• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Ricky Ponting cop a ban?

What should Ponting's punishment be?

• Total voters

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting should be banned straightaway. Bill Lawrie came the closest to calling it what it was...rest played it safe and diplomatic... but it is this sort of behaviour that allows Ponting to behave like that on the field and get away with it. He has done this before..pointing fingers and getting away..and he will most likely get away this time aswell

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I sadly think that Brumby's prediction is not cynical but not pragmatic. In relation to the series outcome, obviously Ponting is the kind of player who can turn it round anytime but I'm not remotely worried about whether he does or does not play at Sydney. I just think he shouldn't be allowed to play there.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I voted fine & suspension...but I only really went for the suspension so we could get a new face in for Sydney.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Chris Broad is not the match referee ,so he could get a ban this time.

Though will that be a bad thing for Australia,i am not sure.

Spark

Global Moderator
Let's put it this way - I wouldn't be complaining very loudly if he did.

Utterly incomprehensible passage, that.

pskov

International 12th Man
Originally voted just a fine, but after watching Sky replay the incident in full from start to finish, including going over to Tony Hill after he'd got fed up with Dar, I think it deserves a suspension.

He also has 4 previous citations for dissent, not sure if that will factor into any punishment or not.

andyc

Reckon that if CA is starting to have thoughts about giving Ricky a tap on the shoulder, this could well provide the impetus for them. Yesterday I would've said that he'd be playing on and captaining after the Ashes for sure, but given that he's averaging 15, is about to lose the Ashes at home, and for the third time overall, and has now just made a dick of himself in front of 70,000 at the MCG, the bloke must be on pretty thin ice.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sutherland was surprisingly coy about the matter on Grandstand today. Basically just said "well that's a matter for the selectors".

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sutherland was surprisingly coy about the matter on Grandstand today. Basically just said "well that's a matter for the selectors".
So he should be. He's right to keep himself out of any speculation on selections.

fredfertang

Good to see the bloke cares so much tbh - he's got plenty of mitigation given the course the match has taken - he ought to apologise to the umpires and that should be the end of it

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good to see the bloke cares so much tbh - he's got plenty of mitigation given the course the match has taken - he ought to apologise to the umpires and that should be the end of it
Not sure if you're being ironic or not, Mr f...? :unsure:

Maybe I'm getting sanctimonious in my old age but I thought it was indefensible myself. To my way of thinking if the technology supports the umpire (and it seemed to more or less conclusively) haranging the chap just seems like petulance and shouldn't have any place in cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not to mention that Dar didn't actually have anything to do with anything except the original not-out call, which was referred anyway.

Agreed with the sentiment that it's basically inexcusable and should be punished.