority complex - in which case, it's unlikely to make up for your your other mental failings

4. A belief that that is how the game is played - in my experience, this is far more prevalent at lower levels

5. Because the sledger is a @#$$% - always a possibility, no matter what the level.

The bottom line is that you'll never stamp it out and a player's best response is to be successful.

Taking your team off the field is not the way to achieve it because then the sledger wins and motivates them to continue the practice.

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Let me put it this way. Our players are accused of sledging and playing tough cricket on the field, and we are called bad sports, bad winners etc. Yet when the English did THE EXACT SAME THING that we did during the 2005 Ashes, they were applauded for their tough, no holds barred style of play. When Paul Collingwood stood up to Hayden, he was praised for not backing down. Duncan Fletcher baiting Ponting in the media, as Ponting is doing presently to Sunil, he was praised for being a master tactician.

Sunil, and the bulk of the entire cricketing world, can be accused of blatant hypocritscy and double standards. Fact is most people are sick of us winning all the time and are whinging about the fact that our fall is going much slower than the rest of the world anticipated.
What you are not getting is that most of us neutrals have watched australian cricketers dish crap to opponants/officials, sometimes wonder how they react when they get a taste of their own medicene ...... not that it makes it right. I for one would prefer if laws and regulations are created and uniformally enforced so all these "hotheads" pay for their crude offensive behaviour dearly.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mate there's a difference between disrespect and being killed, don't you think? It was all petty sniping until he dished that out. It's bloody appalling, frankly.
Are you suggesting that Hookes was only disrespecting the bouncers ? Hookes was invloved in brawl which was started by him and his group. I really have no sympathy and respect for such an act.

What is bloody appalling is that Aussies continue to attack Sunny for pointing the obvious. Are you guys saying that Aussie players are a bunch of saints ? Or it would have been okay with aussie folks on this forum had some one else(say Kapildev) made those comments ?

Scmods

What you are not getting is that most of us neutrals have watched australian cricketers dish crap to opponants/officials, sometimes wonder how they react when they get a taste of their own medicene ...... not that it makes it right. I for one would prefer if laws and regulations are created and uniformally enforced so all these "hotheads" pay for their crude offensive behaviour dearly.
Well it's just interesting the different reactions that they get. You wonder how we'd react because we've been so good for so long. And when an official (Sunil) gives us crap, Ponting simply fires back and Gavaskar (yet again) whinges about an Australian giving him well justified crap.

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Well it's just interesting the different reactions that they get. You wonder how we'd react because we've been so good for so long. And when an official (Sunil) gives us crap, Ponting simply fires back and Gavaskar (yet again) whinges about an Australian giving him well justified crap.
What you are doing is confusing the "Issue" with individuals. Neither Ponting or Gavaskar is considered Paragons of society.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So you want me to feel sorry for Hookes for getting into a brawl which unfortunately cost him his life. Call me insensitive or whatever, but Sorry Hookes is no martyr in my book, as it has been made out since his death. He acted like a hoodlum and ended up on the receiving end. And no he was not killed, he was punched in self defense and his head hit the road which was the reason for his death.

Sunny may be making light of his death and that is definately distasteful but it's a fact that If Ricky and his boys tried the kind of arrogance and aggression they show on the cricket field, in a bar, they would not get away it.

And I didn't see you anywhere on this forum when Ricky was attacking Sunny, Indian team and what not, but you jump when Sunny retorts ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If I were on the cricket field, I'd do whatever it takes to win. If I have to insult your mother/wife/daughter/son to get inside your head and get your wicket, its fair game for me.

Until the Hookes' comment, I thought Gavaskar was wrong. Now with the Hookes' comment, Gavaskar is wrong and is an absolute dire person. He needs to apologize immediately to Hookes' family and in public. There was no rational need to do that to someone. Whether he was loved in Australia or not, or or whether it was fight or self defense is beside the point. You can't use someone's death in your little battle of words. Completely crossing the line.