• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Gavaskar start this flipping sponge-bat duel?

To bring Hookes into it was pointless, he wasn't doing anything but stirring the pot with that example. Oh, and whatever way you look at it, Hookes was killed. Period. You can't argue that Ponting's scuffle and Hookes are remotely similar in terms of outcome.

What Ponting did wasn't an escalation of the argument, Gavaskar's second response was. I actually agreed with Sunil with some of his comments and thought Ponting's efforts were a pretty poor reposte but the Hookes thing is gutter trash from someone who should've grown up a little.

Oh and chuckled at:
Have you even read ponting's outburst to say that he didn't escalate the argument ? IMO he clearly did by attacking Sunny, Indian team's performance and what not. And may be Hookes was killed, but he was also responsible for his death and not the martyr as he has been made out since his death.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If I were on the cricket field, I'd do whatever it takes to win. If I have to insult your mother/wife/daughter/son to get inside your head and get your wicket, its fair game for me.
It's a good thing that you live in the United States of America and you dont have the remotest chance of playing International cricket. Next thing you should do is Stop following cricket and concentrate on watching ICE HOCKEY.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Gives a pretty sad insight into his character really

Cops a bad decision and a mouthful in Melbourne and totally loses the plot

Ponting has the audacity to speak back here and same result

It's just a shame that he's not employed by the Packers - Sunny would be filing for unemployment benefits as we speak
It's amazing how you can defend Punter and attack sunny in one post.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's a good thing that you live in the United States of America and you dont have the remotest chance of playing International cricket.
Even if I lived in India, I still wouldn't have the remotest chance of playing international cricket. Regardless, its still about winning. If you're the opposition's best bowler, and I can take you out of the game with a few choice words regarding your daughter, it would be ludicrous to not try and do that.

Sanz said:
Next thing you should do is Stop following cricket and concentrate on watching ICE HOCKEY.
The former will never happen, but I do in fact follow the latter and it is irrelevant to this discussion. All sports come down to doing whatever is necessary to win, for yourself, and your team/fans/country.

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What you are doing is confusing the "Issue" with individuals. Neither Ponting or Gavaskar is considered Paragons of society.
Ricky Ponting is the captain of a Cricket Team. If anyone (ICC Offical or not) has a go at his team, he has the right to defend them. Gavaskar however is an official of the ICC, he shouldn't be going around taking potshots at teams he is jealous of over an issue he is clearly still bitter over.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why does everyone resort to personal attacks? Ignore them, debate the issue or don't debate at all. If I responded to every personal attack, I wouldn't do anything else on the forum.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scmods, for the benefit of the credibility of the sane Australian Public, please belt up. There's a difference between being a Passionate Australian Supporter, and a one-eyed git.

Our Cricket team are no bunch of Saints. That said, they aren't as closely related to the Devil as many of you are making them out be. To me it's quite sad that you're willing to attack attack attack the Australian team because they sledge, yet when confronted with the on-field misdemeamour records of players from other countries you brush it aside.

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Where have I called us saints? I'm simply pointing out that whenever we play tough we're criticised from everywhere, yet when the English did exactly the same during the 05 Ashes, they were praised.

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Ricky Ponting is the captain of a Cricket Team. If anyone (ICC Offical or not) has a go at his team, he has the right to defend them. Gavaskar however is an official of the ICC, he shouldn't be going around taking potshots at teams he is jealous of over an issue he is clearly still bitter over.
Read my post again !

social

Have you even read ponting's outburst to say that he didn't escalate the argument ? IMO he clearly did by attacking Sunny, Indian team's performance and what not. And may be Hookes was killed, but he was also responsible for his death and not the martyr as he has been made out since his death.
All Ponting did was point out the hypocrisy of Sunny's statements - "look after your own team because they're not travelling too well and, in any event, you're a fine one to talk when it comes to behaviour"

Gavaskar responds with reference to a dead cricketer

And you support him!

Unbelievable

If Ponting has half a brain (and the juy's still out on that one, I'm afraid), he should declare that Gavaskar's comments are beneath contempt and refuse to comment further

If Gavaskar has a shred of decency, he'll issue an immediate apology to the Hookes' family

Unfortunately, we'll probably see a continuation of the slanging match

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
All Ponting did was point out the hypocrisy of Sunny's statements - "look after your own team because they're not travelling too well and, in any event, you're a fine one to talk when it comes to behaviour"
Err I dont see any hypocrisy in Sunny's original comments, I totally agree with him and IMO he was one of the most well behaved cricketers on a cricket field except for once instance where he not only got a wrong decision but also a verbal abuse/taunt from an aussie player.

Gavaskar responds with reference to a dead cricketer

And you support him!

Unbelievable
You seem to suffering from selective dementia and that is not so unbelievable considering how you have conveniently missed (and continue to miss) some of the questions that are raised in this thread. Where have I endorsed his comments about Hookes death ? Did I not say that his comments were tasteles ? I will say it again His comments are tasteless but true.

If Ponting has half a brain (and the juy's still out on that one, I'm afraid), he should declare that Gavaskar's comments are beneath contempt and refuse to comment further

If Gavaskar has a shred of decency, he'll issue an immediate apology to the Hookes' family

Unfortunately, we'll probably see a continuation of the slanging match
Sorry, Ponting doesn't have a brain and most people who do not have an Aussie passport know it.

haroon510

International 12th Man
well at the end of the day the Aussies are the winners here lol hah. it is geting soo jucy and i am enjoying every bit of this. i can't wait what Ricky pointing has to say about this.

it seems to me that Sunil is saying this out of Jealousy or whatever personal issues he has with Aussies. i mean c'mon at first he said all these raciest comments about WI of 80s and 70s.

( "When I faced Holding, I received four bouncers in an over and a beamer which Holding pretended had slipped from his hand....To call a crowd 'a crowd in Jamaica is a misnomer. It should be called a mob. The way they shrieked and howled every time Holding bowled was positively horrible... All this proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that these people still belong to the jungles and forests instead of a civilised country".).

then to prove his point he is contradicting himself by saying this now

( "They [West Indies] did not abuse the opponents. They did not have anything to say to the opponents. When they were dominating world cricket the West Indians did not resort to personal abuse on the field, they just played the game hard, they were very tough competitors but there was nothing untoward in their behaviour towards their opponents".)

i mean c'mon this is a clear contradiction and if someone is contradicting himself, this always means that this person has baised opinion about something.

again i do agree with sunil to some existence. but what differs my agreement with him (sunil) is that he is being baised and i am not.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Years ago Navjot Singh Sidhu beat a 65 year old man to death and the so called civilzed world didn't utter a word, no one cared, Sidhu is a top notch celebrity, MP and what not. But had he been at the receiving end instead of that old man, he would have been declared a 'martyr' by now and how much he was loved in Punjab, there would have been Sidhu foundations all over, Media, Corporate world promoted Sidhuism and blah blah blah.

Hookes case was very similar and after his death, he has been claimed as some sort of martyr totally ignoring the fact that he was not only drunk but also partially responsible for starting the brawl. There is a huge marketting going around selling his death and that is much more disgusting than Gavaskar's comments.

social

Years ago Navjot Singh Sidhu beat a 65 year old man to death and the so called civilzed world didn't utter a word, no one cared, Sidhu is a top notch celebrity, MP and what not. But had he been at the receiving end instead of that old man, he would have been declared a 'martyr' by now and how much he was loved in Punjab, there would have been Sidhu foundations all over, Media, Corporate world promoted Sidhuism and blah blah blah.

Hookes case was very similar and after his death, he has been claimed as some sort of martyr totally ignoring the fact that he was not only drunk but also partially responsible for starting the brawl. There is a huge marketting going around selling his death and that is much more disgusting than Gavaskar's comments.
Hookes' life away from cricket was fully revealed in the months following his death

People mourned the passing of a man who contributed a great deal to Australian cricket and were appalled at the way his life ended in such a meaningless fashion. As a result, a foundation has been established that does invaluable charity work.

They did not mourn the passing of a serial womaniser, etc and people certainly did not condone his actions on that night

social

Err I dont see any hypocrisy in Sunny's original comments, I totally agree with him and IMO he was one of the most well behaved cricketers on a cricket field except for once instance where he not only got a wrong decision but also a verbal abuse/taunt from an aussie player.

You seem to suffering from selective dementia and that is not so unbelievable considering how you have conveniently missed (and continue to miss) some of the questions that are raised in this thread. Where have I endorsed his comments about Hookes death ? Did I not say that his comments were tasteles ? I will say it again His comments are tasteless but true.

Sorry, Ponting doesn't have a brain and most people who do not have an Aussie passport know it.
Firstly, the hypocrisy can be found in your support of Gavaskar

"IMO he was one of the most well behaved cricketers on a cricket field except ......."

For it not to be hypocritical, there would be no exceptions, no ifs, buts or maybes

Secondly, you support Gavaskar claims re Hookes by stating that they are true.

Utter nonsense

Hookes got into a bar fight because he went to the aid of a woman from his group who was being man-handled by a bouncer as a result of his group's refusal to leave a pub at closing time.

It's speaks more about his quality as a husband etc that he was out with a girlfriend whilst drunk that it does about his on-field behaviour of many years ago.

As to how it could be used in support of a claim as to the rights and wrongs of a cricket team's behaviour on the field is a total mystery to all bar you and Mr Gavaskar it would seem

Last edited:

Natman20

International Debutant
Gavaskar vs. Ponting. Not a good competition. They are both as bad at yarning about nothing as each other.

biased indian

International Coach
What's that got to do with anything? It's entirely possible that Hookes provoked what happened, but he was still violently killed (if you prefer that to murder), and he was dear to Australian cricket. Making light of his death and implying that it's related to Australia's on-field behaviour is utterly indefensible.
to be true i didnt also like the fact david hookes death was put into this..

Sunny should have cited the two examples mentioned in this link to ponting :)

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/story/80457.html