• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shopping for a new coach after the World Cup

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
WI are comfortably the worst of the major playing nations and an away victory over them only garnered headlines because India's record is so appalling in this area
Thats my point. It *IS* appalling. We even lost in Zimbabwe in 2001. As an Australian, I do not know if you fully realize the significance of India winning anywhere away from the subcontinent.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thats my point. It *IS* appalling. We even lost in Zimbabwe in 2001. As an Australian, I do not know if you fully realize the significance of India winning anywhere away from the subcontinent.
Given India's lack of away success, the WI tour was seen in some quarters as a triumph

That being the case, the home failures vs Eng, vs Pak and in the Champions Trophy should be given similar weight

Likewise, the deterioration in Pathan's form (largely due to technical problems IMO) and the continued failure of Indian batsmen on wickets with any semblance of bounce really doesnt paint a great picture of the Indian coaching hierarchy.

Chappell, as much as I loved him as a batsman, doesnt have a stellar rep as a coach (I'd say India hired him because of his playing CV and stature in the game) and IMO will only survive with a draw in the current series and/or a half reasonable showing at the WC

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
social said:
Given India's lack of away success, the WI tour was seen in some quarters as a triumph
Some? We couldn't even win in Zimbabwe in 2001. "Lack of Success" is very generous.

Social said:
That being the case, the home failures vs Eng, vs Pak
Yup. But the biggest thing in India has been the lack of away successes. If thats starting to turn around, then its a huge thing in favor of Chappell.

Social said:
Likewise, the deterioration in Pathan's form (largely due to technical problems IMO) and the continued failure of Indian batsmen on wickets with any semblance of bounce really doesnt paint a great picture of the Indian coaching hierarchy.
But if you blame Pathan's downfall on coaching, then you also need to give credit for the success of Munaf and Sreesanth. And as for Indian batting, they've always had those problems. The difference is we're now winning despite those problems instead of losing because of them.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
LOL @ everything that happened in this thread while I was asleep. Two kids bitch-fighting with SS, a third butting in and Neil getting involved.
As if it wasn't enough, Social comes in and lays the smackdown. :p

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL @ everything that happened in this thread while I was asleep. Two kids bitch-fighting with SS, a third butting in and Neil getting involved.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wait so the two kids are suppose to be me and Dravid? Who are you referring to as third, Phoenix or Fusion?

viktor

State Vice-Captain
If it mattered compared to their test record, I might just do that.
Don't be prick, SS. The best team in the world is the best in both forms of the game. You cannot neglect India's performance in ODIs just because they won a Test in WI.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Post reported for implying I'm only butting in and not laying down the smackdown! It's obvious that in fact it was ME who layed down the law. Ok now that that's taken care off, I'm off to find the next argument I can interfere in.

adharcric

International Coach
Post reported for implying I'm only butting in and not laying down the smackdown! It's obvious that in fact it was ME who layed down the law. Ok now that that's taken care off, I'm off to find the next argument I can interfere in.
Actually, PhoenixFire was the kid butting in. Then again, that pretty much describes you too. Do what you can. :p

R_D

International Debutant
Did we, really? We lost before and after the last WC. We made a run in WC and do you know why? Because the pitches in SA were tailor made for Indian cricket team. I don't know why it was but thats just what happened. LOL @ India getting anywhere if they had the pitches that we played on this tour.
You say alot of ridiculous thing alot of the times mate and but this.
Can you explain to me how they were tailor made for india?... i'm just interested.
India weren't even supposed to get anywhere near the final in the world cup... india were smashed by NZ in NZand nonone really rated the indian seam attack. They struggled against some club side and against holland as well and than got smashed by the aussies so they were expected to not even get to semi-final.
So I assume you might be on about pitches being flat, even thou they were still there was still good bounce in the pitch and india were suppose to struggle. Alot of the batsman did.. they got to the final back of Sachin's knocks and great bowling performances by Srinath, Zaheer and Nehra.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Actually, PhoenixFire was the kid butting in. Then again, that pretty much describes you too. Do what you can. :p
Dammit I was so hoping you were referring to me as a "kid". Will hit the big 3-0 this year. Nice to hang on to delusions you know.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
You know SS, my boy, you really do have a penchant for taking the extreme position on EVERYTHING. We get it, Test cricket is the more important form of the game. I doubt many knowledgeable cricket fans will disagree with that. But to relegate ODI's as "dumbass cricket" is frankly asinine. ODI's are ALSO an important part of the game. It's not just important to dumbass fans, but to the players as well. So stop being an elitist to try to prove your point. It makes you look ignorant.

Incidently, I agree with your point about Chappell. I think he's done a terrific job for India and it would be harsh for him to be fired on the basis of a bad WC performance. And if he is, and assuming that Woolmer chooses not to return, I hope Pakistan pursue him aggresively for their team.
Afridi for me.

James

Cricket Web Owner
This internet forum is an English forum. COPPA Internet rules state that you must not be under 13 to sign up for an Internet forum. Standard reading age tests in both the USA and UK level out at 12. This forum is not aimed at children, it is aimed at intelligent adults and as such the majority of posts reflect that.
I'd like to make it publicly known that this does not in anyway represent the Cricket Web forum.

The forum has and always will be open to people of all ages and backgrounds and it is understood that some members written English may not be at the level of others. Anyone who is willing to post according to the forum rules is welcome.

Neil has been spoken to outside of the forums about this matter and I have sent an apology email to forum member "Dravid".

Any further discussions on this should be directed to me via email.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking at comments about the choice of coach for India, I'd say Greg's doing a decent job. He's done a very good job in the Test matches the Indians have played. Not too long ago, they were the toast of the nation in ODI's before they ended up being toast. You can't blame the coach when:
  • Your choice of ODI strike seamer is a mediocre, pie-throwing dwarf and far removed from the McGraths and Donalds who actually win tournaments.
  • The Chairman of Selectors has a very regressive attitude and is fighting a proxy war with the coach.
  • Your 'best' and 'most experienced' players never serve a purpose.
  • The fielding in ODI's is declining, and the BCCI is doing nothing to stop that.
  • Your REAL strike bowler, with REAL talent, is in dreadful form, and nobody's doing anything to help, not even the BCCI.
  • The regressive team management are reversing good ideas because of a few recent failures, with laughable alternatives, probably working against the coach.
Frankly, if you think Chappell should be given marching orders, one may ask why Vengsarkar should stay or why the team doesn't need a bowling consultant or (more so) fielding coach.