• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Sachin Retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Even aside from the obvious point that no Indian selector is going to want to be perceived as having Sachin's scalp hanging from his belt, he's still patently in the best six batsmen in India.

The 100 100s thing gets on my **** tho. It's a completely meaningless and made up milestone. When have statisticians ever added ODI & test centuries together?
I honestly have no problem with that statistic. 100 international centuries is something no one else has been close to achieving and as you step into uncharted territory you do create new milestones.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBF, ODIs weren't really been played all that often before the mid eighties so obviously such a stat wouldn't exist. As much as I hate counting ODI and Test runs as equals, I've heard commentators/statisticians say 'international runs' and 'international centuries' quite often (and they just take the aggregate).
Funnily enough, you will find it was mostly started when Sunny G was talking about Sachin T.

I willl believe it means something when they add up T20, Test and ODI hundreds for the next player who gets somewhere near.

But international 100s are still international 100s. And I think the fact that he is gonna get more than 50 100s in each format is the REAL big deal. 20 years and all these 100s and just the simple ability that he is good enough to score 100s in tests AND ODIs after all these years are the real awesome things about him right now.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Lol @ the idea that anyone who has had the 2010 that Sachin has had should retire simply due to one bad series in 2011.
This. Big deal that he average 34 in any one series.

Can't believe people are taking this thread seriously.:laugh: Guess shows the pressure's of being Sachin.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
It's interesting isn't it, because the last time Sachin failed throughout a test series was back in 08 in SL, and that series we also lost. In fact we failed as a whole batting unit (bar Sehwag/Gambhir in SL and Dravid in Eng) in that series also, much like the recent England series.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It's interesting isn't it, because the last time Sachin failed throughout a test series was back in 08 in SL, and that series we also lost. In fact we failed as a whole batting unit (bar Sehwag/Gambhir in SL and Dravid in Eng) in that series also, much like the recent England series.
Actually the performance of the batting unit in England and South Africa when compared wasn't that hugely different in terms of averages. Sachin was the main man in South Africa while Dravid was in England. Though the timing of the runs was way better in SA and then was complemented in the last 2 tests by bowlers with Zaheer coming back and the rest stepping up.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually the performance of the batting unit in England and South Africa when compared wasn't that hugely different in terms of averages. Sachin was the main man in South Africa while Dravid was in England. Though the timing of the runs was way better in SA and then was complemented in the last 2 tests by bowlers with Zaheer coming back and the rest stepping up.
Yeah but we didn't fail as a collective batting unit in SA, Laxman, Sach, Dhoni, GG all contributed through the series, in the SL tour our whole middle order failed pretty much all the time. And in England the same minus Dravid.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
and NZ at home in 2010 he was going for the coveted 50th hundred and what was supposed to be an easy hundred turned into an overall bad tour. then he managed to score in in an absolutely hopeless cause in SA.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Be a bit of a git if he and Ponting go within a few months of each other. Despite their poor form of late that is a hell of a hole to fill in cricket in general.
Bigger holes have occurred due to test cricket retirements. The one that Gatting left behind was massive.

smash84

The Tiger King
Even aside from the obvious point that no Indian selector is going to want to be perceived as having Sachin's scalp hanging from his belt, he's still patently in the best six batsmen in India.

The 100 100s thing gets on my **** tho. It's a completely meaningless and made up milestone. When have statisticians ever added ODI & test centuries together?[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nicks

Banned
He is good no doubt...lets not say that..

He is played well, let him decide when to retire, Sincerely hope he takes a decision well in time instead of waiting to be thrown out...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha there's no way in hell that Tendulkar will be legitimately and conclusively not one of the best six batsmen in India before he hits another hundred, IMO.
Ummm, hence why I said "if his performances do genuinely decline", please read the whole post....cheers

karan316

State Vice-Captain
He is averaging 46 this year even though he is struggling,
just 1 bad series and people start questioning him, its just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.