• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I think it was probably just a terrible choice of words on Gavaskar's part. Seems like the quote was taken directly from a verbal comment, so it could just be poor phrasing.

If he was genuinely implying what came across it's a hell of a lot worse than anything Ponting has done, to say the least. I'm not overly fond of Hookes, either. It's just utterly tasteless and uncalled for, especially from a guy who is having a go at others for their uncouth behaviour.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I liked Hookes (as much as you can like an international cricket player you don't actually know) - he was my favorite player when I was growing up, I idolised him. My dad remembered and called me when he heard the news of his death on the radio.

pup11

International Coach
This is really pathetic stuff on Gavaskar's part to drag the Late David Hookes into all this, give me a break what has Hookes got to do with Aussie on-field behaviour.

Mentioning bar-brawls and other stuff outside the cricketing field shows that Gavaskar's comments are just meant to distract aussies off their WC campaign, because what he is saying atm hardly makes any sense.

pup11

International Coach
Gavaskar's comments are sick to say the least what does he mean by "the aussies would be whacked at a bar if they behave anything like they do on-field there" now is he wishing to see the aussie players whacked and killed in bars.

And how many bars have he been to with the Australian team, to know how they behave in a bar??

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
First of all, I disagree with Gavaskar. I think you ought to be allowed to sledge as much as you want, as long as you win, I don't care.

EDIT: Oh wait, nevermind, I should read the WHOLE article. Mentioning Hookes is completely unacceptable and totally tasteless and classless. What a moron.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's more the comment about Hookes that is problematic. The rest is at worst a bit over the top, but the Hookes thing is simply atrocious. The guy was more or less murdered, and was extremely popular in Australian cricket, and to make light of his death as an example of what happens to people who behave like Australian cricketers in a bar is totally out of line.

You'd hope that's not how he meant it, but that's certainly how it came across.

edit: Haha, SS edited.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's more the comment about Hookes that is problematic. The rest is at worst a bit over the top, but the Hookes thing is simply atrocious. The guy was more or less murdered, and was extremely popular in Australian cricket, and to make light of his death as an example of what happens to people who behave like Australian cricketers in a bar is totally out of line.

Yea, I didn't see the Hookes' thing...the rest I have no problem with. But to use someone's death like that just completely makes him lose all credibility in my eyes. I wish there was a real life ignore list. Very ironic that he was accusing the Aussies of being classless.

Evermind

International Debutant
It is stupid and insensitive to bring up the Hookes case.

However, Gavaskar's initial point was valid. I find it amusing how people on this online forum are speculating about the on-field behaviour of WI and AUS teams - someone with 34 centuries would know better, don't you think, having actually been there on the pitch? From what I see, personal abuse is something the Australians have very much taken to in the recent years, and it's not only ugly and ungentlemanly but also reeks of witlessness.

Ponting's reply to the original comment was irrelevant, rude, and totally WTF. No one is talking about winning and losing games here: someone should teach him basic comprehension of the written paragraph.

RhyZa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Originally Posted by Gavaskar
Will we ever get the likes of Sir Garfield Sobers and GR Viswanath again? Garry Sobers not only indicated more than once to umpires that he had caught the ball on the bounce but also declared his innings closed once in a Test match in spite of having two of his main bowlers injured and left a challenging target for England to get, all Garry wanted was to enliven a dead series.

GR Viswanath recalled Bob Taylor when he was given out by the unpire. Vishy, who was at first slip, immediately realised that Bob's bat had brushed the pads, which had misled the umpire into giving him out caught behind. Vishy walked up to the umpire and politely withdrew the appeal. The match was delicately poised then and the subsequent partnership between Ian Botham and Bob Taylor took England to a winning position. India lost the Test, but Vishy is remembered for that.

Today, thanks to the win-at-all-costs theory, appeals are made even though the fielders know that the batsman is not out. There is the other side, of course, where a batsman knows he is out but stays put and rubs some other part of his body if it's an appeal for a catch or shows his bat if there's an appeal for lbw. With the game being marketed aggressively by TV, the rewards have become high, and rightly so, but it has to a great extent taken away from the Spirit of the Game, where bowlers applauded a good shot and batsmen acknowledged with a nod a good delivery from a bowler who beat them. While today, in order not to give any psychological advantage to the opposition, there's hardly any applause from the fielding side when a batsman reaches a fifty or a century.

It's hard to understand how applauding concedes any advantage to the batsman, but we see it increasingly where, barring the odd fielder, the others feign total ignorance of the batsman reaching a landmark.

This is in stark contrast to my first series in the West Indies, where one could sit with the greats like Garry Sobers, Rohan Kanhai and Lance Gibbs at the end of a day's play and ask them about batting and how to improve. They were more than happy to give good sound advice, even though it was to an opponent and could be used against them the next day to their team's detriment. Rohan Kanhai occasionally grunted his disapproval from first slip if I played a loose shot. It wasn't that these great cricketers did not want their team to win. It was just the fact that they had supreme confidence in their own ability and believed that helping an opponent only produced good cricket and was good for the game.

How about the England team under Norman Yardley raising three cheers for Don Bradman when he came out to play his last Test innings? Mind you, if the England players knew that such gestures brought tears to the great man's eyes and got him bowled for a duck, then they would have done it every innings!

Such a gesture is unthinkable today where the opponents hardly greet each other and if there's anything to say it's invariably not very pleasant. The thinking is that with the stakes being so high, any friendly overture takes away from the competitiveness of the player.

Now I have heard it being said that whenever there's been needle in a match, words have been exchanged. That may be true, but what was banter in days gone by - and which was enjoyed by everyone, including the recipient of it - today has degenerated to downright personal abuse, and which is why the Spirit of Cricket had to be written.

They say sledging has always been part of the game, but is that true? I am not so sure. I played more than one Test match for my country with and against bowlers who took hundreds of wickets and there was hardly a word uttered in anger on the field. Yes, towards the end of my career I did get referred to a couple of times by a part of the female anatomy and, more than anger, it saddened me to hear that. In fact, one of those instances led to the most regrettable incident of my career, when I almost forfeited a game by asking my fellow opener to walk off with me. I was given out lbw in spite of getting a thick inside edge to the ball and, though I showed my disappointment, I was going back to the pavilion and would have ended up like all disappointed batsmen do - by throwing my bat or screaming myself hoarse in the privacy of the dressing room. But as I had gone about fifteen or so yards towards the pavilion I heard the abuse which made me explode and take that stupid action of asking my partner to walk off with me. Fortunately, the manager of the team stopped my partner from crossing the boundary and so we didn't forfeit the game but went on to win it. That and another time later on are the only instances that I have come across sledging and it's simply distasteful.

Javed Miandad was another with a sharp sense of humour. In fact, he was one of those rare species of batsmen who talked to the bowlers. Remember, I said "talked" and not "talked back". He would do anything to get under the skin of the bowlers and work it to his advantage. In a Test match at Bangalore, he was batting against Dilip Doshi, who was one of the hardest bowlers to hit. Javed had tried everything - the drive, the cut, the sweep and even going down the pitch to the crafty left arm spinner - but he simply wasn't able to get him away. Suddenly, in the middle of a fresh over, Javed started asking Dilip his room number.

This went on every other ball and even when he was at the non-striker's end. After some time, Doshi, who was making a comeback to the side, and so was concentrating hard on his bowling, couldn't take it anymore and exasperatedly asked him why he wanted his room number - to which Javed replied "Because I want to hit you for a six in your room". Now those who have been to Bangalore - and know how far the hotel is from the ground - know what an impossibility it was. Yet it worked: Doshi, anticipating Javed to give him the rush down the wicket, bowled it short, and Javed gleefully pulled it to the boundary and added for good measure that he was bowling from the wrong end, else he would make good on his promise.

Nobody minds such banter: in fact, it adds to the stories of the game. But all this banter was always a small part of the game and happened may be a couple of the times during five days of cricket and not just every other over, as is happening today.

Today, though, there is a Code of Conduct, the verbal bouncers go on pretty much unchecked and, unless something is done quickly done about it, the good name of the game that we all know will be mud. Just look at any school games anywhere in the world and we will see bowlers having a go at the batsman. They see it on TV from their heroes and believe that it is a part of the game, and so indulge in it. Here it is crucial for the coaches to step in and tell them, while the kids are at an impressionable age, that this is wrong and cricket has been played for years without indulging in personal abuse. Maybe we should tell TV producers that, just like they don't show any of the streakers at the ground anymore, they should not show close-ups of players verbalising each other. With the cameras being so good it is easy to lip-read and kids can see that it is not the bible nor the koran nor the geeta which is being quoted on the field. The sad part is that very little is being done about it. If a player even so much as glares at the umpire or stays a micro-second longer at the crease after being given out, he is hauled up and in trouble. If there is protection for the umpire from the players, why not protection to players from abusive players?

They say there is so much money in the game and that is what makes players resort to these tactics to win at all costs and forget good manners - but there is more money in other sports like golf and tennis but, thanks to tough laws, one does not find mis-behaviour or bad language there. There is today simply no such things as a silence zone in the game, right down to the school encounter. If it had enhanced the game, then it would had been welcomed - but it hasn't and, even at the highest level, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. The problem also is mainly due to the fact that those at the receiving end of the abuse feel that they will be called wimps if they report it to the umpires or the match referee. In fact, by not reporting it, they are accessories to the "crime", if one is allowed to call it that. Their favourite defence is "Let's what has happened on the field stay there" - even if it is wrong and bad for the image of the game. Imagine if a murderer were to say that since murder was committed in the house, he should be allowed to walk the streets free.

Lest I sound pessimistic, let me say that out of a possible 150 Test cricketers from ten Test-playing countries, there are perhaps not even fifteen who indulge in this verbal abuse and intimidation, but unfortunately most of these belong to a champion side and it makes others believe that it's the only way to play winning cricket. Did Bradman's all-conquering side of 1948 practise these tactics? I don't know, though I know for certain that Clive Lloyd's champions of the 1970s and 1980s never uttered a word on the field to an opponent. A glare and raised eye brow were enough to put the scare in to you!

Still, while there is life there is hope, and to see both the England and South African teams take the field on the first day of the Test last week sporting black armbands, to mourn the passing away of Jacques Kallis's father, is enough to show that there are people within the game who understand human emotions and who believe that sharing in a fellow player's grief does not take away anything from their competitiveness but does help to lessen the grief.

As an Indian, it's amazing that someone who can write such balanced articulate, well-thought out pieces like the above, can also spew utterly stupid, tasteless remarks like the one he just did, or what was earlier purported to be written in his book. I guess intelligence and ignorance are not mutually exclusive when emotions are involved.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
If aussies personally abuse others then why haven't those players said anything about it, there is a huge difference between personal abuse and sledging(or mental disintegration) and if you are not good enough to face it then sit at home.

Every team does it today, and if scoring 34 test tons gives Gavaskar a licence to talk trash then Punter also has 34(or 33) test tons under his belt so whatever he has said should also be right?

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Every team does it today, and if scoring 34 test tons gives Gavaskar a licence to talk trash then Punter also has 34(or 33) test tons under his belt so whatever he has said should also be right?
I believe that his point was that the opinions of those that have posted in this thread are invalid because they haven't actually played test cricket, as opposed to Gavaskar.

Then he followed by expressing his own judgment, which showed a healthy disregard for the concept of irony.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Typical example of Aussie not able to take it back when responded in kind. You thing the stuff Ponting said was very respectful ?

Ponting has had a fight in the Bar and so did Hookes. And no Hookes was not murdered as you trying to portray here. He acted like a hoodlum,got into a fight.." former cricketer Wayne Phillips did corroborate that Hookes had been aggressive, and that when he was hit, he was in a compressed group that were still pushing and shoving, not standing alone and defenceless."..

As tasteless as Gavaskar's comments are I completely agree with his assessment that If they tried similar aggression in a bar they would be rewarded with equal aggression and I think Ponting has experienced that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha wow, this has totally gotten out of hand.

I think you can see why I put Gavaskar in the same bracket as other motor mouth idiots such as Ponting and Smith now Sanz, and if you can't, then you never will I guess. :)

C_C

International Captain
If aussies personally abuse others then why haven't those players said anything about it
Same reason why bullies don't get reported as much - nobody wants to look like a female genital part.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Typical of you to ignore the questions I posed and come up with a useless link.

So Let me ask again - If it wasn't the team strategy then why did Solkar, Patel batted pretty much the same way as Gavaskar did ? And secondly how is different from Sehwag throwing his bat away 150 times in his career ?
A medal to this man for attempting to bravely defend the indefensible

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol Gavaskar has fired back...gosh what a prick
looks like he just wants to get the last word in or something..

lol if those two met each other atm imagine the tension.. would there be any?
Yeah, Sunny v Punter - hand bags at 10 paces.....

Unfortunate that he saw fit to bring the Hookes thing into it - really scraping the barrel there imo.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Typical example of Aussie not able to take it back when responded in kind. You thing the stuff Ponting said was very respectful ?

As tasteless as Gavaskar's comments are I completely agree with his assessment that If they tried similar aggression in a bar they would be rewarded with equal aggression and I think Ponting has experienced that.
Mate there's a difference between disrespect and being killed, don't you think? It was all petty sniping until he dished that out. It's bloody appalling, frankly.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyhow, lastly, social: Ian Chappell talking about too much sledging wasn't really a case of pot, kettle, black, IMO - he freely made a comparison to himself where he held his behaviour accountable, but also, I think it was just a case of having had enough. The level, and type of sledging isn't equivalent at all times, and I believe the kind of incessant (which was the point Chappelli was making) chatter which characterises some in the contemporary game really IS just going too far and getting out of hand. And yes, having watched the game frequently since stump mikes have been in play, I would say that it has gotten worse and more incessant, so I think it's a fair observation. It probably just took seeing an opposition player do it to ram the point home. I wouldn't be surprised at all if by now, many Aussies haven't had enough of that in particular.
Chappell is, somewhat surprisingly at times, an articulate and accurate commentator on the game.

However, it is a bit rich to hear someone criticise another when the former presided over possibly the worst behaved team in history (at least where sledging is concerned).

Unfortunately, the roots behind the behaviour of the Nixons, etc of this world can be directly traced to 2 sources:

1. the Chappell era - where sledging first became an accepted and "publicised" (if u think Chappell invented it, then u have rocks in your head) part of a successful team's strategy; and

2. weak umpires and other figures of authority.

The fact that a previous generation has used it successfully and that umpires dont do enough about is all the encouragement some people need.