• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shopping for a new coach after the World Cup

Dravid

International Captain
And I suppose that would include firing the coach that led us to historic victories. Makes sense.
No that would include the coach that only got success in form of the game this year. Again as I said before I would consider his contract looking at how the world cup goes

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
This really is a baseless arguement.

India will continue to win Test series
India will win World Cup
India will keep Chappell

Period.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And I wonder who the coach was when we lost like 12-13 out of like 20
Um, you brought up the 18 successive run chases, and I reminded you that Chappell was part of most of them. So now you switch the line of attack because the facts aren't going your way.

And, for the record, I don't care if was 180 successive chases...if the test team was getting rubbished, I'd want him gone.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Um, you brought up the 18 successive run chases, and I reminded you that Chappell was part of most of them. So now you switch the line of attack because the facts aren't going your way.

And, for the record, I don't care if was 180 successive chases...if the test team was getting rubbished, I'd want him gone.
SS has got a point in the first paragraph and made you look stupid Dravid.

And SS I am sorry but you also made yourself look stupid with the second point.

And I look even stupider making this comment.

Dravid

International Captain

Yes, they did get 18 chases...then what did he do.. He ruined a future great bowler and turned him into a batsman. Is that what a coach is supposed to do?

He turned a ODI team that chased 18 straight targets, into a team that can barely defend or chase.

And for the record, I don't care if India win a series in Australia, and then lose every single ODI match, I would still want him out for ruining the team in one form of the game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, they did get 18 chases...then what did he do.. He ruined a future great bowler and turned him into a batsman. Is that what a coach is supposed to do?

He turned a ODI team that chased 18 straight targets, into a team that can barely defend or chase.

And for the record, I don't care if India win a series in Australia, and then lose every single ODI match, I would still want him out for ruining the team in one form of the game.
So basically, you don't give him any credit for creating a team that could chase that many, but all the blame when they stop.

Sounds fair. 8-)

And PS: We sucked at ODI before Chappell, and a cursory look at their record proves my point. The only reason we did so well in the middle was because of subcontinent pitches.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I understand you are member of a forum, and have the right to disagree. But you are clearly pointing at my knowledge of the game and attacking me. And I see no other intention in that post apart from making fun of my knowledge of the game.

You could disagree, but do you have to indirectly call me an idiot?
I'm not posting any differently to the way(s) I always have done on this on other forums. Until you provide evidence inside the posts for me to get at instead, I'll pull other stuff around and use that instead. Moral of that is make better posts and you'll get less one-liners aimed at you as there will be basis to build responses off.

Dravid

International Captain
So basically, you don't give him any credit for creating a team that could chase that many, but all the blame when they stop.

Sounds fair. 8-)

And PS: We sucked at ODI before Chappell, and a cursory look at their record proves my point. The only reason we did so well in the middle was because of subcontinent pitches.
I do give him credit for that. But he isn't a consistent coach.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Probably not... But even if we have a decent WC, keep him. Also, if we beat Pakistan, I don't care how bad a WC we had keep him. If we lose, I don't care if we end up winning the WC, fire him. Just don't lose to Pakistan!
:laugh:

Sure...care about it all you want, doesn't mean you sacrifice Test cricket for dumbass cricket.
You know SS, my boy, you really do have a penchant for taking the extreme position on EVERYTHING. We get it, Test cricket is the more important form of the game. I doubt many knowledgeable cricket fans will disagree with that. But to relegate ODI's as "dumbass cricket" is frankly asinine. ODI's are ALSO an important part of the game. It's not just important to dumbass fans, but to the players as well. So stop being an elitist to try to prove your point. It makes you look ignorant.

Incidently, I agree with your point about Chappell. I think he's done a terrific job for India and it would be harsh for him to be fired on the basis of a bad WC performance. And if he is, and assuming that Woolmer chooses not to return, I hope Pakistan pursue him aggresively for their team.

Dravid

International Captain
I'm not posting any differently to the way(s) I always have done on this on other forums. Until you provide evidence inside the posts for me to get at instead, I'll pull other stuff around and use that instead. Moral of that is make better posts and you'll get less one-liners aimed at you as there will be basis to build responses off.
And the moral of this post that I'm making right now is not everyone is SJS and doesn't make A+ posts. Doesn't mean you point out their mistakes.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You know SS, my boy, you really do have a penchant for taking the extreme position on EVERYTHING. We get it, Test cricket is the more important form of the game. I doubt many knowledgeable cricket fans will disagree with that. But to relegate ODI's as "dumbass cricket" is frankly asinine. ODI's are ALSO an important part of the game. It's not just important to dumbass fans, but to the players as well. So stop being an elitist to try to prove your point. It makes you look ignorant.
Fair enough, I shouldn't call it dumbass cricket. I like to watch ODI's too.

My point still stands that a bad ODI team should never, ever, be allowed to influence the decision if the test team is doing something historic. We are not talking about a 'good' thing. We're on the verge of some historic victories (back to back away series wins outside the subcontinent). Seriously, when does that EVER happen? How many decades since that happened? Thats what put me over the edge.

Dravid

International Captain
Fair enough. My point still stands that a bad ODI team should never, ever, be allowed to influence the decision if the test team is doing something historic. We are not talking about a 'good' thing. We're on the verge of some historic victories (back to back away series wins outside the subcontinent). Seriously, when does that EVER happen? How many decades since that happened? Thats what put me over the edge.
How many years since we won the world cup? ODI performance should come into count also SS.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And the moral of this post that I'm making right now is not everyone is SJS and doesn't make A+ posts. Doesn't mean you point out their mistakes.
What kind of attitude is that? If you don't want people to point out mistakes you may as well not bother posting.

Dravid

International Captain
Point out my mistakes, but making a comment like is your view on great like your view on off spin is not needed. You pointed out my mistake when I made the comment in the other thread, and I had no problem with that, and I even stated I did get owned by Neil. It was fine with me. But it was not needed for you to come here and point that out when I didn't do anything stupid, all I was doing was having an argument.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How many years since we won the world cup? ODI performance should come into count also SS.
And we never will, unless its played on subcontinent or subcontinent like tracks. I have a question - did you watch 2003 ODI. DIdn't anything stand out to you? Like, as an example, the high scoring games?

Why do you think we got so far? You think if the tracks were like the ones in the Champions Trophy or typical SA wickets, that we would have even gotten to the semi finals?

Dravid

International Captain
And we never will, unless its played on subcontinent or subcontinent like tracks. I have a question - did you watch 2003 ODI. DIdn't anything stand out to you? Like, as an example, the high scoring games?

Why do you think we got so far? You think if the tracks were like the ones in the Champions Trophy or typical SA wickets, that we would have even gotten to the semi finals?
So India winning this match on an Indian pitch would be great to you, but India winning ODI matches on Indian pitches wouldn't be great to you?

Shouldn't the coach like imrpove the team so we can win ODIs and world cups outside India and not just put his mind on only tests?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Point out my mistakes, but making a comment like is your view on great like your view on off spin is not needed. You pointed out my mistake when I made the comment in the other thread, and I had no problem with that, and I even stated I did get owned by Neil. It was fine with me. But it was not needed for you to come here and point that out when I didn't do anything stupid, all I was doing was having an argument.
Go back to the post. I was questioning your definitions of "great" and "ruined". I attempted to do it with the use of gentle mickey-taking.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So India winning this match on an Indian pitch would be great to you, but India winning ODI matches on Indian pitches wouldn't be great to you?
No, India winning on a very non-Subcontinental pitch in the 1st test match was the best for me.

Dravid said:
Shouldn't the coach like imrpove the team so we can win ODIs and world cups outside India and not just put his mind on only tests?
Who said he shouldn't? But irrespective of his successes in doing that (and it is also something we haven't done for decades), winning historic series more than makes up for it.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Fair enough, I shouldn't call it dumbass cricket. I like to watch ODI's too.

My point still stands that a bad ODI team should never, ever, be allowed to influence the decision if the test team is doing something historic. We are not talking about a 'good' thing. We're on the verge of some historic victories (back to back away series wins outside the subcontinent). Seriously, when does that EVER happen? How many decades since that happened? Thats what put me over the edge.
As it stands right now with India/Chappell, I agree with you. He has done a great enough job in Test cricket to have job security. He should even be applauded for the job he's done, IMO. However, let's just say for the sake of the argument that he turns India into England when it comes to ODI's, but continues to do well in Test. Well then I don't know how supportive I would be of him. I don't know if I would fire him, but if the ODI's performance stays crappy for a long time, I will begin to question him. His job is to make India better at CRICKET, not just TEST cricket. So if I was the boss, he would get a LOT of leeway with me for doing well in Tests, but that doesn't mean he's not accountable for ODI's. Have to take the Aussie approach and not show weakness in any form of the game. Also, I would suggest to you that if the team is consistently performing below standards in ODI's, then there is a deeper issue at work that needs to be fixed. You lose enough time in ODI's, and it will mess with a team's confidence. Most of that same team will also be playing Test cricket. Better to carry over positive vibes rather than negative, don't you agree?