• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sports in which skill levels have increased the most

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Some advances are due to changing technology. Because of these advances there are huge improvements in javelin and pole vault.

Others that are changes in attitudes and beleif in what is in possible - darts, gymnastics pro-wrestling,MMA and clearly Sevens.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i hear social skills are rapidly deteriorating in sports such as chess and scrabble

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Some advances are due to changing technology. Because of these advances there are huge improvements in javelin and pole vault.

Others that are changes in attitudes and beleif in what is in possible - darts, gymnastics pro-wrestling,MMA and clearly Sevens.
Interesting.

What exactly where you thinking of here?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting.

What exactly where you thinking of here?
I think it is one sport where the vast majority of old bouts look really dated - not because of the gimmicks but what is done in the ring. Some may argue that current wrestlers are not technically as good but there is no doubting that the high spots are now on a different level. Also I would question the technical aspect as in the WWF Vinces' fetish for big men meant a lot of wrestlers were pretty **** and limited - far more than now even if we count Khali.

I wouldnt debate that theatre, drama or story telling are now better. They are subjective and clearly a lot of people prefer pre-PG era. However, the actual wrestling abilities have, IMO, improved considerably.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Good observation. I quite agree.

You don't even have to go particularly far back to see a difference in the quality of matches either. As was being discussed in the wrestling thread the other day, you only have to go back about 15 years to see that the lower cards on PPV events were filled with dross. These days every PPV is a supercard in comparison.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Football is a niche sport in Australia and AFL is one of the top 10 sporting codes (i.e. any sport) in the world

Can you imagine if the Socceroos had the first, rather than 4th/5th, choice of male athletes in Oz?

Sorry ladies but most established footballing countries would be also-rans because they would suddenly be confronted by far bigger athletes with equal talent

Not hard to work out the result
Yea well if the best American athletes went into soccer, we'd be the favorites too...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Good observation. I quite agree.

You don't even have to go particularly far back to see a difference in the quality of matches either. As was being discussed in the wrestling thread the other day, you only have to go back about 15 years to see that the lower cards on PPV events were filled with dross. These days every PPV is a supercard in comparison.
Selling isnt what it was though

Attachments

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea well if the best American athletes went into soccer, we'd be the favorites too...
Of course

US has the best sportsmen in the world so they would undoubtedly be a major force

Can you imagine the impact that huge, elite athletes with incredible aerobic capacity and amazing co-ordination (e.g. LeBron James and Buddy Franklin) would have had on their country's football if they had been trained in that sport from age 6?

Sport would be revolutionized

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon if you trained every single Indian cricketer from birth to play soccer I think we wouldn't qualify for the qualifiers.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Of course

US has the best sportsmen in the world so they would undoubtedly be a major force

Can you imagine the impact that huge, elite athletes with incredible aerobic capacity and amazing co-ordination (e.g. LeBron James and Buddy Franklin) would have had on their country's football if they had been trained in that sport from age 6?

Sport would be revolutionized
Can't quite tell if trolling